VHT Special 6 Project

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: VHT Special 6 Project

Post by robthemac »

Jay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:53 pm
Bg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:51 pm Slowly, you gonna die bro...8
We are all gonna slowly die, but the wrong valve may speed it up :?
Trying to wrack my brain and remember if I ever replaced the power amp valve... I think just the preamp. But I hope I didn't accidentally send Bruce a death trap.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

25 Very Hot Teenage (19 years old) special virgins are awaiting in heaven if one dies due to an overheated, exploding 6V6, its lethal pieces of glass ripping up your testicles while also severing your aorta. What nobler death can there be?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:16 pm Gave it a Tung Sol 12AX7 and an old Philips 6V6.
Apologies Slowy. You say Philips, the one in there now has got yellow lettering saying Sylvania. When looking at the top of the valve it says 6V6GTA.

I am a real dumbo :oops:

So question for the amp gurus: is 100% plate dissipation for a 6V6GTA acceptable? Looks like the designer thought so as I cannot see any other mods to the amp.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:58 pm "Bruce Slowly, you gonna die bro"
Sorry to disappoint you mate; medical science has made me immortal.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:43 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:16 pm Gave it a Tung Sol 12AX7 and an old Philips 6V6.
Apologies Slowy. You say Philips, the one in there now has got yellow lettering saying Sylvania. When looking at the top of the valve it says 6V6GTA.
Yep, I had two of those.

Just found the other: Sylvania 6V6GTA made in the USA. Also found an RCA Blackplate.

What's in V1 & V2?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:50 pm
Yep, I had two of those.

Just found the other: Sylvania 6V6GTA made in the USA. Also found an RCA Blackplate.

What's in V1 & V2?
12AX7

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:24 pm

Yep, I had two of those.

What's in V1 & V2?
12AX7
Could you be more specific? :lol:

I've got some 5751's coming from Mike. One should have a workout here.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Jay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:43 pm So question for the amp gurus: is 100% plate dissipation for a 6V6GTA acceptable? Looks like the designer thought so as I cannot see any other mods to the amp.
This is a single-ended cathode biased amp, so 100% dissipation at idle is actually typical. Driving a signal through it will cause power consumption to drop, for reasons I can’t entirely remember. This is different to a push-pull amp where we often aim for 50-70% dissipation at idle, because a signal will drive power consumption higher, due to better efficiency (I think).

Also, 6V6s were usually the ancient metal can types, not glass valves like 6v6gt’s so they’re pretty easy to spot. They’d probably handle 110% max dissipation just fine since they typically come from the 50’s era of bombproof construction.

Even current production valves can handle 110% max in a cathode bias circuit. I’ve yet to see an AC30 where the EL84s aren’t biased 10-15% over their max straight out of the factory! The heat kills the valves after a while, but they sure sound glorious in the meantime.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Slowy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:39 pm
H671 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:19 pm When I had my special 6 head, I had it modified by Alan at Anvil Amps according to the info in this Telecaster forum thread.
The mods enabled swapping a 6V6 to a 6L6. you also had to plug the speaker into a different Ohm output to compensate.
The link is quite a long read but full of useful info by those who have already done the research & mods.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/vht-speci ... ad.207986/
I have a 6L6 amp. What I'm wanting is a sweet 6V6 amp.
The mod was so you could choose at will, which output valve to use - 6V6 or 6L6 & when changing valve types you had to shift the speaker jack into a different ohm output - I've forgotten which way.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 pm
Jay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:24 pm

Yep, I had two of those.

What's in V1 & V2?
12AX7
Could you be more specific? :lol:

I've got some 5751's coming from Mike. One should have a workout here.
There is only one pre amp valve. Both triodes in the valve are used and they are typically labeled V1-a and V1-b. So following that convención there is no V2.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:39 pm I have a 6L6 amp. What I'm wanting is a sweet 6V6 amp.
This was me but EL84 owner wanting sweet 6V6 amp, If I ever get the house to myself (school holidays…) I can test if my small changes have got the Cub to that yet…
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Had one of these for a bit. Sort of liked it for home use (would've been a joke trying to use with my band :lol:). Sounded a bit stiff and harsh to me though - no Fender character I could detect, even if the circuit had some basis in Fender. Definitely good for tinkering but I'd think you'd have to gut and rebuild the thing to make it actually sound great - or maybe I should have just tried some better tubes first!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:24 pm Had one of these for a bit. Sort of liked it for home use (would've been a joke trying to use with my band :lol:). Sounded a bit stiff and harsh to me though - no Fender character I could detect, even if the circuit had some basis in Fender. Definitely good for tinkering but I'd think you'd have to gut and rebuild the thing to make it actually sound great - or maybe I should have just tried some better tubes first!
I agree with everything you said. I'll find out how the modded version works with a band tonight.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Slowy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:30 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:24 pm Had one of these for a bit. Sort of liked it for home use (would've been a joke trying to use with my band :lol:). Sounded a bit stiff and harsh to me though - no Fender character I could detect, even if the circuit had some basis in Fender. Definitely good for tinkering but I'd think you'd have to gut and rebuild the thing to make it actually sound great - or maybe I should have just tried some better tubes first!
I agree with everything you said. I'll find out how the modded version works with a band tonight.
I can confirm stiffness and harshness have been uninstalled. Jay has done some great work here. Used it with the Band on Thursday; nobody objected or threatened to fire me. Actually, it got a couple of compliments.

Current impressions are, it's well suited to lead/riff/single note playing. It sounds less comfortable playing chords (if that makes any sense to anyone).
I've only played it with a Strat so far but it may suit a Tele quite well. I'd also like to hear it with Humbuckers.

This is now a much better amp.
Thanks Jay!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Jay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:08 pm 25 Very Hot Teenage (19 years old) special virgins are awaiting in heaven if one dies due to an overheated, exploding 6V6, its lethal pieces of glass ripping up your testicles while also severing your aorta. What nobler death can there be?
I think I’ve seen that movie.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves