IK Multimedia ToneX

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: IK Multimedia ToneX

Post by Eruera »

Does this require the hardware for capturing? Or could you do it with a normal interface and a loadbox?

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Eruera wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:19 pm Does this require the hardware for capturing? Or could you do it with a normal interface and a loadbox?
A reamp box would be needed to convert low impedance (interface out) to high (amp in). A passive DI in reverse could work too.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

My take on this so far (having got the plugin finally working, and with the pedal ordered) is that:

1. It is an amazing step in technology. This has the potential to be quite game changing, given the price point.
2. I reckon the pedal plus a HX Stomp (for all the effects, which the Tonex pedal doesn't have) will be a mega useful pedal board.
3. The tones are NOT yet good enough. But this is not a hardware thing, because you can see on the internet that people are capturing their amp profiles on Tonex, Kemper and QC and the Tonex is able to produce at least as good as - if not superior to - the others. So it instead reminds me of the early days of Kemper back in 2013, where the real issue is that the profiles just weren't that good. Once commercial profiles took off, with the likes of MBritt and ToneJunkie, the quality of tone jumped hugely. And given that those businesses are already set up, I reckon that will come very soon.

Very exciting to see where this gets to in the next 3 months.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:45 am My take on this so far (having got the plugin finally working, and with the pedal ordered) is that:

1. It is an amazing step in technology. This has the potential to be quite game changing, given the price point.
2. I reckon the pedal plus a HX Stomp (for all the effects, which the Tonex pedal doesn't have) will be a mega useful pedal board.
3. The tones are NOT yet good enough. But this is not a hardware thing, because you can see on the internet that people are capturing their amp profiles on Tonex, Kemper and QC and the Tonex is able to produce at least as good as - if not superior to - the others. So it instead reminds me of the early days of Kemper back in 2013, where the real issue is that the profiles just weren't that good. Once commercial profiles took off, with the likes of MBritt and ToneJunkie, the quality of tone jumped hugely. And given that those businesses are already set up, I reckon that will come very soon.

Tone junkie has started putting some videos out about it. I haven't watched them yet though. I'd expect him to start producing commercial profiles soon.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:45 am My take on this so far (having got the plugin finally working, and with the pedal ordered) is that:

I can’t believe it’s only $399 USD and capable of so much, amazing!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Tonejunkie often buys wow/rare/collectable amps, profiles them, and then sells them. Since he doesn't have the original amps he's profiled, i wonder if he can capture the kemper profile of that amp?

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I asked Rubber Monkey if they were going to get these in and the rep said they have no plans. Being the jerk I am, I told him Rubber Monkey would be foolish not to stock these.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:40 pm I asked Rubber Monkey if they were going to get these in and the rep said they have no plans. Being the jerk I am, I told him Rubber Monkey would be foolish not to stock these.
I sent the same question to Music Planet.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Frankly they’d be hard pressed to sell them. They’d have to price them with a margin plus GST. So US$399 would become more like the NZ$ equivalent of US$550+. But you can buy them direct from IKM, shipping takes 1-2 weeks, my shipping cost something like US$45 and no GST

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Kiwiaxe,

Have you tried any professionally made profiles yet? Tone junkie has got a free one - I think it's an AC-30. It would be interesting to compare his toneX profile and his Kemper Profile of the same amp :-)

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:08 am Frankly they’d be hard pressed to sell them. They’d have to price them with a margin plus GST. So US$399 would become more like the NZ$ equivalent of US$550+. But you can buy them direct from IKM, shipping takes 1-2 weeks, my shipping cost something like US$45 and no GST
The Rockshop would sell them for $1800, no doubt :lol:

Might just got the direct route, as you say :)

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:19 am Kiwiaxe,

Have you tried any professionally made profiles yet? Tone junkie has got a free one - I think it's an AC-30. It would be interesting to compare his toneX profile and his Kemper Profile of the same amp :-)
Yes, and it sounded good. I've also bought their TWreck profile pack they've just put out (was about US$14). Sounds great. I'm running the Tonex in the loop of my HX Stomp, now perfectly fitted to a pedal train nano. There's a lot that can be done with that combo :)

Sonically, I can see it being on par with Kemper very soon. The lack of effects etc, and the need to fit it with other pedals is less than ideal for me. And I'm increasingly hating how their editor works (you can only try out a preset by loading it onto the pedal overwriting an existing preset, and their library management system leaves a LOT to be desired). But hopefully they fix that before too long - indeed, ideally with an ability to see the gain level for each preset.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I have enough 'Jam Points' in my IK Multimedia account to knock 120 Euros off the price. Super tempted...

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

aaaaand ordered :)