Best amp for 5-600 dollars

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Best amp for 5-600 dollars

Post by mr_sooty »

bluesgeek wrote:
If you're mic'd up whats the problem? don't they provide monitoring at these places?
Yeah, but in my experience, Ninja insists on being the loudest thing on stage by miles. We have in-ear monitors, but we're usually about one pack short. Ninja often misses out, although maybe I should miss out instead of him, given that I'm always getting the ear bashing for him playing too loud in the wrong places.

Ninja, I reckon if GH takes his Blues Deluxe away, you should just find one of those on Trade Me. Might have to spend more like 8 or 9, but on the other hand, you could strike it lucky.

By the way, when are you going to send me those files?

NZ__Ninja
Squier
Been liked: 1 time

Post by NZ__Ninja »

mr_sooty wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:
If you're mic'd up whats the problem? don't they provide monitoring at these places?
Yeah, but in my experience, Ninja insists on being the loudest thing on stage by miles. We have in-ear monitors, but we're usually about one pack short. Ninja often misses out, although maybe I should miss out instead of him, given that I'm always getting the ear bashing for him playing too loud in the wrong places.

Ninja, I reckon if GH takes his Blues Deluxe away, you should just find one of those on Trade Me. Might have to spend more like 8 or 9, but on the other hand, you could strike it lucky.

By the way, when are you going to send me those files?
:lol: :lol: thanks for your kind words. sooty just gets anoyed when i solo over him.

gray offered me 1700 + fender blues deluxe for my gretsh. what do you reckon? i could try push for 1850?
Les Paul standard with Bareknuckle rebel yells
Ernie ball volume > Boss TU2 > Boss CS3 modded > Barber LTD >G2D Standard > Boss DD5 > TC nova repeater
Fender Blues Deluxe

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

mr_sooty wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:
Yeah, but in my experience, Ninja insists on being the loudest thing on stage by miles.
that won't happen for under 600 bucks... if its clean you're after, watch out for a Roland Jazz Chorus or similar solid state :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Gunn 50 with a couple of KT88s :wink: 8)
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Hmmm... I have a Roland Jazz chorus.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ironbird13 wrote:Gunn 50 with a couple of KT88s :wink: 8)
clean headroom? maybe a Gunn 200 with a quad of KT88's :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

bluesgeek wrote:
you still got that?

that thing must be insanely loud :twisted: :twisted: 8)
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ironbird13 wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:
you still got that?

that thing must be insanely loud :twisted: :twisted: 8)
No :( I wish I'd kept it though ;) Stupidly insanely loud :D but lots of headroom haha

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

bluesgeek wrote:No :( I wish I'd kept it though ;) Stupidly insanely loud :D but lots of headroom haha
yeah havnt turned mine past 3 (9 oclock) inside the house, dont want to have to ring the glasier :wink:

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

NZ__Ninja wrote:
rocklander wrote: :? will 130 watts of tube amp be loud enough though?

you could help ant out though
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 178607.htm
:lol: :lol: , wasnt thinking quite so ugly...
:? I was being serious. thought you said the exterior wasn't important and if ant has built an amp that s half as good as his breadth of knowledge is suggested by his posts then you'd be onto a good score.
may be shy of the wattage you're after though.. :|
raz wrote:The biggest criticism of them was that they had so much headroom you had to play at the volume of a 747 taking off to get them to break up.
I've also heard that they were more prone to reliability issues than their competitors of the time? any truth to that?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

DC has one of the basketweave ones and I'm sure he'll chime in if we point him at the thread - I'm pretty sure he's had it since new with nothing other than the odd valve change and valve base tensioning... he also had a later one which I don't think he was that impressed with? They do take pedals though, but are a bit picky - his cusack fuzzscreamer was wrong for that amp, but a fuzziebro and bad monkey sounds ok.

Nice cab and chassis for a Mesa clone project though ;)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

hard to beat the Rocket for that sort of Do ray me :P

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

did The Scarecrow have one of them viper 50's?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 657966.htm

are they any good?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

rocklander wrote:did The Scarecrow have one of them viper 50's?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 657966.htm

are they any good?
*UNIQUE* had one.

I say shite, but he liked it :)
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

bluesgeek wrote:DC has one of the basketweave ones and I'm sure he'll chime in if we point him at the thread - I'm pretty sure he's had it since new with nothing other than the odd valve change and valve base tensioning... he also had a later one which I don't think he was that impressed with? They do take pedals though, but are a bit picky - his cusack fuzzscreamer was wrong for that amp, but a fuzziebro and bad monkey sounds ok.

Nice cab and chassis for a Mesa clone project though ;)
You called? :D

I've had some amazing times with my Rockit. It's definitely female though, 'cos you never know how it's gonna feel.

As BG says, super reliable too.