Matchless Amps....anyone know anything about them?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by B45-12 »

Yes that's true - but at least they are not wasting it on mundane things.

When you say the matchless was limited Phil what do you mean - tonewise/vol or what???
You can't do THAT on stage!

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Bluesbird wrote: Matchless and Victoria were the only two companies willing to commit to buying enough resistors to have Allen Bradley make the same resistors used in early Fender amps, valued for the tonal qualities. So if it's not a Matchless or Victoria, it doesn't have Allen Bradley resistors! :wink:
Unless of course it's an early Fender amp - :lol: Or the amp has been built from recycled parts stripped from early Fender amps - then there are the Doc Kaufman amps, plus I wonder who else Allen Bradley sold resistors to??

But did they also remake the hookup wire and the solder used in these early amps? - inquiring minds want to know as those joints/wire are going to add temendously to the tone and without the right solder - well let's just say it's not really authentic eh??

Nah just joking mate!
You can't do THAT on stage!

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Freight was $US650 from North Carolina (They are built in California and the factory would have supplied one but at full retail) The place I bought it from came up with a total figure $US700 less than any other source I tried. So basically I got it freight-free.
No Duty, just GST
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

Well what an interesting night. I got home with my repaired Boogie and it really couldnt hold a candle to the tone I was getting from the Matchless.

So I played away at home working out how I could use it live. When I say its not versatile there are two channels but you need an external A/B pedal to work them. You have to set both channels with the same gain otherwise the volume difference is huge, this means for different songs you have to alter the two channels gains and master volume (up to half way, you can leave the MV off).
I decided to take only the Matchless to the gig. It was superb, even drawing compliments from the rest of the band
It peaks out gain-wise at classic rock tones, metal will need a pedal. Transitions from clean to distortion really cant be done.
Basically I am learning a whole new method whereby I manipulate the sound from the guitar playing style. Its fun.

It has an effects loop for each channel which makes it unusable unless you want 2 of everything. Really, effects have to go in front. It wont need many.

Anyway, its 5am, i just got back from the gig, feeling very pleased. I'll post more tomorrow.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

sounds great :) sounds brave gigging it before you'd practiced with it though :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

that's quite a big difference, US$250 and US$650

i guess it depends who the seller wants to ship with.. im surprised fedex did it for $250. I had a guitar shipped by them it took 6 days and US$180 :evil:

i think a triple rectumfryer head would cost as much to ship.. then i would need a cab... damn :(

what do you guys think of the nomad 55 4x10.. good amp? worth the money and effort importing one?

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

A head should be cheaper to ship, if anything. It will be lighter without the larger cabinet and speakers of a combo. I think most of the flights here come from LA, and the shop I bought my amp being so nearby probably made it a little cheaper too.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

Yeah, but the Matchless is huge and 90lbs. And it effectively came twice the distance.

BG, I had practiced all week, hardly did any work. At first I thought it so bad I stuck it on trademe for what it cost me. Man, I'm so glad now nobody took the rediculous BIN. Of course it takes at least 20 hours of hard playing before a new tube amp "beds" in. I should have known.

AYP, I think all Mesa Boogies are good but just browsing the Auckland stores, there seems to be a hell of a lot of them for sale, mostly been sitting in there for ages. I wouldnt rule out trying some and making a stupid offer. Most interest these days is in the Rectumfryer, F series, Mark series. I havce been told Rectoverbs/Tremoverbs are fantastic, collectors pieces, then there are the Lonestar and Road King powerhouses. Somewhere under that are the DC, Nomad, Blue Angel series, good amps but not as common.

The main trouble is having to run it through an adapter. They use a lot of power so an adapter would be $300 or so, or you could look into replacement bits.
Last edited by philipnz on Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

Time for a gear shot,

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

mate, I hope that accordion has been retro fitted with midi ;) That reminds me that I must get a Rickenbacker at some point :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

If you heard me play it you would hope its been retro fitted with cotton wool.
I was my dads and rocked many a party in its day. I can play it but its only there for sentimental reasons, much like the Steinberger :wink:

Mmmmmmmm, the Ricky might be for sale. I just got a price from Gibson on this

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

What happened to the Explorer ?

It seem to be a day for the family pictures.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

lovely top on that :)

what was the saying - "A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the accordian - but doesn't"

No more toys for me this year, just got my tax bill :eek: so I may be leaving the country....

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

have you been spending you tax money on gear ? :wink:

Yip a 12 string with that top is stunning. Rickers just have too much gingle jangle for me.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nope but my crap accountant forgot to mention something called provisional tax, so my bill is twice what I thought it was going to be