multi switch solutions

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

multi switch solutions

Post by Kris »

hey team, I'm wanting to run two or more amps-ideally a dry/wet/dry type scenario with control over each one. I bought a radial EFX as it had the ability two drive two outs from the send jacks on loop 1 and 2, but it doesn't work like i thought as there is some signal leak from input 1.It works fine as it primary intention which is switching between two loops so i may still get some use out of it.
Any recommendations? I'm a cheap ass but learned my lesson here. Any luck with that lehle Darth? I'm guessing having some sort of isolation for ground loops will def be of value .I was previously using my tu3 but of course thats not ideal either, and lacks the 3rd part :)

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: multi switch solutions

Post by IMOCD »

Kris wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:38 pm hey team, I'm wanting to run two or more amps-ideally a dry/wet/dry type scenario with control over each one. I bought a radial EFX as it had the ability two drive two outs from the send jacks on loop 1 and 2, but it doesn't work like i thought as there is some signal leak from input 1.It works fine as it primary intention which is switching between two loops so i may still get some use out of it.
Any recommendations? I'm a cheap ass but learned my lesson here. Any luck with that lehle Darth? I'm guessing having some sort of isolation for ground loops will def be of value .I was previously using my tu3 but of course thats not ideal either, and lacks the 3rd part :)
I use one of these. Works fine.
https://www.radialeng.com/product/bigshot-aby

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

thanks, lacks the option of only running one of the three but i could work around that. Just an extra stomp.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Lehle 1@3? Or a multi amp switcher like that Frampton one?
Nothing to see here.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Also Voodoo Lab amp switcher - 4 outs each with volume control - think it’s discontinued though.

And didn’t Morley make a 3 output one for Lynch?

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

Miza wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 pm Lehle 1@3? Or a multi amp switcher like that Frampton one?
I had one lined up from Darth, but its been ensnared in the chlthonic vortices!

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

I don’t have a recommendation for a specific product, but you should get one that has a transformer isolated out and a phase reverse option so that you can deal with ground loops and phase issues.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Will this meet your needs?

https://www.radialeng.com/product/headlight

If so I can sell you one at a reasonable price

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Another option - and what I’ve done - not cheap, but flexible:

I use a Gigrig QMX loop switcher on the pedal board. If you put a humdinger in a loop it splits the signal and gives you a buffered or isolated out to go to an amp. Currently using two of the loops as an ABY, but could easily add additional amp outputs. You can set the QMX to on/off each output, or flip/flop. The downside is you lose a pedal loop every time you add an amp output.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

My experience is that this is an area where you can save a lot of time and frustration by shelling out a few more dollars.
Lot's of people have positive results with Radial switchers but the Bigshot I owned while able to reduce 60 cycle hum was incapable of removing it entirely ( that was running a Goodsell and a Reinhardt together ). Replaced it with a Lehle Dual and all issues instantly resolved, not only that but the signal was noticeably sweeter. I've since gone to a Palmer Triage for it's three amp ability, performs as well as the Lehle but doesn't have that added sweetness. Every time you introduce more crap to your signal chain you also open more avenues for earth loops. Buy the best piece of kit you can then hopefully you won't need to replace it if you add more stuff down the line.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Dharmajester wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:48 am My experience is that this is an area where you can save a lot of time and frustration by shelling out a few more dollars.
Lot's of people have positive results with Radial switchers but the Bigshot I owned while able to reduce 60 cycle hum was incapable of removing it entirely ( that was running a Goodsell and a Reinhardt together ). Replaced it with a Lehle Dual and all issues instantly resolved, not only that but the signal was noticeably sweeter. I've since gone to a Palmer Triage for it's three amp ability, performs as well as the Lehle but doesn't have that added sweetness. Every time you introduce more crap to your signal chain you also open more avenues for earth loops. Buy the best piece of kit you can then hopefully you won't need to replace it if you add more stuff down the line.
BIG +1!

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Optical »

With your dry-wet-dry setup, your time fx be in the signal chain after the splitter before the amp input, or in the wet amp fx loop with a full wet mix, and that pedal will need to be powered by battery or isolated supply. Sounds like you know this

Ive been mucking around building isolated splitters recently with some good results. Sounds like you just need a simple three way ground isolated splitter.

But, what 'control over each one' do you need - send level/input gain control? foot switch muting?

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:44 am Will this meet your needs?

https://www.radialeng.com/product/headlight

If so I can sell you one at a reasonable price
possibly,but i need to RTFM to be sure this time!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

Dharmajester wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:48 am My experience is that this is an area where you can save a lot of time and frustration by shelling out a few more dollars.
yes i basically bought the radial i have because it was the old model and cheap-lesson learned!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

Optical wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:17 am With your dry-wet-dry setup, your time fx be in the signal chain after the splitter before the amp input, or in the wet amp fx loop with a full wet mix, and that pedal will need to be powered by battery or isolated supply. Sounds like you know this

Ive been mucking around building isolated splitters recently with some good results. Sounds like you just need a simple three way ground isolated splitter.

But, what 'control over each one' do you need - send level/input gain control? foot switch muting?
ok im effectively blending three sounds and only really need footswitch control for muting-3 way grounded splitter is def what i need.Currently have two li-ion psu's but will prob get a small isolated brick for this board.
There was an ehx paralell mixer on tm last week but it wasnt quite what i was after.