Volume fading in and out on my laney cub head

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 29 times

Volume fading in and out on my laney cub head

Post by stratkiwi »

Only bought this amp brand new from a trade me member just over a month ago, today my son and I noticed that the volume started fading in and out on it after half an hour of jamming so I turned the amp off straight away is this an issue with the valves in my amp are they starting to go south on me?. I could not smell any burning smell or anything like that it has been making a hissing noise since I got it so thought that it was normal for it being a class A/B amp it still has the EL84 and 12AX7 ruby valves that it came with when I got it. Still new to valve amps so any advice is appreciated.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Volume fading in and out on my laney cub head

Post by jeremyb »

Some of the cubs are prone to something similar which is due to a faulty temperature cutout, do a bit of googling, it's a common complaint :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Yep happend with mine
You will have to get it to a repair shop and if under warranty laney will honour it
It's the thermal cut out switch acting to early
:mental:

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

It won't be covered by warranty as I bought it from the original buyer through trademe, I might drop it into shearers musicworks in hamilton on the weekend if I am not working as they are laney dealers and get them to get it looked at for me.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

:thumbup: cool dont worry its a simple fix
:mental:

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

No worries olderama thanks for that and thanks to everyone who has given their input it is highly appreciated as I was going to order some new valves for the amp at least I waited to hear from you guys who have more experience about valve amps before going in like a bull at a gate and spending unnecessary money, stupid thing is I used the 15 watt input today and only the second time I have used it at full wattage as I normally use the 1 watt input and it has been sweet on that but this arvo I wanted to get loud seeing I was rained off from work and that's when the SHTF after 30 mins of playing stuff from ac/dc, dragon, neil young and the misfits and my MIM fender strat with its CS69's was sounding real sweet too.

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

Dropped amp head off at shearers today to get thermo switch replaced and while it is with the tech I am also going to get the fuse shifted off the circuit board of the amp to the rear of the amp where it can be accessed without having to pull the amp apart should I ever have to replace a fuse.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

stratkiwi wrote:Dropped amp head off at shearers today to get thermo switch replaced and while it is with the tech I am also going to get the fuse shifted off the circuit board of the amp to the rear of the amp where it can be accessed without having to pull the amp apart should I ever have to replace a fuse.
Sorry to dig this up but.... how did this go - did this fix it? Did they just remove the thermal component and put a jumper in, or replace it with a more reliable one?

I've have my Cub10 in the cupboard for years and might look at getting it fixed (DIY).

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

MogwaiBoy wrote:
stratkiwi wrote:Dropped amp head off at shearers today to get thermo switch replaced and while it is with the tech I am also going to get the fuse shifted off the circuit board of the amp to the rear of the amp where it can be accessed without having to pull the amp apart should I ever have to replace a fuse.
Sorry to dig this up but.... how did this go - did this fix it? Did they just remove the thermal component and put a jumper in, or replace it with a more reliable one?

I've have my Cub10 in the cupboard for years and might look at getting it fixed (DIY).
That’s funny, I just dusted off my Cub10 this week. Mine works fine (actually sounds great) but has too much rattle for me to deal with.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Delayman wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:

That’s funny, I just dusted off my Cub10 this week. Mine works fine (actually sounds great) but has too much rattle for me to deal with.
You mean valve rattle? Just curious because I also had this issue with my Cub12R.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

codedog wrote:
Delayman wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:

You mean valve rattle? Just curious because I also had this issue with my Cub12R.
Yep sounds like it, but I’ve tried dampening everything I can get to but can’t isolate it. For me it wrecks a great amp, I could never play out with it. I havent payed it through a cab, which I should.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I'm getting a bit of valve rattle on my katana at the moment too! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

AiRdAd wrote:I'm getting a bit of valve rattle on my katana at the moment too! :-)
take it off the marshall head then
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I believe the problem I have with my Cub10 is the "thermal" issue which is common with these amps. Basically a defective Chinese-made thermal cap that, after putting some hours on the amp, goes rogue and shuts the amp off at the first sign of heat. I have seen fixes online where you just remove the cap (bright yellow, easy to spot) and put a jumper in.

I might try and do this with my dad rather than take it to the shop. No point spending over $100 fixing a $200 amp.

In the beginning when it was working, it was a neat little grab/go.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

MogwaiBoy wrote:I believe the problem I have with my Cub10 is the "thermal" issue which is common with these amps. Basically a defective Chinese-made thermal cap that, after putting some hours on the amp, goes rogue and shuts the amp off at the first sign of heat. I have seen fixes online where you just remove the cap (bright yellow, easy to spot) and put a jumper in.

I might try and do this with my dad rather than take it to the shop. No point spending over $100 fixing a $200 amp.

In the beginning when it was working, it was a neat little grab/go.
I agree they’re a neat grab and go. Surprising bass for a small amp too.