Fender Blues Junior

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by 1964 »

malevolentsparkle wrote:i read somewhere that on a double blind test, guitarists cant tell the difference between tube preamp overdrive and SS preamp overdrive. the major difference is in the power section, and hence those hybrid amps are a con.
Nonsense!!

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

crushing day wrote:leave the rear attenuator set to full.
Why do you advise that? Some people say that its not really a power brake at all but just another volume, not sure how they know (But it occurred to me surely a proper brake after the power stage would need to dissapate all the energy somehow?

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Grant wrote:Yes they were asking $599 for it, and I thought that was pretty fair as it was pretty much new, and they are about $800 new I think ... or somewhere around there. I was happy with the deal I got with my LX210 amp, so yes ... the Vox suits me better. Im happy :)
I've got the AD30VT and its an incredibly versatile amp. I swapped the speaker out for a celestion G10, but from memory the AD50VT comes with celestions in it? The effects are ok, you have to to play around with the settings a bit. I also got the footswitch for it so I could switch between three channels (I find the effects activation mode of the footswitch doesn't control the effects as expected between different channels)

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

offender wrote:
crushing day wrote:leave the rear attenuator set to full.
Why do you advise that? Some people say that its not really a power brake at all but just another volume, not sure how they know (But it occurred to me surely a proper brake after the power stage would need to dissapate all the energy somehow?

I reckon the attenuator could be just another volume control..

I found from my experience that it was better to leave it set to full, ignore it and adjust the overall volume with the master. In my case i had to leave it on full, as i needed most of the volume the amp would deliver.
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I found with the master on full, the amp sounded mushy with higher gain models. Hence my comment about the master controlling tube saturation.
I guess you just set it to whatever sounds good to your ears.

I was saying to Grant that for around one-third the price of a decent tube amp, you get 80% of the tone, less maintanence and more versatility.

I still stand by my comments tho', put this next to a good tube amp, and the tube will eat it for breakfast when it comes to clarity,dynamics and response.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Grant
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Grant »

[
I've got the AD30VT and its an incredibly versatile amp. I swapped the speaker out for a celestion G10, but from memory the AD50VT comes with celestions in it? The effects are ok, you have to to play around with the settings a bit. I also got the footswitch for it so I could switch between three channels (I find the effects activation mode of the footswitch doesn't control the effects as expected between different channels)[/quote]

Yes I looked at a new 30 watt, and could easily have bought one, but it was the same price as the virtually new 50watt, so thought I would go with a little more grunt. Im sure the more I play around with this amp, the more I will enjoy it. I found that straight off using it on manual setting I could dial in some really nice tone. I'll need to read through the manual and get into tweaking some of the effects parameters to suit me.
I got a 2 switch pedal thrown in, but its not a Vox one. I haven't tried it yet but will get around to it soon. Im kinda happy just playing through the AC30, Tweed 4x10, etc and just enjoying it!
Im pretty sure I have made a good choice. I've owned heaps of amps, and so far Im inclined to rate this as a good one.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

Vorbis wrote:I found with the master on full, the amp sounded mushy with higher gain models. Hence my comment about the master controlling tube saturation.
Sorry, should have said that my posts are all based around getting an AC30 tone. I can't really comment on the other models, as i only ever used the amp for that one application.
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

1964 wrote:
malevolentsparkle wrote:i read somewhere that on a double blind test, guitarists cant tell the difference between tube preamp overdrive and SS preamp overdrive. the major difference is in the power section, and hence those hybrid amps are a con.
Nonsense!!
Obviously someone believed it was true.

Vox Cambridge 30 comes to mind in this case. A very good ss channel that would scare a number of tube amps.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I thought that comment was purely sarcastic... :?:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I have both tube and transistor OD on my amp and I can't hear any appreciable difference. But then again, I didn't buy the amp for the tube in the front end, as I'm no longer interested in the valve story.

I bought it because the price was right and I wanted a cheap, light 2x12 combo with on-board effects to replace my 1x12 combo with only reverb on board. I must admit I also wanted something different to everyone else, too. :)

I'm happy with my choice.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

The laneys that Tsuken and I both have are supposed to be tube preamped... however I've looked very carefully and can't find a conceivable place frmo which tubes could be replaced... But then it doesn't bother me, I love the soudn I get from it and that's enough.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Those Laneys are a great amp.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Ed - my tube is tucked up inside the amp - can't be seen from the back like a normal tube amp. Maybe your Laney is the same?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...