The new breed of Mesa - review

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

The new breed of Mesa - review

Post by sambrowne »

I was lucky enough to have NZRS_Matt walk me through a couple of sweet, sweet amps this afternoon (as well as effortlessly kill me with his playing) and wanted to tell the NZG massive about them. To paraphrase Ryan CAB, here are some words, on the internet.

Electradyne
Matt's own amp was brought in and plugged into his stiletto 4x12 (essentially a recto 2x12 in Marshall dimensions i.e. minus the somewhat reediculous low end of an OS recto 4x12 cab). First impressions were distinctly un-Mesa - the amp has a rich, raw tone (as opposed to sterile) which I loved. The plexi tone was most of the way there (not QUITE there but Matt reckons with EL34s it is. The amp comes stock with 6L6s so that would make sense). The clean was also very tasty. Like a real plexi, it's a looser sound in the bottom end than I like for my dirty stuff (a metal amp, this is not) but that is a trade off for the "size" of the sound - it sounds massive. I'd love one of these in the studio but for a single amp for live, this was not quite what I was after. If you never have the need to go "chug chug chug" on your guitar, but love great cleans and big Marshallesque power chords, this is very much worth your attention. Also, Mesa haters (or people turned off by too many knobs and switches) should look at this - it's simple to operate and yet does a lot.

Mark V
I confess that I've been listening constantly to Mark V clips for a few weeks and was 50% sure this was going to be a cool amp. How cool it actually was surprised me! Briefly, the cleans are great and there's several flavours - whatever they're called, it's basically clean clean, warm breaky clean and "tweed" (which IS very Fender sounding although FEELS a little harder edged than actual tweed I'd say. I was happy to tick off "decent clean" and move on to the good side - channels 2 and 3.
Channel 2 is your ACDC and more channel, with a Mark 1 setting (amazing lead tone - fat and thick) and a Mark IIc+ (can't really remember this but it was all good). I could probably have lived with just these two channels and been pretty happy. I felt that I would use this channel for my band's more "big open chord" style songs where we use an AC30 in the studio (like Everywhere, for example). It's a lovely big, harmonically rich tone.
Channel 3 is Mark IV and "Extreme". I don't know if we really delved into extreme but the Mark IV was like coming home. On its factory preset EQ (which I'll explain in a minute) it was just exactly what I like in a dirty tone - cutting, chunky mids, tight low end which if you want could get insanely huge but on the preset was ample without being overbearing, and sweet tops without being shrill. This is as close to the tone I am hearing in my head (I hate the expression, but it's really true here) as I've come when trying amps. It just rocked fucking hard. It was at this point I decided I must have one of these Mark Vs, and began thinking about what colour my rig should be...I'm thinking white with a tan grille, with matching 2x12s....

There is several options with EQ across the amp, which are switchable on each channel. You can opt to use the trademark "graphic EQ" that we know and love from the Mark series, or the "preset" which has been chosen by Mesa as a very good setting for that particular channel (clean, dirty and lead/metal). The presets are on the money and really do deliver a great tone instantly. You can tweak the presets with the channel EQ to taste. Really nice innovation from Mesa.

The only retarded thing is the footpedal is locked within the amp itself, so you have to unscrew the back panel to get it. This gets a huge WTF! Obviously you're only ever going to bother doing this once. Perhaps they do it for shipping, I don't know. It's not even a flaw in the amp, just a really weird thing to do.

Bottom line, I am already in the process of getting myself a Mark V of my very own, and I'll be selling all my other amps apart from my Vox. I won't need them and they won't get played when I have this.

I'd say if you're into anything (gain wise) from Foo Fighters to Metallica, you're probably going to dig the Mark V, though if your tastes run more to the classics, the Electradyne may be what you're looking for. These two amps are both destined to be classics for Mesa.

ZOMBIE EATER
Stagg
Stagg

Re: The new breed of Mesa - review

Post by ZOMBIE EATER »

This dosent help ease my mark V gas :(

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

There was a guy selling one on TM...

But seriously, cool review Sam. Must be cool if it's turned you away from that Custom Audio that was being discussed the other week.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

ZOMBIE EATER
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ZOMBIE EATER »

Are you going combo?

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

hamo wrote:There was a guy selling one on TM...

But seriously, cool review Sam. Must be cool if it's turned you away from that Custom Audio that was being discussed the other week.
Yeah man, you're right, and it did.

I'm going to go the head, as I have a 1x12 and 2x12 cab already.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7928 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Everyone loves the head :mrgreen: but seriously, nice review Sam, sounds like a mint amp!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Cool review(s)

My first impression upon the playing the Mark V (combo, I really need to try the head version) was that it was a jack of all trades and did a lot of really sick, awesome tones. But to me it lacks the character of the earlier mark series amps (I, II & III)

Having spent the past 2 days tracking my friends band (melo-death metal) using nothing but my Mark III -> Carvin legacy 2x12" cab (we didn't even change the settings once, leads and rhythms. Havn't done cleans yet) I'm now completely convinced that the mark 5 is absolute overkill. If I had one I'd definitely use it though :wink: The mark 5 seems like the easiest amp of the mark series to dial in but the sheer amount of switches and subtle tone variations were rather overkill I thought. It sounded good though.

Really interested in the Electra-dyne, hard a lot of talk about that one. Played a Laney GH100L head for the first time today (through a line 6 spider 4x12" :shock: ) sounded a lot better than I was expecting! Very cool.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

robnobcorncob wrote:Cool review(s)

My first impression upon the playing the Mark V (combo, I really need to try the head version) was that it was a jack of all trades and did a lot of really sick, awesome tones. But to me it lacks the character of the earlier mark series amps (I, II & III)

Having spent the past 2 days tracking my friends band (melo-death metal) using nothing but my Mark III -> Carvin legacy 2x12" cab (we didn't even change the settings once, leads and rhythms. Havn't done cleans yet) I'm now completely convinced that the mark 5 is absolute overkill. If I had one I'd definitely use it though :wink: The mark 5 seems like the easiest amp of the mark series to dial in but the sheer amount of switches and subtle tone variations were rather overkill I thought. It sounded good though.

Really interested in the Electra-dyne, hard a lot of talk about that one. Played a Laney GH100L head for the first time today (through a line 6 spider 4x12" :shock: ) sounded a lot better than I was expecting! Very cool.
Can't really comment since I've not played the originals, but it definitely did not lack for vibe, IMHO. I note that the only criticisms I've seen on the Mark V seem to be essentially that it's not the same as the earlier ones, and that the various Mark modes don't sound perfectly the same as the originals. For me, that's not a problem since I haven't fallen in love with the old ones so don't miss them, though for someone else it might be I guess.

Silently
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Silently »

Glad you like the Mark V..
Mine SHOULD arrive tomorrow.

When it does..
BOOM!!!!!!!!!!

Straight to band practice.
Jackson DK2, DK2M (with SD Blackouts), DKMGT (SD Blackouts), Fender Mex Standard Strat

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head + Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Digitech GSP1101

crunchy as kellogs
Squier

Post by crunchy as kellogs »

bastard bastard bastard bastard GAS now in overdrive.

can you get the marshall about to explode mixed with soldano sound (think cross between VH sound from balance and later george lynch)?
"Guitar playing isnt a competition, but Jeff Beck is the best" - Ritchie Sambora

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

That RS Matt is such a crack dealer.

:P

crunchy as kellogs
Squier

TMG 03 wrote:That RS Matt is such a crack dealer.

:P
bloody oath, purveying fine amplification in such a manner as to induce a sale, and the same goes for Ryan and i think Ash is a total shit for making a single pick up SG that made me want an Ash superstrat (ok that last one is a reach but you get the theme)
"Guitar playing isnt a competition, but Jeff Beck is the best" - Ritchie Sambora

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

crunchy as kellogs wrote:bastard bastard bastard bastard GAS now in overdrive.

can you get the marshall about to explode mixed with soldano sound (think cross between VH sound from balance and later george lynch)?
My knowledge of George Lynch's latter works is limited to say the least. I'd say the VH sound (as I understand it, which is to say minimally) is there. There's no "fat" in the sound - it's all meat. That's what I was looking for and this thing has it in spades.

crunchy as kellogs
Squier

i wish that you had not said that, now i will have to go and try one and the same with the shiva and want them both.

i have explained to wife that this is a fairly cheap passion to have in life, i mean how big a bastard would it be if i wanted a ferrari...................somehow she just doesnt see the connection :lol:

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

crunchy as kellogs wrote:i wish that you had not said that, now i will have to go and try one and the same with the shiva and want them both.

i have explained to wife that this is a fairly cheap passion to have in life, i mean how big a bastard would it be if i wanted a ferrari...................somehow she just doesnt see the connection :lol:
Aim lower. Use a speedboat in comparison.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?