tube warming/cooling

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kerchang
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: tube warming/cooling

Post by Kerchang »

oolaef wrote:just playing my new jcm900 today.. noticed it sounded CRAP when i started playing (just after leaving standby on for 30 secs) but gradually came right.. playing it in the weekend where it had been on for hours it sounded freakin awesome..

which begs the question: how long are you supposed to leave amps on standby before you start playing, and how long after?
Most manufacturers (like Mesa Boogie and Marshall) reccomend at least 30 secs warm up and don't mention cool down at all. I usually put my amp on standby while I tune my guitar and faf about getting the leads sorted etc. As for cool down I usually leave it for about 5 mins but it really depends on how hot the amp is, if its been really working hard I leave it on standby while I put stuff away.

Just on the subject of new tubes - new tubes take about 4-6 hours of playing to burn in and sound sweet. Prior to that they can sound fairly harsh. Apparently you can overcome this by using cryo treated tubes - Captain Black is a bit of an expert on that if your interested.

Hope it helps.
Live at the Filament!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

I don't have standby :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Haha, reshpect

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

thehenderson wrote:Haha, reshpect
thank you mishter bond.... :)

I don't have standby buy my amp goes all the way up to number 12 :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

My amp goes all the way up to 12 too :D

my bassman totally defeats your peavey, assuming they're fighting

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ah but your bassman is a heavyweight, therefore punchdrunk, sluggish and slow like mohammed ali (durka durka) is now, whereas my peavey is quick and nimble on its feet - it would avoid your bassman's telegraphed 'haymakers' easily.... and it was much cheaper :P

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

you make a few decent points,

never the less my bassman has its miniture friend the space echo, which will trip your nimble peavey classic up. This will allow the assman to justify his name

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Rog wrote:very interesting - must be a nice warm feeling -how about on your valves?

Ha ha ha haaaa (end fake sarcastic laugh) :lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

thehenderson wrote:you make a few decent points,

never the less my bassman has its miniture friend the space echo, which will trip your nimble peavey classic up. This will allow the assman to justify his name
ah yes but (badly dubbed english) my XT Pod will come first, and strike your echo the dreaded 5 point ninja jab, leaving the way clear for my delta to show the bassman the deadly knee-groin assault... and we laugh in the face of your fury, somebody set up us the bomb, you are on the way to destruction, all your bases are belong to us.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

bluesgeek wrote:ah yes but (badly dubbed english) my XT Pod will come first, and strike your echo the dreaded 5 point ninja jab, leaving the way clear for my delta to show the bassman the deadly knee-groin assault... and we laugh in the face of your fury, somebody set up us the bomb, you are on the way to destruction, all your bases are belong to us.
Hey... you mouth was totally not moving in time with what you were saying. And why are you wearing that ridiculous samari outfit? :?
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Gelato wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:ah yes but (badly dubbed english) my XT Pod will come first, and strike your echo the dreaded 5 point ninja jab, leaving the way clear for my delta to show the bassman the deadly knee-groin assault... and we laugh in the face of your fury, somebody set up us the bomb, you are on the way to destruction, all your bases are belong to us.
Hey... you mouth was totally not moving in time with what you were saying. And why are you wearing that ridiculous samari outfit? :?
What? I missed that. I was concentrating on the subtitles...

:wink: :roll:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ok, here it is again in musical form...

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/content.p ... =550&h=400