Baltic Birch ply

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

goldtop0
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Baltic Birch ply

Post by goldtop0 »

Hi fellas, do any of you know where this wood can be sourced in NZ if at all?
I'm having a devil of a job in trying to track some down.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Baltic Birch ply

Post by alanp »

Is this for a head, combo, or speaker cab?

I just used bog standard 19mm ply for my 2x12 cabinet, and it's solid as a rock and sounds bloody good.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

I just used bog standard 19mm ply for my 2x12 cabinet, and it's solid as a rock and sounds bloody good.[/quote]

+ 1. Run some thin foam rubber between the tolex and the ply.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 253 times

Baltic Birch ply

Post by Capt. Black »

I remember this coming up in topics years ago and the conclusion being to look at marine grade ply as a high quality alternative/equivalent.

Might be worth a shot.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Thanks for the replies.I'm thinking of putting together a 1962 Marshall style combo and they use baltic birch in the construction of that and their cabs in general........the wood used has a lot to do with the sound/tone.
I've considered Marine ply in the past Capt. but it doesn't do it, good suggestion however :wink:

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

A bluesbreaker? You've got to keep us updated on it!

If you get really, truly stuck, Mojotone do reproductions of vintage Marshall cabs, and Ryan@CustomAudioBoutique is the Mojo dealer for NZ.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 249 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I wanted some birch ply and Placemakers could order it from some outfit in Auckland. Was way too expensive. 170 a sheet or something.

Ended up sourcing some 18mm ply here for 70 a sheet. Plantation kauri veneer too!

It's all about the percentage of voiding in the ply profile when it comes too good sound... Well so they say... I never built a cab out of construction grade and a/b tested :roll:
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Yes I've heard that it's expensive and so is bringing an unloaded cab in from overseas so I'll try Placemakers and take it from there.
A Bluesbreaker combo is what I'll eventually put together over time and the cabinet itself is the most costly and exacting part of it.
Unfortunately the current Marshall cabinet is not made to the same size and spec as was done in '65 so it is a matter of putting it together properly which will prove expensive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

If anyone in Auckland can get it, it'll be Johnny Dobbyn at Timspec. Give him a call next week.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

OK, I know what actually asked for, but good ole NZ Pine (non ply) makes a fab cabinet. I just find it does need tolex or a covering otherwise it can be almost *too* musical...

In fact, I'm of to get some right now.

I have used standard ply for cabs and thought the sound was pretty reasonable. I wouldn't think the modern Chinese Vox AC's use Baltic or Birch...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

OK, necro thread.

What are using these days for cabinets? I have always just used pine or Mitre10 ply and had no issues with either. Pine is now so expensive, I’m considering ply again.

Is void free birch available? Does anyone have anything strong against normal ply?

For a full size 1x12
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1642 times
Been liked: 1309 times

Post by Jay »

Have you considered checking out some demolition yards? The old inbuilt kitchens in 50s and 60s houses in NZ had good quality pine used in those kitchen cabinets. Plank width of 250 and 300mm are common, thickness would be 19mm.

You might have to remove some paint first though.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7768 times
Been liked: 4203 times

Post by jeremyb »

ITM was always the go to for my old boss who was into building boats, marine grade void free ply, would be a great option for cabs I reckon!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Post by Bg »

Plyman in Henderson used to be my 'dealer', they do real wood too ;) Pine is stupid cost from the big box stores. Not found a good cheap source of pine here yet, though I haven't really looked that hard.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

goldtop0 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:14 pm Hi fellas, do any of you know where this wood can be sourced in NZ if at all?
I'm having a devil of a job in trying to track some down.
Plytech is one of your best options check their website, they have an excellent range. Plyman is OK.