Mesa Boogie Mk VII

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Mesa Boogie Mk VII

Post by slash-ed »

This thread is making me want a MkV again hahaha
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

There'll probably be a few on the market in a short while.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

Man that guy is creepy.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

Weird, it kinda seems like a downgrade to me

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 296 times

Post by murky »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:47 am
I'm just not keen on valve amps that contain a whole bunch of silicon chips and firmware, that stuff ages quickly and soon becomes redundant, I'd rather just keep that stuff seperate and replace it when the next great thing comes along.
This is absolutely spot on, and makes me itchy. I'm sitting here looking at my bandmate's Line 6 Ax2, owned since new, given to me free....that's 99% fine, but has an unfixable fault (digital noise, clicking, beeping and shit coming through) that makes it unusable and basically worthless. Next to it is the tube amp I used in that same band (Slash Jubilee Head), which cost less new, has been to hell and back, has been 100% reliable and is still ripping.

20 years time, you won't even be able to find the right sized USB cable for that Mk7 port.....case in point, go find me a scart converter to fit my Cubase licence dongle......

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

murky wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:41 pm
I'm just not keen on valve amps that contain a whole bunch of silicon chips and firmware, that stuff ages quickly and soon becomes redundant, I'd rather just keep that stuff seperate and replace it when the next great thing comes along.
This is absolutely spot on, and makes me itchy. I'm sitting here looking at my bandmate's Line 6 Ax2, owned since new, given to me free....that's 99% fine, but has an unfixable fault (digital noise, clicking, beeping and shit coming through) that makes it unusable and basically worthless. Next to it is the tube amp I used in that same band (Slash Jubilee Head), which cost less new, has been to hell and back, has been 100% reliable and is still ripping.

20 years time, you won't even be able to find the right sized USB cable for that Mk7 port.....case in point, go find me a scart converter to fit my Cubase licence dongle......
All I read in this post was “Slash jubilee head”
Is that the first Slash signature Marshall? Mid nineties?
Haven’t seen one in NZ for a while!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

The options for line-level out and headphones are the bits that interest me, to be honest. Would I take it over a powered Kemper? Probably not. But if I knew that all I needed was a Mesa tone but I still wanted the option to go silent, this would be pretty tempting.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Reg18 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:30 pm
That's the one! There's a good reason why nobody ever sells them :-)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

murky wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:37 pm
Reg18 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:30 pm
That's the one! There's a good reason why nobody ever sells them :-)
Never even seen one in the flesh, seems as though you have quite the collection of cool Music gear!

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Haha but that's like a first generation digital amp, things have come a long long way since then. And USB B has been around for at least 20 years already...
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Capacitors have an operational life of 20 years or less in a hot environment. In a tube amp there's only a couple and they're big and easy to replace, but any a digital circuit environment they're just not designed to last that long

Anyway, I like my Mark V, has the best cleans imo.
For the lead channel only I think the earlier models sound better

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

slash-ed wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am

Haha but that's like a first generation digital amp, things have come a long long way since then. And USB B has been around for at least 20 years already...
Noticed something interesting when giving it the "chopstick service" - the copyright date on the PCB was late 80's (I forget the actual date), about 10 years before the product actually hit the market.