Beam blockers

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StratMan
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Beam blockers

Post by StratMan »

Home made or otherwise.

Anyone got any advice/stories/experience etc?

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Beam blockers

Post by robnobcorncob »

Yup they work great. Bit of cardboard and attatch to your cabinet with whatever you please. Some people just tape duct tape across the grille. Works a charm. Less high end fizz. More consistent sound throughout the room. Works great.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

robnobcorncob wrote:Yup they work great. Bit of cardboard and attatch to your cabinet with whatever you please. Some people just tape duct tape across the grille. Works a charm. Less high end fizz. More consistent sound throughout the room. Works great.
Agree. I have a THD duo cabinet. Amazing bit of kit but the high end could give you a haircut if you got too close. Streched two strips of duct tape across each cone and everything improved out of sight. It was meant to be an experiment to decide whether to buy Beam Blockers but it works so well I just left it.
Suppose I should change the tape................

What it seems to do is diffuse the highs. You don't lose them, they just stop hurting you!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Yup that's exactly it.

Beam Blockers are great but it's far easier/cheaper/quicker to make your own. Plus there's more room for experimentation and you'll learn a bit about what your cab & speakers sound like as a result.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

but the nagging question is... do they work great?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

rocklander wrote:but the nagging question is... do they work great?
Totally, absolutely incredibly great.
At least they do on a THD 2x12. I haven't felt the need to try them in the 2x10 Tremolux cab, but those cones are like me; really old and mellow.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StratMan
Stagg
Stagg

Post by StratMan »

Interesting.....

Thanks, Guys. I will try something out for my next rehearsal. I am not too keen on the duct tape because of the residue, but I have some "temporary" strong adhesive I could try out with.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

rocklander wrote:but the nagging question is... do they work great?
Oscilloscope says...

:mrgreen:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

Ok i'm going to ask that dumb question that i'm sure you will roll ya eyes at :roll:

What is a beam blocker?
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

Here's some info on a beam blocker. Not sure whether it's something that Weber came up with, or whether they're just the first to really put a bit of effort into it, but nonetheless...
http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

But of course you can just DIY it as many in here have mentioned. Does it really make a difference, putting a strip of tape in front of the cone? I don't doubt those of you who say it does, just curious is all. I myself very much favour a bright, clear sound, so I often find things can get a bit shrill. It'd be great to retain the brightness and clarity, but lose the shrillness which, as I understand it, is the whole point.

Presumably, you could make something a bit less primitive than a bit of duct tape. What about a strip of vinyl or some kind of fabric? Would it have the same effect? Or does the duct tape, specifically, possess a magical shrillness dissipating quality?

And how about attaching it? I don't really like the idea of attaching something to the speaker itself, particularly tape. So what if I were to remove the speaker and fit my homemade beam blocker to the back side of the speaker baffle, inside the cabinet, stretching it accross the speaker cutout?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

Been looking at this recently, supposed to be better but haven't had a play yet...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar- ... ifier-Bea/
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

OpenCoil wrote: Does it really make a difference, putting a strip of tape in front of the cone? I don't doubt those of you who say it does, just curious is all. I myself very much favour a bright, clear sound, so I often find things can get a bit shrill. It'd be great to retain the brightness and clarity, but lose the shrillness which, as I understand it, is the whole point.?
Try this:
1. Get a roll of duct tape. colour optional.
2. Remove your speaker grille.
3.Apply 1 or 2 strips of tape across the middle of the hole, whatever orientation pleases you.
4. Reattach speaker grille.
5. Plug in your preferred guitar and call us next week with your impressions :wink: