Peavey Valveking.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by thehenderson »

Haha, yeah, there's that one going for a grand on trademe. It almost becomes worth buying one

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

Theres a grand one, and a 4 grand one. What am i missing? I've never really used marshall before so how would it cope with the Pod?
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace what ever may come.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Ones forsale and the other is just a wang
;)

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

mode fours are solid state amps and they cost alot brand new and it is generaly agreed that they sound bad

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

350 Watt is pretty extreme lol, i want to practise with my band, not blow them away. I dunno i've got a bit of money i just want to spend it before i buy something else like a car, i'm a very bad impulse buyer. I suppose the VK has a nice enough tone and what not that i wouldn't really need a Pod, i just liked the idea of versitlity.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

A nice OD or distortion and youll be good

its 350 watt solid state

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

I'll go into the local store tomorrow and take my car and trash away for a bit, guy there likes tool and has a Pod so i'll get him to bring it and i'll see if it really would be worth even getting one

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

What is it about the Pod that you like? Amp settings, effects ...range of settings. "flang" ;)

Sometimes its good to buy something like that until you know what you want. Then get the pedals you use the most with an amp you like and then you are sorted.

If you want to sound like Gary moore in your bed room they are great. They will make most amps sound the same, hence getting the SS amp.

But if you want to rawk and have street cred then get the VK and a few favourite pedals.
tuner, delay ,OD ,wah and maybe a flange. And work on getting the sound you want from these.

I have Boss GT3 here. Great for the study. But gigging with it is hard work. A decent OD pedal and tuner seem to work better live.
But diferent strokes for different folks. :)

The great thing about music gear is there is always trademe.

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

Haha yeah and as long as you look after gear it doesn't drop that much in price. I'd probably want the Pod mainly for Acoustic effects like reverb and things that i can change on the fly, and probably a few distortions

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

How about getting an acoustic then :)

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

you'll need the pedalboard to patch-surf tho.

it's a pain tweaking knobs and using your fingers to change patches while you're playing.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

Pods tend to sound pretty dreadful with valve amps, as the pod emulates a valve amp.... even with a clean solid state they can still be a bitch to set up and get a good sound. Best bet is a s/s power amp and cab and using the pod as the preamp for it. Another option would be a powered monitor wedge or similar, some of those can push out 2-300 watts, you could also direct into the PA at the same time and use the monitor as it was intended ;)

To use the XT live, you definitely need as a minimum a shortboard, you may as well just buy an XT Live anyway to begin with - powersupply's can be bought from the Rockshop for $60 so you could, in theory buy an XT from music 123 and just get a 240 powersupply from the Rockshop.

I've tried using my xt through many different amps/combinations and its never sounded as good as it does through headphones etc.... just buy a good amp and outboard effects! I recently bought a Line 6 DL-4 which is basically the delay effects section from the Pod and sounds fantastic - true bypass as well ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Short answer: by my VK and get some decent pedals, amigo. It worked for me, and I borrowed a POD last year for some shows. Just too hard to set up the fly.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

The Scarecrow wrote:Short answer: by my VK and get some decent pedals, amigo. It worked for me, and I borrowed a POD last year for some shows. Just too hard to set up the fly.

Haha yeah sounds like a good idea. All i'm waiting on now is this guy to buy my car.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

we're all waiting.. :D