Thinking about getting a new amp...

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

limoooooooo
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Thinking about getting a new amp...

Post by limoooooooo »

I just got my first job, working full time hours for 3 weeks in January! In other words, I'll finally have enough money to buy an amp :D

I wanna try keep my budget around $1300. I was thinking on getting a Laney Cub Head, and pairing it with a cheap cab. The Vox Night Train ones have decent speakers and are fairly priced. What's everyone's thoughts on this choice? I know I could just get a Cub 12R for $600, but I think getting a cab is a good idea and I really have no clue how long it will be till I have this much money to spare. So while it'll be a lot more expensive in the short term, in the long term it'll be a better investment only having to buy heads!

My only concern is that there seem to be some people having overheating issues with the Cub's. Should I be worried at all?

There are Tiny Terror's popping up on TradeMe all the time within my price range http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... uggested=0, but I'm not keen on the clean sounds I've heard from them. Plus as versatile as the tone knob is, I would much rather have a real EQ section.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Remember the $1300 budget! I'm not really concerned about new or used, as long as it's not a combo. It might be helpful to know I play pop punk music, so I don't need heaps of gain on tap. All I really do is play power chords and octave chords. Sometimes I even palm mute them :lol: That said I do want semi decent cleans...

Thanks!

Hades
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Thinking about getting a new amp...

Post by Hades »

MPC?
"Some gross human/hippo hybrid walked in,sat at a piano, and began wailing away with a passion that could only be described as EXTREME" - Kris

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Who's having overheating issues with Cubs? I have a Cub10 and it is fantastic value for it's portability/volume/tone - it does get warm but I haven't noticed any issues with it.

+1 MPC - great to deal with

How about an AC15-C1?

limoooooooo
Stagg
Stagg

Post by limoooooooo »

MogwaiBoy wrote:Who's having overheating issues with Cubs? I have a Cub10 and it is fantastic value for it's portability/volume/tone - it does get warm but I haven't noticed any issues with it.

+1 MPC - great to deal with

How about an AC15-C1?
I've heard a few things about issues but I guess it probably only is a small sample of owners!

I'm very keen to check out MPC's stuff one day! The Rex looks pretty good, the Tubemeister demo's on YouTube are pretty nice. I find the lighting pretty tacky though, so I would have to pick the Cub over it. Other than that the rest of MPC's amps don't really seem like what I'm after. I could go for the AT50 but I really hate 2x12 combos, not keen on lugging those around.

And AC15 would be wicked! But as much as I love the Vox sound, as my main amp I'm not sure it would quite suitable to what I'm after

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

+1 On MPC
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

If I had $1300 I'd look at an Orange 1x12 at around the $500 mark, and then you've got $800 left which will get you the Cub head with change. Alternatively there are a bunch of cheap 4x12s on TradeMe that, while they might not bring about tonal nirvana, will help you push a lot of air and leave you the best part of a grand. Used Night Train will then run you $500-ish on TM, and let you grab another cheap head as well. Or grab a Mini Rec head used for a grand-ish and save up a fraction more for the cab. At that budget you've got some good options. :)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

limoooooooo
Stagg
Stagg

Post by limoooooooo »

hamo wrote:If I had $1300 I'd look at an Orange 1x12 at around the $500 mark, and then you've got $800 left which will get you the Cub head with change. Alternatively there are a bunch of cheap 4x12s on TradeMe that, while they might not bring about tonal nirvana, will help you push a lot of air and leave you the best part of a grand. Used Night Train will then run you $500-ish on TM, and let you grab another cheap head as well. Or grab a Mini Rec head used for a grand-ish and save up a fraction more for the cab. At that budget you've got some good options. :)
Wow! Didn't realise Orange 112's were that cheap! I've definitely got a soft spot for Orange, especially the look... That Orange 112 with Cub head is looking to be the most tempting option... and with that leftover money I could get an SM57 to boot!

Not really interested in a 4x12, I'd rather have a quality 1 or 2x12.

As for budget I may actually be able to stretch it a bit further... being half Malaysian definitely has some perks around Chinese New Year :D

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

+1 for MPC.

Or HD500 + powered speaker. :P

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

hamo wrote:If I had $1300 I'd look at an Orange 1x12 at around the $500 mark, and then you've got $800 left which will get you the Cub head with change. Alternatively there are a bunch of cheap 4x12s on TradeMe that, while they might not bring about tonal nirvana, will help you push a lot of air and leave you the best part of a grand. Used Night Train will then run you $500-ish on TM, and let you grab another cheap head as well. Or grab a Mini Rec head used for a grand-ish and save up a fraction more for the cab. At that budget you've got some good options. :)
This . The Rock Shop will sort you out with the 1x12 orange cab, good value and as Hamo said you could have a few options with different heads. Or...

+1000000000000 MPC! :mrgreen: I would call that a win win. :thumbup:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1230 times
Been liked: 1416 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

+1 on the Orange 112, its sounds really nice, not boxy like some 1x12 cabs can sound. I did some work on mine and made it open back which made it even nicer for my style of music. Check out a Blackstar HT20 head to go with it, very versatile amp.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

$1300 is an annoying price point, I know because its often what I contemplate spending, if you have $1800 you can get something awesome, but at $1300 I'd be swinging towards an AC15 new or a hand wired secondhand :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

you planning on jamming with others?1300 bucks seems like a lot for a practice amp....! you'll need at least 25w to keep up,our other guitarist has a tiny terror and running 2 quads only just gets enough volume.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i'd hit that!
trader looks shady though.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

You're right, just read the feedback... Mind, half of us dorklanders would probably be quite happy to go kick its tyres and make sure it's all in order, and possibly pack and ship it too if the thread starter isn't too sure.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.