Fender Blues Junior

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Vorbis »

I use the ac30 manual mode, dime the gain,volume on 7 master about half way, treble dimed and bass to taste, use the 'attenuator' at the back to control overall level.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Post by 1964 »

...But you've got the amp fs 'cause it doesn't stack up next to the real thing. :wink:

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Vorbis wrote:I use the ac30 manual mode, dime the gain,volume on 7 master about half way, treble dimed and bass to taste, use the 'attenuator' at the back to control overall level.
sweet cheers for that!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

1964 wrote:A set of JJ valves is a good choice, I reckon. Yes, you can experiment with NOS tubes, but you can do a lot worse than JJs, and I think they're an especially good choice for EL84 amps. IMO, stay well clear of the popular GTs, as they have a significantly higher failure rate.
Just be careful round those El84s. Reputation for beingas harsh as an icepick.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

offender wrote:
crushing day wrote:not in all cases.. i've owned both an AC30, and an AD50VT, and AB'd the 2 together... there was very little difference once you dialled in an accurate AC30 tone, even when cranked.
Do you have the settings you used for that tone? The VT's have the "preset" AC30 setting, did you find that you had to change some of the settings to get a sound closer to your actual AC30?
I don't have the actual settings written anywhere, and don't own either of the amps anymore. From memory it was the AC30 model, with the gain around 3 - 4... just enough to break up a little. The tone settings for the sound i was after would have been fairly light on the bass, with mids and treble pretty even, maybe around 6.
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Good point. i had the gain right up to give slight breakup,but I have very low output single coils
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

leave the rear attenuator set to full.

I always boost single coils guitars output with a bifet pre amp pedal. This is something I know that The Edge does with his strats. Polar Bear uses a Brian May treble boost for similar effect to push the input level into the amp.

I have a couple of the DOD bifet preamp pedals.. they sometimes pop up on TM for around $50 - $60.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I read that the master controlled the juice being put thru the tube, the volume controlled the 'level' of actual amp modelling and the knob on the back should be used for output volume...

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

Vorbis wrote:I read that the master controlled the juice being put thru the tube, the volume controlled the 'level' of actual amp modelling and the knob on the back should be used for output volume...
don't know about that... all i can tell you is that for the volume i played at, turning the attenuator down was not an option :). From memory the gain was at 3'ish, the channel volume was wound to the max, and then the master to set gigging volume (usually around halfway).
I could be wrong, but from the way the amp reacted and the master worked.. I wouldn't think that the master volume would control the level into the tube... :?

I have a couple if U2 samples somewhere using the AD50VT.. i'll try and dig them out.

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

crushing day wrote:I tried out a neat little amp today.. the Vox AD5 portable

They actually sound really good, have more than enough volume for home, and have the bulk of the AD series modelling features. If you want something for round the house, to take to a party, or in the caravan (heaven forbid) .. very very cool for $329.00
Hi Iain,
Not everyone is into VOX, but I like them and have played through a few over the years. That looks like a good little amp. Im sure sounds real good for its size too.

I just bought a AD50VT, and Im quite happy with it. It has got real nice clean tones, and quite useable distortion. I don't really like the sound of the "NuMetal" model, but the others are quite good, IMHO. Not so certain about the effects side, but they seem reasonable ..... probably better with some pedals ..... but yes ... nice amp so far. :)

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

i read somewhere that on a double blind test, guitarists cant tell the difference between tube preamp overdrive and SS preamp overdrive. the major difference is in the power section, and hence those hybrid amps are a con.[/quote]

:lol:[/quote]

Not all hybrids are a con ... IMHO. With the VOX ADVT amp range, as far as I'm aware, the tube is in the power amp, so they do sound warm and open.
But ... tone is a real subjective thing eh, I happen to really like the sound of an old Twin wound up for cleaner types of playing ...., Marshalls sound really good wound up, So do quite a few of the Hi Octane USA boutique amps ..... its just a damn shame I can't afford them all !! :) And ...... there are some very very good sounding ss amps around now to. Not like a lot of the crap that was flogged off a few years ago, as sounding valve-like. Now there are some excellent amps out there, without a valve to be seen !! :D

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Grant, you could have bought my ad50. S'only 2 months old.

And If I'd have known you were an nzg member I would'nt have ignored your question...sorry dude...Have had a few tyre-kicking freaks turn up over the years....

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

Vorbis wrote:Grant, you could have bought my ad50. S'only 2 months old.
Oh ok ... yes I wasn't looking on TM for one. I just bought one from my local music store - Music Mayhem in Kamo, WHG. They had one there that was 6 months old and in excellent condition. The guy who owned it traded up to one of the bigger Vox ADVT models. I sold my Behringer V-Ampire LX210, which was a real good amp ..... but it didn't have quite the tone I was after. I think the VOX has got some real nice tones in it (to my aging ears anyway)

Have you sold your amp, or have you stil got it on TM ? It should sell ok I would think.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Closes tomorrow...sorry have you mixed up with another grant then.

What price did they have on the amp at mayhem? I would have thought around $500 for one in very good condition.

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

Yes they were asking $599 for it, and I thought that was pretty fair as it was pretty much new, and they are about $800 new I think ... or somewhere around there. I was happy with the deal I got with my LX210 amp, so yes ... the Vox suits me better. Im happy :)

And yes I probably am the same Grant !! :) I did put in a question on a AD50VT, but I didn't get a reply .... so forgot about TM, ....and then found this one at Mayhem and I like dealing with Brett and the guys there, and as I m just up the road from the shop .... you gotta keep it local .. when you can, eh !! (not counting Iain .. of course :lol: )

Aint this is an expensive interest to have !! Still .... gotta have some vices, eh !!! lol :lol: