great clean amp that sounds awesome pushed with OD pedals

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 815 times

Re: great clean amp that sounds awesome pushed with OD pedals

Post by hamo »

Jenesis wrote:Just checked - $1499 for the V50 combo. I imagine you'd find that well worth trying out if there is one locally.
I need to go Wallace and Gromit on it and have a grand day out - amp shopping that is. Or really window shopping. Or tyre kicking perhaps.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

the new ones aren't made in the US and have digital fx built in :eek:

Keep an eye out on TM, they crop up from time to time ;) The V50 is good enough for the Rev. Billy Gibbons ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

My V30 may be up for grabs soonish ... maybe :o
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

snitchez wrote:16000

in monopoly money =p
Hmm, tempting, what is the current exchange rate between Monopoly dollars and NZ dollars?

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

crushing day wrote:My V30 may be up for grabs soonish ... maybe :o
:o

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

Bags first dibs on it!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Sounds like something better on the way for CD? :P

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 776 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Miza »

How much approx? Real or Monoploy money, I have more of the latter.
Nothing to see here.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

NZ__Ninja wrote:
how loud can they go? our church has just moved to the micheal fowler centre if you know your wellington venues, its the third? largest venue in the city so ill be playing there quite regularly. would it be able to hold its own in a 2500 seat venue? miked up as well.
Thats a big stage. I would go with 30 watt, unless you have a great monitor system, in which case 10-15 would be plenty.

Personally, I think the Chinese Voxes sound great - and they are far more reliable than the 80s/90s UK ones and frankly they sound better too.
Also the Vox sound fits into church music well - it's a little cliche, but they do that tone very well.
If you get Fender Hot Rod, expect to spend some money to really get it sounding good. They a need a speaker upgrade and come with awful tubes. After a few upgrades they can have a stunning clean and a very good dumble-esq drive channel, maybe too dark for rythmn but great for lead.
There is also the Victoria amps if you are into the vintage thing, and boogies are always a good option too.

And seeing you're in Wellington, the Bogner Shiva at mojosound is worth a try, amazing amp!

Prettym much get out a try a bunch of stuff until something feels right. Then buy it.

You at Arise?
Say hi to Andy and Iopu for me.
Ben

crunchy as kellogs
Squier

Post by crunchy as kellogs »

+1 for Bogner Shiva
"Guitar playing isnt a competition, but Jeff Beck is the best" - Ritchie Sambora

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

TMG 03 wrote:Sounds like something better on the way for CD? :P
maybeeeee ..........
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

NZ__Ninja
Squier
Been liked: 1 time

Post by NZ__Ninja »

bbrunskill wrote:
NZ__Ninja wrote:
how loud can they go? our church has just moved to the micheal fowler centre if you know your wellington venues, its the third? largest venue in the city so ill be playing there quite regularly. would it be able to hold its own in a 2500 seat venue? miked up as well.
Thats a big stage. I would go with 30 watt, unless you have a great monitor system, in which case 10-15 would be plenty.

Personally, I think the Chinese Voxes sound great - and they are far more reliable than the 80s/90s UK ones and frankly they sound better too.
Also the Vox sound fits into church music well - it's a little cliche, but they do that tone very well.
If you get Fender Hot Rod, expect to spend some money to really get it sounding good. They a need a speaker upgrade and come with awful tubes. After a few upgrades they can have a stunning clean and a very good dumble-esq drive channel, maybe too dark for rythmn but great for lead.
There is also the Victoria amps if you are into the vintage thing, and boogies are always a good option too.

And seeing you're in Wellington, the Bogner Shiva at mojosound is worth a try, amazing amp!

Prettym much get out a try a bunch of stuff until something feels right. Then buy it.

You at Arise?
Say hi to Andy and Iopu for me.
Ben
Hi mate,

yeah im at arise aye, yeah i will! Ben was it?
im actualy borrowing andy hamiltons pedal board and was borrowing his vox ac15.
the ac15 sounded really good which made me want to get a AC30 but i cant decide what to get out of that or a blackstar artisan 30 watt combo (what do you think the blackstar would be like for church?) or just somthing cheaper like a fender blues or peavey classic etc. those first two amps would take alot of saving!.
also have you heard of a laney LC30? what do you know about those?
Les Paul standard with Bareknuckle rebel yells
Ernie ball volume > Boss TU2 > Boss CS3 modded > Barber LTD >G2D Standard > Boss DD5 > TC nova repeater
Fender Blues Deluxe

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

lol. your price range seems to be fluctuating as you do more and more research into amps. i think a piece of advice would be to stick in your price range! find out what you can afford to spend, and look around that mark. helps save your eyes from growing bigger and bigger each time you see a nicer amp. its hard..... i would know =p im still working on it!

andy's amp is a handwired heritage series. which circuit are you liking on it? and bare in mind, that the ac15 and ac30 would eventually be quite different yet similar amp. larger enclosure, extra speaker. all plays a part

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

The broadcast king would be a great option IMHO. The Bogner Shiva is an amazing amp but it's a bit over $4k I think. (Don't let the price put you off)

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

NZ__Ninja wrote:
Hi mate,

yeah im at arise aye, yeah i will! Ben was it?
im actualy borrowing andy hamiltons pedal board and was borrowing his vox ac15.
the ac15 sounded really good which made me want to get a AC30 but i cant decide what to get out of that or a blackstar artisan 30 watt combo (what do you think the blackstar would be like for church?) or just somthing cheaper like a fender blues or peavey classic etc. those first two amps would take alot of saving!.
also have you heard of a laney LC30? what do you know about those?
I suggest you save and get something you like the sound of rather than compromise and end up having to mod like crazy or eventually sell the amp and buy what you wanted in the first place. If you know a sound you like, look for amps that can do that sound.

It seems to me you'd like something voxy, and that would certainly suit the work you're doing (on TGP, 'worship' seems to be code for 'AC30 and delay'). In that sense, I don't recommend the fenders or PV classic. The Blackstar I tried was the 15, and that was more marshall voiced than vox voiced, and I imagine the 30 will be similar. Perhaps a good compromise for your tastes and budget would be an AC30CC head and a cab of some sort. Also, if you can try rehearsing at the new venue with your friend's AC15, you'll quickly get an idea of whether lower wattage amps will serve you better (and what the soundguy wants and can do for you), and whether you really need to be pushing the wattage up.

The 6l6 Shiva is an altogether different amp than the stuff we've been discussing, more in the fender camp to my ears, but with a beautifully balanced medium gain overdrive channel. I asolutely love that amp, it's my second favorite of all the bogners I've tried and well worth a try. But you're not going to hear 'vox'. I imagine the Voxiest bogner would be the Metropolis. Also, when you get to this price range, you can look into the 65 London, Soho and Marquee, all of which do superb Voxy tones (better to my ear than anything discussed sofar, esp new voxes) and a few other tricks.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?