solid state or valve

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

DarcyPerry wrote:You have to replace the tubes? Bugger. :shock:

I haven't replaced mine. I bought the amp new in 1998! :shock:

Hell, it still sounds fine to me :twisted:
Yeah, I reckon this whole reliability thing is bull - everyone knows when you think it might time to re-tube you simply buy another valve amp, therefore diluting the actual playing time of any of your amps and ultimately avoiding the re-tube thing altogther. Aye bg, TMG, me. etc etc....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

ah yes.. i've never owned a single tube amp long enough that it needed a retube :D

besides even if i did keep it for say.. umm.. 3 years or so.. i wouldn't have played it enough to need a retube.

that's why you have 4 tube amps aye BG?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:
only need the tubes replacing every couple of years
That's the part that gets me. $300 every couple of years for new tubes...
The amount of playing your amp gets I reckon you could go 10 to 15 years between a service :P you only use them to gig and I bet they never get pushed into overdrive :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

LOL- you'd be right there, BG. I actually don't like distortion, other than for very subtle touches...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

angry_young_poet wrote:that's why you have 4 tube amps aye BG?
nope, thats sheer greed ;)

I only bought the last one to keep up with the Capn' and because I blew an output tube on the Jansen a little while ago and haven't got around to Clarry's new place yet!

Everybody complains about the weight thing as well, my Crate is as light as a feather and a comparable weight to a 100 Watt solid state, which it would beat to a shitty pulp even though its only a 30watt.

The new Gunn puts out a measured 180watt RMS :eek: and weighs only a little more, certainly half of my pedalboard ;)

The JC120 is a fukn heavy amp!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

The ac30cc2 is bloody heavy too, just as well I'm not playing out...I can't lift the thing at the moment with my rooted shoulder.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

:? I wonder why "humphreybear" hasn't posted any replies? way to wind up the age old debate about s/s vs value dude :roll:

my $1.50....I go for s/s for the consistant tone, turn the bugger on and it sound the same everyday....but hell I do miss the tone of a great tube amp as well (only for a minute though) then I remember the volume required to get that tone (not good for the marriage) and how when you go out for a piss and come back and you say "didn't it sound better before" and what do you do? turn it up LOUDER (did anyone say divorce)

all you need to know....if you play in a 2 guitar band and the other guitarist has a tube amp, then you need a tube amp because a s/s will be completely drowned out (although the last guy I jammed with had a line 6 amp thingy and that fucker was loud as hell)
:oops:

I use s/s for recording because you can do it at low volume and it still sound killer

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Vorbis wrote:The ac30cc2 is bloody heavy too, just as well I'm not playing out...I can't lift the thing at the moment with my rooted shoulder.
thats why its much wiser to buy seperates, get a 4x12 with wheels, a 2 x12, 1 x 12 and a different head for each day of the week

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

i dont really care as long as its fuken HEAVYYYYYY, tone ofcourse not wieght.
Metal up your ass bitches.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bc_rich_ wrote:i dont really care as long as its fuken HEAVYYYYYY, tone ofcourse not wieght.
can't have one without the other....

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

true...very true... but my samick 10 watters heavy 8) but only good for a paperweight.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bc_rich_ wrote:true...very true... but my samick 10 watters heavy 8) but only good for a paperweight.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

you have a long way to go yet young Padawan....

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

i was thinkin of goin straight from tha samick to tha dual rec? :D build me up sum muscles

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Hehe... it's funny how we rehash the same opinions over and over...

One man's tone is another man's... uh... bad tone. :D

Plus with the Dimebag thing, I'm betting there was a buttload of $$$ involved. Do remember that Randall and Washburn are sister companies under US Music. He was dropped from Washburn just before he started going to Dean, Krank, etc.

Neways, I like his tone in any case. And others hate it. There's really no telling someone they like something if they don't, or vice versa is there?

God rest his soul but that man was an endorsement machine. In a few years time we woulda had Dimebag undies :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Don't forget there's a bunch of old farts who had never heard of Dimebag until he died... mind you there's many a muso whose popularity only peaked after their deaths.. there's hope for me yet - not long to go!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...