Stereo amp setup, buying advise needed.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Stereo amp setup, buying advise needed.

Post by Reg18 »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:57 pm
Reg18 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:36 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:30 pm My $0.02.

Regarding the video mix, I think Clubhouse summed things up pretty well.

Been following this thread and three things are really bugging me.

1. Speakers in ISO cabs, in-ears to monitor... Why bother with amps at all? An amp sim on an iPad would do the job just as well, surely?
My sister sings professionally and her guitarist uses a a combo amp which is actually a dummy for an iPad set up which sounds amazing. I've recorded them live a few times and as old school as I am, I've never felt his sound lacked anything. The dummy amp is purely for show because some sound guys and people in their audiences can't get their heads around not seeing something familiar on stage. LOL

2. That stage, projection and lighting set up... They reckon there's no budget for decent amps? Seriously? Come on!

3. The backing singers are clapping on the one and the three.
Yep I tend to agree, It’s all getting a bit “big corporate business” for me anyway. I got asked to sign a legal document this week in relation to all songs and contributions to songs I have written. I can’t see why a digital rig wouldnt be fine, plenty of international pros use it! Anyway I’m Starting to join the church rant myself and that’s not what I wanted to do so I’ll leave it there.
I hear ya, Reg. In all truth I have no problem with spending on gear despite little tangible benefit. Why else would NZG exist? ;)

The whole situation is probably a lot more involved than we can glean here. Although it does read like your sound guy has a lot more sway than he has actual authority. I agree that he seems to be chasing the wrong solution for a problem that he can easily fix with a tweak of his EQ. But hey. Go for it. I't not his money. Hehehe

I'm a bit horrified by the legal agreement aspect. That's a discussion worth having if you're keen to elaborate. What does the "Organisation" asking for specifically?
There’s actually a clause about talking about it so I probably can’t elaborate to much but it’s enough for me to be thinking pretty hard about whether I even agree with where things are going in general for the music at this church (or the church in general) and I think I’m unlikely to contribute any further creatively. At this point If I didn’t see some of the good work certain members of the church do first hand I’d have left a while ago. But overall big corporate church isn’t any more appealing than big corporate greedy business to me and I’m concerned I’m now a participating member in one.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Does make it questionable eh?

I’m going to assume they want to exert ownership of yours and your fellow performers creative input.
Whoa! The seventies wants its recording contracts back.
I’d be demoing and registering your stuff with APRA asap.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:51 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:19 pm I reckon if you have to do it, a pair of those origin 20s and a pair of ac15s would be super!
NOOO get the mini plexi - I thought it was clearly better sounding than the Origin!
Twice the price tho' and they're on a budget!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm Does make it questionable eh?

I’m going to assume they want to exert ownership of yours and your fellow performers creative input.
Put out tons of albums to make lots of coin, grow huge like hillsong, then sex scandals rock the foundations, its a good business model to choose!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:15 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:57 pm
Reg18 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:36 pm
Yep I tend to agree, It’s all getting a bit “big corporate business” for me anyway. I got asked to sign a legal document this week in relation to all songs and contributions to songs I have written. I can’t see why a digital rig wouldnt be fine, plenty of international pros use it! Anyway I’m Starting to join the church rant myself and that’s not what I wanted to do so I’ll leave it there.
I hear ya, Reg. In all truth I have no problem with spending on gear despite little tangible benefit. Why else would NZG exist? ;)

The whole situation is probably a lot more involved than we can glean here. Although it does read like your sound guy has a lot more sway than he has actual authority. I agree that he seems to be chasing the wrong solution for a problem that he can easily fix with a tweak of his EQ. But hey. Go for it. I't not his money. Hehehe

I'm a bit horrified by the legal agreement aspect. That's a discussion worth having if you're keen to elaborate. What does the "Organisation" asking for specifically?
There’s actually a clause about talking about it so I probably can’t elaborate to much but it’s enough for me to be thinking pretty hard about whether I even agree with where things are going in general for the music at this church (or the church in general) and I think I’m unlikely to contribute any further creatively. At this point If I didn’t see some of the good work certain members of the church do first hand I’d have left a while ago. But overall big corporate church isn’t any more appealing than big corporate greedy business to me and I’m concerned I’m now a participating member in one.
Capt. Black wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Does make it questionable eh?

Reg, dude, seriously...what Capt. Black wrote. It is truth...sincere and very, very good advice.

With complete respect for your involvement with this church and the limitations of what you can say about it and jazz...the music biz/industry/circus revolves around the writers. Without songs there is nothing! Be very wise and far-seeing when you consider handing over writing IP: publishing, copyright, mechanicals, anything. Anyone coming at you with paperwork around this stuff...take the time to read it and read again and again...think about it...and read again. It's not evil or bent but it is the game.

APRA is the right call. Protect yourself and give yourself leverage in any further negotiations. Go in eyes WIDE open and know what you're signing away.

over and out. :thumbup:

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 292 times

Post by murky »

….man, you’ve all changed…..it used to be about the music…..

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.