Harmony

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Re: Harmony

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Replacing leaky capacitors in the signal path can definitely change the sound in unpleasant ways. The old leaky ones would likely ‘brown’ out the sound a bit, as the DC they let pass would cause the downstream gain stages to bias hotter (towards grid-limited clipping), and maybe reduce gain a bit.

Drifted resistors are an easy one to suss out because you can simply measure them once removed to see how far they’ve gone.

I imagine the speaker is hardwired straight to the output transformer, but you could desolder it and rig up a temporary jack to try a different speaker. Really old ceramics don’t often hold up well with time (but YMMV).

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:03 am Replacing leaky capacitors in the signal path can definitely change the sound in unpleasant ways. The old leaky ones would likely ‘brown’ out the sound a bit, as the DC they let pass would cause the downstream gain stages to bias hotter (towards grid-limited clipping), and maybe reduce gain a bit.

Drifted resistors are an easy one to suss out because you can simply measure them once removed to see how far they’ve gone.

I imagine the speaker is hardwired straight to the output transformer, but you could desolder it and rig up a temporary jack to try a different speaker. Really old ceramics don’t often hold up well with time (but YMMV).
Clarry commented the the bias was way off; like twice what it should be. And I was just thinking about a lug to jack socket lead to try different speakers.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:07 am This may be of interest too:
https://oldamps.weebly.com/harmony-h307x.html
Cool, thanks! That's my baby...
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Haven't been able to sort a cable for speaker swapping yet but I replaced the 12AX7 with a 5751. It improved things considerably. I'm reasonably sure the remaining harshness is the speaker breaking up.

But regardless, the harshness can be controlled just by turning it down a bit. :D

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Good to hear the sound is coming back, those speakers Harmony used were not always the best, my H400A I swapped out the stock for a 60s Jensen and the Valco made 8148 I found a 60s speaker to fit that had the same output tranny on the speaker basket. That is the one Ryan recapped for me and did a great ob.

I asked over at the Harmony forum but no one had any info but did provide a blow up of the schematic Rectified Amps linked, it may be of use

Imageharmony-h307x-2_orig by Laurie Franks, on Flickr

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Just took the Harmony back to its previous owner for an assessment. He pluggd in a LPJ with single humbucker (You're not the only one, Grant) and proceeded to make it sound wonderful.
I took note of his settings which were different to what I'd been doing, but I got what I was looking for; the amp's just fine. Stop fussing and learn to play it!