Spent some time with a 65 Amps London Pro today

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

...at The Amp Shop! Unfortunately Ryan is on a much deserved weekend away, so I didn't get to meet him. I'll try and pop back in next weekend, anyway.

I wrote down some of my thoughts here: http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2013/05/1 ... ondon-pro/

Grant, would be keen for you to add your thoughts and experiences with the LP as well, I only really spent an hour with it, so I'm sure there's still a lot I don't know about its subtleties.

I'm seriously considering buying it, though it is ever so slightly too loud for someone who's not gigging at the moment, and has touchy neighbours.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1376 times
Been liked: 2106 times

Re: Spent some time with a 65 Amps London Pro today

Post by GrantB »

I love mine...I use it usually with a Vox 2X12 with Silver AlNiCo's - sounds like bliss.

I virtually only play the EF86 channel and it's set to break up, but clean when the dial is wound back on the guitar. Any guitar sounds great through it...but especially P90s.

I find I can get it whisper quiet with the master voltage so you should be fine with the neighbours.

The Tupelo covers a lot of similar ground though...at times I ponder the need for two 65's...but not for long.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Post by jeremyb »

Did you play cold spaghetti and hot poppin popcorn? :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 360 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

Eat it while you watch Corn...
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 700 times

Post by AiRdAd »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I love mine...I use it usually with a Vox 2X12 with Silver AlNiCo's - sounds like bliss.

I virtually only play the EF86 channel and it's set to break up, but clean when the dial is wound back on the guitar. Any guitar sounds great through it...but especially P90s.

I find I can get it whisper quiet with the master voltage so you should be fine with the neighbours.

The Tupelo covers a lot of similar ground though...at times I ponder the need for two 65's...but not for long.
What is this edge of breakup you speak of? it mystifies me! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

AiRdAd wrote:
it happens just before you switch the standby to ON
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

*UNIQUE* wrote:

My Ampshop London inspired *cough* amp has the same effect on me.
The Marshall channel sounds awesome and crunchy but the EF86 channel is where I spend all my time.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:
it happens just before you switch the standby to ON
I thought it s when the missus hears how much you spent on the amp :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I love mine...I use it usually with a Vox 2X12 with Silver AlNiCo's - sounds like bliss.

You can indeed get whisper quiet - but don't you find that it just doesn't sound as good below 4? I felt like there was a gap between "whisper quiet" (1 on MV) to "quite loud" (4 on MV) where it didn't really sound as good, whereas on my AFD for example, it's only really at whisper volumes where the speaker stops getting activated quite as much, that the deficit in tone caused by attenuation is more audible.

The TV Jones pickups in Ryan's Radian sounded drop dead amazing through it. I need to go back and try something with normal 'buckers though, since that's what I predominantly use.

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Thanks Ed, get to try anything else while you were there? Must be a few other goodies in that store.

Are there many amps that do a similar job but with fender+vox instead of vox+marshall? 65 or otherwise.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

Damn you Ed and Grant.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

Hands over ears... Not Listening! Not Listening! Much fear of 65 Amps..... can't afford.

Danny, 'Edge of Breakup' is my favourite place. Set up the amp so a light strum or pick sounds huge and clean. Play harder and it all breaks up into overdrive. Easier to do by working the output tubes but I find Catalinbread and TC pedals do it really well.

You know you've got it right when you can hit a big, dirty chord then pick a clean arpeggio over it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

RuBear wrote:Thanks Ed, get to try anything else while you were there? Must be a few other goodies in that store.

Are there many amps that do a similar job but with fender+vox instead of vox+marshall? 65 or otherwise.
Haha there were a heap I wanted to try, but the shop assistant wanted to go for lunch so I left... Will pop back in next weekend when Ryan's there to have an extended play and a bit of a yarn. Some Bogners, Swarts and Dr Zs that I would love to take a tour of...

Not sure about Fender + Vox, to be honest. Have never really been much of a fan of Fender amps.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

That new Bruno vox gets really close to fender meets vox
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

TmcB wrote:That new Bruno vox gets really close to fender meets vox
The 18w does, the 32w is pretty bland, albeit an attractive cabinet.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ