What was your very first amp?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

What was your very first amp?

Post by Rog »

Mine was a 5W Concord - combo, natch.

My dad bought it for me from Gilmour's Auction House in New Plymouth in 1960.

It had a sort of white and sparkle vinyl covering.

Long gone to thermionic heaven (no silicon in that baby).

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

10 watt Marshall MG series III practice amp.
Two channels, independent volumes for each, gain control and a 'contour' control. Great sound, I really like it, still have it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

Carlsboro Stingray 150 Watt Combo :) It was loud and I used to play it at number 11 in my bedroom. My mum was always complaining for some reason.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

A homemade valve amp my dad knocked up for me. My first real amp was an Eminar 30. Solid state but a damn good sounding good quality amp. Australian I think.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Mine was an old 40's Phillips valve radio that was converted - worked quite well (about 5 watt) but the input valve grid capacitor network was leaky so after about 2 hours you started getting a shock now and again (not too bad only about 50 volts). An early Marranuci silicon powered 5 watt was the first 'real' practice amp at the same time as a Holden 50watt head and no name bins for gigging.

Like Rog's all gone now - decades later lent the Marranuci to a 'Christian band' who subsequently made off with it, while the Holden got traded in on something - and for once I reckon I got the better part of that particular bargain - allways thought the sound of that particular Holden was very 'tight- arsed/constipated'.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jops »

Peavey Rage or something like that. I didn't have it for long. In fact I can't even remember what I did with it??? I guess I traded it or gave it away. Man, I knew nothin and no-one when I started playing guitar, if things like nzguitars.com existed back then I bet my gear choices would have been a lot different. Actually no. I was too arrogant to take advice...

stark
Squier

Post by stark »

Jansen 6-Sixteen valve combo *wistful sigh*
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

> this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER.

ROTFLMAO!!!
Man, that's familiar!!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

Vantage 15 watt Practice amp. It was a good start, cause it made me relise bigger is better after I played a friends Marshall.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Peavey Rage 15 Watt. Sounded boxy as hell, but it was a step up from plugging into my ghettoblaster (yes, it was that long ago :lol: )

stark
Squier

Post by stark »

DrRog wrote:ROTFLMAO!!!
Man, that's familiar!!
my GF didn't find it quite so amusing.. :wink:
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Crate GX15r. Solid state but amazing tone and volume for only 15 watts, I'd reccomend it as a first or practice amp to anyone. I sold it last year to another beginner, hopefully he get's as much sssatisfaction from it as I did.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

It said Vox on it but I was too young to remember anything about it. I was 12 at the time. It had a single 12 and sounded like shit. Very likely had a S/S power section. It was given to me by an uncle or cousin, I can't remember. At the time we all thought it might be broken or something. I ended up giving it away. Then I never had another amp 'til I was like 18 or so and bought another S/S amp. This time a Fender with (2) 12's. Again, I don't know anything about it. First real amp came a year later. Another S/S fender with a single 12. Still don't know what it was called but it sounded way better than anything else I had owned previously. Mostly, I played through other people's amps when I was a teenager. All amps had 4 inputs back then or at least it seemed that way. I also played a lot of borrowed guitars as well. I couldn't be bothered to spend good money on decent guitars when I knew so many people who would let me play theirs for free. Spent all my money on green weed and red wine. I rocked on either my classical or someone elses guitar.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

10 watt yamaha with a foot peel for distortion(channel switch), clean sounds really nice, my cousin has it now, it just goes where ever it wants coz i dnt care about it lol.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I made my first two or three amps out of kits and intercoms. I still have one of them. No fond memories there...
My first 'real' guitar amp was a Gunn Classic 100 2x12 combo. It weighed a ton and always sounded clean, so I set to it with the soldering iron to 'Marshallise' it. It was a little better, but the smoke was a concern ;)
I still have it, but haven't found a replacement transformer at the right price yet.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand