MDF vs Ply for Cabs

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1389 times
Been liked: 2133 times

MDF vs Ply for Cabs

Post by GrantB »

There seems to be much dismay about the increasing use of MDF, or the new equivalent composite (lighter, more like airy mdf), for cabinets.

What's the logic here? Is it because it won't contribute to the vibrations etc? Too flat?

The weight issue has now been addressed. What is the tonal impact?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Re: MDF vs Ply for Cabs

Post by TmcB »

I think that MDF’s more easily damaged perhaps.

Tonally I don’t see much value in the debate - sealed/ported/open back or volume of air seem to be way more important if everything is tightly connected.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

all the fully mdf cabs ive played have been awful-but then again ive never played one with half decent speakers either.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

I would observe that if you pay $10,000 for a pair of hifi speakers, the cabinets will be MDF.
Cab vibration is considered a tonal factor in small tweed amps I believe? The point of MDF in hifi is to eliminate vibration entirely. For your $10k you will get ridiculous amounts of bracing to ensure it.

My Harmony amp is made out of the same stuff our parents hung up to pin stuff on the wall.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

Cab vibration in a tweed amp comes from the use of a floating front baffle though I.e 4 screws only

I despise mdf due to its weight, toxic dust and it’s ability to absorb 20 metric tonnes of water on contact. If the composites are lighter and are less prone to water damage, i see no reason they shouldn’t be the equal of ply
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:56 am I would observe that if you pay $10,000 for a pair of hifi speakers, the cabinets will be MDF.
Cab vibration is considered a tonal factor in small tweed amps I believe? The point of MDF in hifi is to eliminate vibration entirely. For your $10k you will get ridiculous amounts of bracing to ensure it.

My Harmony amp is made out of the same stuff our parents hung up to pin stuff on the wall.
I was going to say the same thing, MDF is way more consistent as a product compared to ply so you'll get a far more repeatable outcome when you're sniffing farts with your hifi buddies, unless you're laying up your own plies like they do with 335s and the like theres always gonna be some variability with plywood.

All of that said, for a guitar cab I'd always go ply simply because its lighter and more dent resistant, things that matter when you move shit around all the time or gig them.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2503 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

I lined my shed with MDF and come winter it went all wibbly-wobbly. Absorbed moisture like a thing that absorbs a lot of moisture. Ply would've been a better choice. I don't know if this helps but I like to join in. :-)

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Yep my gripe with MDF is the water absorbing factor, it's not resilient if an accident or adverse(flooding and dampness) conditions ensue.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 299 times

Post by murky »

Molly wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:38 am I lined my shed with MDF and come winter it went all wibbly-wobbly. Absorbed moisture like a thing that absorbs a lot of moisture. Ply would've been a better choice. I don't know if this helps but I like to join in. :-)
But how was the ToAnZ?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

What needs to happen is someone here must build two identically dimensioned cabinets, one from this new composite mdf and the other from ply. Then, using studio quality mics and recording equipment, test the variations of toAnz, utilising the same speakers, cable etc.

Anyone?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:50 am What needs to happen is someone here must build two identically dimensioned cabinets, one from this new composite mdf and the other from ply. Then, using studio quality mics and recording equipment, test the variations of toAnz, utilising the same speakers, cable etc.

Anyone?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Nice one JB.

So, not really any real-world difference re wood. Interesting.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

It's the processed meat version of wood, spam wood.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 am Nice one JB.

if no difference to tone, the durability / moisture resilience etc stuff is totally legitimate.

Becoming more relevant if recent weather patterns are going to be more frequent.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jimi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:38 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 am Nice one JB.

if no difference to tone, the durability / moisture resilience etc stuff is totally legitimate.

Becoming more relevant if recent weather patterns are going to be more frequent.
I think that's why Marshall have moved to that new composite. Which is impossible to find data on.