Mesa Boogie Mk VII

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Mesa Boogie Mk VII

Post by robthemac »

slash-ed wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:31 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:06 pm And wow, that is quite an amp... Like the presenter said: the three modes on the first channel are all I really need. Yep. But I like that channel 2 & 3 are more open and angry, not just the smooth Boogie violin tone, Some great woody tones in there.
Haha therein lies the issue with the Mark series. Ch1 is three amps which is all you need... but you'll never be able to use them all together. Each time you switch modes you also have to drastically revoice the amp.
This is one of the things that attracted me to the Filmore. Two identical but switchable clean-to-crunch channels.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4158 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:40 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:06 pm And wow, that is quite an amp... Like the presenter said: the three modes on the first channel are all I really need. Yep. But I like that channel 2 & 3 are more open and angry, not just the smooth Boogie violin tone, Some great woody tones in there.
Haha therein lies the issue with the Mark series. Ch1 is three amps which is all you need... but you'll never be able to use them all together. Each time you switch modes you also have to drastically revoice the amp.
This is one of the things that attracted me to the Filmore. Two identical but switchable clean-to-crunch channels.
I know this is becoming more common but why not just use an overdrive or boost pedal?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Yeah, I've experienced that too. Lonestar handles this well, but I'm not sure if this new amp could. I fervently hope that the TransAtlantic I just bought (awaiting delivery) can. :think:

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:27 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:04 am Was there a mark VI?
Nope! :rofl: Apparently they have said its such a leap forward from previous mark series amps that they skipped 6 entirely!
F'real? HAHAHAHA. Marketing :lol:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:54 pm

I know this is becoming more common but why not just use an overdrive or boost pedal?
Different sounds. If you like the way your amp breaks up, it's pretty hard for a pedal to replicate it.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I really like that feature. The Lonestar has it too, though one of then has an additional O/D stage that you can switch in if you like.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Ah, but I heard your Mk V amp at a gearfest once. It sounded glorious.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:55 pm

Different sounds. If you like the way your amp breaks up, it's pretty hard for a pedal to replicate it.
May I introduce you to our lord and saviour, the transparent overdrive :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:05 pm

But amp distortion isn't "transparent". The harmonic content and compression characteristics change as preamp gain increases.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:34 pm

But amp distortion isn't "transparent". The harmonic content and compression characteristics change as preamp gain increases.
Yes, but a transparent OD doesn't mess with the EQ so it gives more of what your amp is doing already, I think these two channel designs are a copout for weird people whose only pedalboard is the volume pot on their guitar and a curly guitar lead, luddites.

If you have any pedals at all you're messing with your amps natural thang.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I’ll raise you a transparent boost, an overdrive is just adding other harmonics not already present in the amp.

And the circle of life…..
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Always On Gang, yeeyuh

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

murky wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:27 pm Mesa's and original 5150's - you think you're out, then they suck you back in, only to realise you've already learned that lesson.....
They're hard to live with. Had a few now and still not totally convinced.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

And the 5:50s too.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I thought the MKV was a great amp, excellent cleans and pretty much any drive sound you could wish for. The channels had independent EQ and then you had the 5 Band post gain EQ which could be tweaked for each channel too. The global Master Vol was great, it was post PI (and loop) so the amp was very flexible, great at low volumes. I have to agree with Ed that dropping the MV was a big mistake, dropping the valve rectifier less so.

I'm just not keen on valve amps that contain a whole bunch of silicon chips and firmware, that stuff ages quickly and soon becomes redundant, I'd rather just keep that stuff seperate and replace it when the next great thing comes along.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...