New used amp for Yoda

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

New used amp for Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I was in the music store yesterday looking into the possibility of trading my PRS for a Fender Vibro-King Amp. I rarely play the PRS and I have way more guitars than amps so I thought it might be a way to painlessly even things out a bit. I've always admired the VK amp for it's sweet bell like clean tones, awesome tube reverb, the famous Fender Vibrato (tremelo) circuit and of course the smooth cream it makes when pushed. Alas, the store would only give me 2200 for the PRS and they wanted 2850 for the VK so I would have had to spend 650. Suffice to say I did not aquire a new VK yesterday.

Then I spied a used ProSonic combo with Celestions in the corner for $650. Now this is not the same animal at all. Not even the same species as the VK but I know from experience (many moons ago) that those little suckers will cut your head clean off with a Telecaster. Since it was "all-taxes-in" day and those amps went for 1600+ before they were discontinued a few years back I snapped it up. It's a '91 (PCB) model and in primo condition. Only setback is it was missing the footswitch but they found a X?-Reverb Amp switch and threw it in. The Rev button switches the reverb and the Vib button switches the channel so at least it's usable until I can get the right switch for it. I can also use this switch on my Silver Face Vibrolux Reverb now and save the vintage switch from further wear.

I realise the way it turned out had nothing at all to do with my intention but in the end I spent the $650 I would have had to spend for the VK and got a great amp but I still have my PRS so I feel it was a good day.

The dirty channel is a little confusing to me. It has two gain knobs and a master volume. Now I've known for years that Fender calls it cascading gain and it has something to do with before and after the pre-amp but for the life of me I can't figure out how it would make any difference. Seems to me that if there's gain after the preamp then that's just volume, isn't it?

Anyway this amp has huge gonads. So far I've only tried it with my Tele but the clean channel is pure country bite and snap with a bit of snarl when the volume gets over 3 which is loud enough to make your ears bleed. The dirty channel is like an early Boogie wannabe. More gain than anybody ever truly needs but not much compression. It's big and open and it roars. And it's LOUD. After getting used to my Vibrolux with it's luscious reverb, the 'verb on this Prosonic seems a bit cheesy sounding but it's acceptable as long as I keep it at 2 or below. If I need big reverb I'll use the VR.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Consider one of those gain knobs to be the 'level' for that channel. Use the first gain knob to set your desired amount of distortion, use the next one to match the volume of the dirty channel to the clean channel and then master volume knob to set your overall volume for both channels.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

You still got that PRS? I thought after the whole Gibson thing last year that people would be buying PRS like hot cakes. :P

I would have traded it for the Fender Amp.

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

Ash,
The so called Master Volume does not affect the clean channel. It is the channel volume control for the dirty side. Another point of interest is the fact this amp has three settings for the recifier.

They are as follows:
1) Tube - class A
2) Tube - class AB
3) Solid state - class AB

I have tried all three positions on the switch and was surprised to note how little difference there was although I must confess I did not try those setting at really loud volumes because I don't normally play all that loud.

TMG,
Apparently the rising value of the Canadian dollar in relation to the Yankee greenback is having an adverse effect on the value of PRS guitars in Canada. Mine retailed for 3,600 when I bought it almost 2 years ago. Now the same model retails for 3,025. I had been thinking that I would ask 3,000 for my guitar and settle for 2,800 when they try to dicker me down. I assumed a straight across trade for the amp would have at least been viable. Now I see that my guitar is worth 600 to 800 less that I thought. That's some serious coin. If the VK in the store had been blonde or tweed I would have given more consideration to the deal but black ones are everywhere these days. I can make that deal anytime.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Oh...OK then I'm as stumped as you. I would have though Master really mean't Master. On the other hand, Vibrato doesn't really mean that either ;)

I guess the fact that it is called cascading gain could suggest the each knob controls a different part of the architucture inside the amp. Cascading gain stages are used for specific overdrive tones as opposed to sequential gain stages. thats pushing the envelope of black magic for me, so maybe one of the sparky types can elucidate...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand