Info on Fender Twins needed.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

check out that mesa boogie DC-10 for $1300 no reserve

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Trademe is mad with amps at the moment

My JMP
An 83 JCM
A JMT45
The Boogie DC-10 and a few others
The Fender Twin
The bassman (i bid)
The orange ad15 (i bid, i want)
JC160

That fender ultimate chorus is nice for a solid state. I tried one once
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Go for a modern(90s +) reissue Twin if you can as there are too many issues with the silver face late 60s and 70s ones.
Dial up the Fender Forum for info.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I'd keep away from the locally made silverface twins. Not a highpoint in the history of fender amps. Genuine overseas made silverface twins aren't bad, and can be 'blackfaced' and generally improved by a good technician.

the twin reverb 2 from the late 70s-early 80s is a bit of a sleeper. It was part of the series of fenders redesigned by Paul Rivera, and is a good amp.

The red knob 'evil' twins aren't actually that bad. I'm not a huge fan of the overdrive, but the clean is pretty good.

The reissue 65 twin is a nice amp. Not to my taste (I'm not really into blackface-era amps), but a classic clean tone.

As for the newish pro-tube series twin, I didn't really like the one I tried. I was very impressed with the concert from the same series, though that thing weighed even more was was pretty expensive for a production line amp.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Has anyone had any experience with a Mesa Dc10? I have read some reviews and it sounds like a great amp it also sounds like it fits what I'm looking for.

Is 1,800 a good price?

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

sounds like a great deal to me.. 1300 no reserve, buy now 1800 you might even get it cheaper than that!

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai

Post by goldtop0 »

The DC-10 is one gutsy versatile mutha new in the old days around $4500 from memory so $1800s a steal.

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Yeah, thats a great amp
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

if i had that much cash i'd press the buy now.. or at least hit the reserve and take a chance so nobody else can use the buy now..

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Yeah problem is I don't have that kinda cash lying around. I gotta convince the parents and soon! Oh god...

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai

Post by goldtop0 »

Tell them you'll pay them back from the gigs you will be doing..........does that help :?

lowslung
Stagg
Stagg

Post by lowslung »

"I'd keep away from the locally made silverface twins. Not a highpoint in the history of fender amps."

Does anyone know whats actually wrong with NZ assembled sf twins?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Cheap transformers, speakers and other componentry and less than exemplary wiring, from what I've gleaned over the years. Add this to the fact that even US silverface twins had undesirable circuit tweaks and economised componentry, and it adds up to a less-than stellar amp. That said, a decent technician can work wonders.

Spotting local vs imported silverface twins used to be something of a sport in local shops during years past. I remember when the very mention of an NZ assembled twin would make entire staff break out in 'who farted?' faces.

In my opinion, any 'desirability' such late silverface amps have is due to the worst and funniest aspect of the vintage craze that has been going on since the late 80s. For the longest time, you could get silverface amps and 70s strats, teles etc for next to nothing, as they were universally known to be the worst fender instruments ever made (Norlin-era gibsons, too).

Then, one day, Guitar Center in the US pretty much runs out of 60s-era stuff to buy up, and instructs staff to buy over the odds for 70s stuff. The result is the same stuff that started the whole vintage craze (because it was so crap) starts slowly rising in value. Now you see fashionable bands playing things like tele deluxes, which were thrown together (literally, you should see some of the neck joints) out of the fender spare parts bin, and you start seeing them go for US $3000 and up. That is ludicrous to the point of high comedy, especially considering the mexican 70s ris are far superior to the originals in almost every aspect.

there are local variations on this theme, too. Jansen Bassmans going for over 400 dollars? -it's one thing to get misty-eyed over old gear (and great to be proud of Kiwi stuff), but are these people deaf?

Oooops, bit of a rant.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I've got a Jansen Bassman, and I'm not deaf, it sounds fucking awesome. Smae goes for a Holden Wasp, got one, and it is magnificent, I'd pay a lot for the Holden, especially as I had it refinished.
Although I know what you mean, you see it a lot with 'vintage' guitars, those Harmony, Diplomat et als on Trademe goign for silly money dispite being horrific.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Polar Bear wrote:I've got a Jansen Bassman, and I'm not deaf, it sounds fucking awesome. Smae goes for a Holden Wasp, got one, and it is magnificent, I'd pay a lot for the Holden, especially as I had it refinished.
Although I know what you mean, you see it a lot with 'vintage' guitars, those Harmony, Diplomat et als on Trademe goign for silly money dispite being horrific.
I'm sure you're not deaf, but let's face it, Dumbles they ain't. Those amps definitely have their place, though, and I'd get some if the price was right. My point is they are becoming overpriced as some notion of 'vintage' value is assigned to them, when the truth is we're talking about lower quality copies of some less sought after 70s era amps here.

I'd consider them good value at a low price, but once the prices climb up, that value factor drains away pretty quickly. Of course, the sheer lack of any point-to-point valve amps on the local market means these things will probably continue to rise in value.