Output mod

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Output mod

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

How hard is it to mod a tube amp to have multiple output levels? I.e., start with a 100w amp and mod to have a 50w output.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Output mod

Post by Slowy »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:10 pm How hard is it to mod a tube amp to have multiple output levels? I.e., start with a 100w amp and mod to have a 50w output.
Are you trying to reduce volume or increase gain at a given volume?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

You are aware that dropping 100 watts to 50 watts won't reduce the volume much at all, you need to drop a 100 watt amp to 10 watts to get a half vol difference - its a logarithmic exponential curve. ( a factor 0f 10)

My bogner was still fucking loud on 7 watts.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

The 100-50w was just an example. In reality I’m wondering more like start with something in the 20-40w range and drop down low, maybe even 5w.

Slowly, primarily decrease volume since bulk of playing is bedroom etc.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:39 pm The 100-50w was just an example. In reality I’m wondering more like start with something in the 20-40w range and drop down low, maybe even 5w.

I honestly don't know but aren't there easier ways of achieving this?

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

Molly wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:28 pm
Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:39 pm The 100-50w was just an example. In reality I’m wondering more like start with something in the 20-40w range and drop down low, maybe even 5w.

I honestly don't know but aren't there easier ways of achieving this?
An attenuator would probably be an easier option?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Jeez mate, I play to 100+ people in a 5 piece band with either 12 or 30 watts; both work fine. You must have an impressive bedroom!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

I think it depends on the amp circuit a lot, and to what extent you're trying to drop it. There's the old "pull two power tubes out of a Twin Reverb" approach, which does approximately halve wattage but still leaves a big, heavy, loud amp.

If you're not starting with a specific amp, consider getting something with a Master Volume. Or an amp that comes with power scaling options by default (like the Marshall Studio Vintage/Classic).

Even at 5 watts a tube amp ends up being very loud if you crank it up. I have a little 5F2A clone with an 8" speaker, and can only turn it up when the Missus is out.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Jeez mate, I play to 100+ people in a 5 piece band with either 12 or 30 watts; both work fine. You must have an impressive bedroom!
My Carr has a max of 8w. I've wondered if it'd keep up with a drum kit.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

I don't understand anyone who says under 50w tube is enough for a jam situation with acoustic drums. Unless I just happen to have struck a homicidal maniac percussionist every band I've been in.
Which is actually likey....pitfalls of the genre I guess

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Attenuator, or a cheap small amp.

FWIW, I have had 0.1W, 1W, 2W, 3W and 6W tube amp options for bedroom use. 0.1W is genuinely quiet. 1W had enough clean headroom for me, but I play pretty quietly. 2W is too loud for me. 3W definitely so. 6W is too loud for my neighbours.

But ears are different, bedrooms are different, speaker efficiencies are different etc...
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

Another one that I tried recently - if your amp has an FX loop, chuck a volume pedal in there.
The way the gain structure works on my mesa, this behaves differently to just adjusting the master volume.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Check out the Fryette Power Station, it’s the most elegant solution and you get a post power amp effects loop too.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

Effing hell, I posted a reply here but I must not have pressed submit 😕

Basically, I know all about tube amp volume & attenuators (thank you), but was just wondering if such a mod as described would be a feasible alternative for desirable yet loud amps which may not necessarily have a master volume or FX loop etc to tame them for domestic settings when required. That way they can still go loud when required.

I wouldn’t mind a Powerstation but then you have to lug around/set up an extra bit of kit.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

One of my amps has an option for pentode / triode mode so that’s an option. Don’t quote me here either but I think you can turn off a few power tubes to drop wattage as well. You can mod to add a master volume post phase inverter too.

I agree with getting an amp with a good master volume though. This has worked better for me than attenuation. Big iron has that feel, even at the lower volumes!