Talk me out of a Rockerverb 50 head

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Talk me out of a Rockerverb 50 head

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Boxes i'm looking to tick...

- Complements my Mesa Electra Dyne. Sometimes together in stereo (if I'm lucky), sometimes in place of
- Reliable. If not high quality handmade in the USA/UK then at least heavy duty components
- Beautiful clean channel that takes pedals well, with some breakup possible on the clean channel.
- Footswitchable gain channel that goes from crunch to firebreathing
- Good with singlecoils and humbuckers, low-ish drop tunings
- Preferably not 6L6 or 6V6 (something different to my Mesa or Deluxe Reverb)

I was originally looking at the new Archon 50 but since they are so new, it's hard to say if they're reliable. PRS have a patchy reputation with some of their other amps. The gain sounds wicked, super dry and modern high gain - maybe the Orange would be slightly looser/organic, but to be honest I reckon that's more my thing and i'd get used to it. I am not an outright 'stonerdoom' guy and I think it's kinda lame how trendy the Orange brand is in that scene - however I do enjoy big chunky riffs (not much of a lead player, at all) and my band's return phase is leaning pretty heavy.

Currently using the Electra Dyne (into Recto vertical 2x12) clean channel with pedals as I can't get the faux-channel switching in the Electra Dyne to work for me, or I use my handwired Deluxe Reverb clone head with 2x12 Creamback cab. Both rigs more than suffice, especially for my playing ability (not great), so that's probably the biggest reason to talk myself out of one (and the annoyedface wife...oh, that doesn't bother me much hehe).

What do you think, bros?

Happy New Year :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Talk me out of a Rockerverb 50 head

Post by jeremyb »

That would be a killer combo Jae, do it!!!!!!

Running two amps even with my little bedroom warrior setup of the AC10 and Cub 8 sounds so fucking good, can only imagine what the combo you are proposing would sound like!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

No. I won’t. You can’t make me.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

This is not the place to get talked out of buying gear (or cars, or gadgets, or etc etc). Try a relationships forum. :lol:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

It'll certainly offer a different flavour to your current amps. Whether it's a pleasant flavour is a matter of personal taste :lol:

But +1 for having two very differently voiced amps in a stereo rig. I'm currently going DR and 1974, who have opposite and complementary voices. It does make it challenging if you use overdrive pedals, though. What OD works with your Mesa might sound off with the Orange.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Talk you out of it? Okay. Don’t get the rockerverb 50 you insane moron! There’s a 100, and more is better?

(All insults intended in jest, and come from a place of deep jealousy as you potentially acquire an amp I’d love…)

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

The MKIII has the better clean channel.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I love the gain structure of the Orange RV amps, just something cool about them. Got its own thing going on for sure.
Loving it so far

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I found the RV50 combo oddly quiet. It definitely needs some efficient speakers to really get the ground shaking. They definitely look great, and it’s a great tone. Just make sure your cab is going to work with it.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ