Fender Tonemaster Princeton

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Fender Tonemaster Princeton

Post by jeremyb »

:oh: no doubt the price will be more than building a tube one yourself but...

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Fender Tonemaster Princeton

Post by GrantB »

If it weas trem, why did the Fender footswitch say "Vib"!

Great idea. Good for gigs. It's its own thing, rather than a perfect repro of a PR.

That reverb doesn't sound like the original...and the overdrive sound is, nah.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:40 pm If it weas trem, why did the Fender footswitch say "Vib"!

Great idea. Good for gigs. It's its own thing, rather than a perfect repro of a PR.

Such a shame. The overdriven sound of a Princeton can be wonderful. Jay's with a 12" speaker is just glorious.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:01 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:40 pm If it weas trem, why did the Fender footswitch say "Vib"!

Such a shame. The overdriven sound of a Princeton can be wonderful. Jay's with a 12" speaker is just glorious.
How loud does it get before it's overdriven?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 pm

Louder than I'd play in my bedroom. But it wouldn't be giggable if you want headroom. Arguably the worst of both worlds, but still on of my favourite amps I've ever played.

To be fair, I play very low-gain. What I'd call overdrive you might call compression.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:16 pm
codedog wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 pm

Louder than I'd play in my bedroom. But it wouldn't be giggable if you want headroom. Arguably the worst of both worlds, but still on of my favourite amps I've ever played.

To be fair, I play very low-gain. What I'd call overdrive you might call compression.
For a Princeton I imagine I would only consider edge of breakup at the highest.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

A Princeton reverb would be my perfect amp I reckon, 10" jensen ceramic... yummo.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:42 pm A Princeton reverb would be my perfect amp I reckon, 10" jensen ceramic... yummo.
It's no AC-10, mate.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:03 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:42 pm A Princeton reverb would be my perfect amp I reckon, 10" jensen ceramic... yummo.
It's no AC-10, mate.
It’s more AC-10 than you would think :mrgreen:

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

I'm not sure why they went with the Princeton Reverb next when they already do a lightweight Tone Master Deluxe Reverb with power scaling down to 0.5 watts. To me they already have the portable Blackface combo covered.

Yes, the Princeton definitely has a lot of fans, but they could have given the Tone Master treatment to the Tweed Deluxe first!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:53 pm I'm not sure why they went with the Princeton Reverb next when they already do a lightweight Tone Master Deluxe Reverb with power scaling down to 0.5 watts. To me they already have the portable Blackface combo covered.

Yes, the Princeton definitely has a lot of fans, but they could have given the Tone Master treatment to the Tweed Deluxe first!
Couldn't agree more. Or they could put a tweed voice in any of the ToneMaster series for next to no cost.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I really dont think they sound good at all overdriven. Great clean tone , perhaps slightly breaking up. .. but the overdrive of a PR always virges on fizzy to me.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm

I really dont think they sound good at all overdriven. Great clean tone , perhaps slightly breaking up. .. but the overdrive of a PR always virges on fizzy to me.
This ^. I had a Princeton Reverb before and 100% agree with Strummers

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Part of the appeal of a tonemaster is that they can make the amp lightweight- a twin I can understand, but a Princeton? Seems pointless to me.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm

That fizziness can be removed with a subtle tweak to a couple of resistor values (Paul mod?). I’ll record mine breaking up.

I’m also using a night light as a “master vol”.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves