Drum recording interface.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Drum recording interface.

Post by Slowy »

This is probably a hackneyed topic which I really don't understand.

Our drummer is looking for a recording interface. He's got a DW kit, all the mics and wants to connect it all to his recording software. Don't know what he's got but the band uses Cubase so that's where I'd start.

So does anybody have a suitable item available? What is a suitable item to begin with?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Drum recording interface.

Post by griff »

Anything with lots of inputs. A mixer than can record maybe? We use a Behringer XR18 for drum recordings. The preamps are decent.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Buy a drum machine :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Id say get one of the zoom units-they can record both sd and usb and go all the way up to 20 inputs.I dislike close miking personally so hopefully he wont want more than 16 tracks as he'll wanna hear every single piece in the mix

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:28 am Buy a drum machine :lol:
Malcolm is a drum machine.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

This helped me:

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/ho ... cord-drums

Basically:

Tune the kit.
Mic the kick.
Mic the snare.
Add any overheads.
Extra mics if you want.
Add compression on the individual inputs.

You need an interface with 1 input per mic used.

Then the interface goes into the DAW.

You'll want an interface with enough inputs and just ride the gain controls to not clip the signal.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

It's amazing what you can do with 3 mics. Overhead, snare and kick.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

crowbgood1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:58 am It's amazing what you can do with 3 mics. Overhead, snare and kick.
Absolutely. And if you've a spare mic, pulling it back a ways and getting some of the room sound low in the mix is good for adding 'space' to the drums too.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:06 am This is probably a hackneyed topic which I really don't understand.

Our drummer is looking for a recording interface. He's got a DW kit, all the mics and wants to connect it all to his recording software. Don't know what he's got but the band uses Cubase so that's where I'd start.

So does anybody have a suitable item available? What is a suitable item to begin with?
How many mics?

Agree with the post above that you can do a great job with 3 mics...well 4--bass, snare and two overhead mics at either side of the kit to give you a bit of a stereo field. If you go with that then you need a recording interface with 4 channels. Such as a Focusright Scarlett 4i4 (or Claret 4-pre if he is feeling flush). This will happily work with Cubase to give you 4 separate drum tracks. If you want to record every drum & cymbal separately (so you can adjust them individually in the mix) then you are going to need several more channels. That gets spendy real fast.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

I'll find out how many mics he has. The drummer in my other band has 7 mics but his kit was a Santana touring rig. It's way more than any mortal requires.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Slowy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:25 am I'll find out how many mics he has. The drummer in my other band has 7 mics but his kit was a Santana touring rig. It's way more than any mortal requires.
You can do big kits with minimal mic's. Overhead will capture some good stuff but do some research if you are going stereo on top. One of my favorites is the ORTF, but there are a few to choose from, all giving different sounds.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

While my preference is 4 mics on a drum kit, I’d say get something with 8 mic inputs. He won’t regret having too many, but he will regret not having enough.

Focusrite and MOTU are my go to recommendations. Presonus are ok, but I’ve found their mic preamps can be a little on the thin side.

Mikeincarnate326
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mikeincarnate326 »

If it's for basic recording, this could help? The Yamaha EAD 10

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ger-pickup