NAD: Princeton Reverb

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

NAD: Princeton Reverb

Post by Slowy »

I've been puzzled for the last couple of weeks why I bought this; I'm just not playing electric these days.

But that doesn't mean I won't in the future and I've always wanted a small Fender combo and in the back of my mind was the plan to someday ask MikeC to build me a Princeton and suddenly, there it was; a MikeC Princeton so I did what any reasonable GAS addict would do.... :D

I took the back off it and gingerly removed the two pairs of BG shorts stuffed inside. ( I don't know, ask BG.)
Hey Danny, you want to buy some extra shorts?

Oh my goodness, it's lovely! A selection of real and inspired by Fenders all sounded as good or better than they ever had before. Even that Parallell Universe Strat with its hateful fake WRHB's produced some pleasing if unfenderlike tones. The clincher for me though was my Taylor absolutely delighting in the Princeton. I'll let the honeymoon play out but it may be time for an amp sell off; including my AER.

So far it's everything I hoped for when my lizard brain said, "BUY IT!".
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: NAD: Princeton Reverb

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:10 pm I've been puzzled for the last couple of weeks why I bought this; I'm just not playing electric these days.

But that doesn't mean I won't in the future and I've always wanted a small Fender combo and in the back of my mind was the plan to someday ask MikeC to build me a Princeton and suddenly, there it was; a MikeC Princeton so I did what any reasonable GAS addict would do.... :D

I took the back off it and gingerly removed the two pairs of BG shorts stuffed inside. ( I don't know, ask BG.)
Hey Danny, you want to buy some extra shorts?

Oh my goodness, it's lovely! A selection of real and inspired by Fenders all sounded as good or better than they ever had before. Even that Parallell Universe Strat with its hateful fake WRHB's produced some pleasing if unfenderlike tones. The clincher for me though was my Taylor absolutely delighting in the Princeton. I'll let the honeymoon play out but it may be time for an amp sell off; including my AER.

So far it's everything I hoped for when my lizard brain said, "BUY IT!".
See you next Tuesday. Actually the following one... 31st... 630?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

A cranked Princeton with the guitar volume rolled back to 'slightly miffed but pissed if you dig it in' is a beautiful thing to behold. Of course, if you want to fly well into 'pissed' territory, you just turn up the guitar volume knob.
Very tasty choice there Bruce.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

The shorts were my way of putting my scent on it, marking my territory as if building the cab wasn’t enough.

And they stopped the boxes of valves bouncing around
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:37 am The shorts were my way of putting my scent on it, marking my territory as if building the cab wasn’t enough.

The glue in the joints is actually made from his concentrated urine.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

This Is not the review my wallet needs to hear!!!

So jealous right now Bruce, congrats mate!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:03 am This Is not the review my wallet needs to hear!!!

I spent this morning playing Humbuckers through it. This amp is the 'Loyal dog' equivalent of my Taylor. (Always willing to do whatever I want, nothing's a problem.)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:20 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:03 am This Is not the review my wallet needs to hear!!!

I spent this morning playing Humbuckers through it. This amp is the 'Loyal dog' equivalent of my Taylor. (Always willing to do whatever I want, nothing's a problem.)
Strat position 4?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

robthemac wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:02 am
Bg wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:37 am The shorts were my way of putting my scent on it, marking my territory as if building the cab wasn’t enough.

we like to call it depleted urineium... it adds a certain je ne se qui.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:01 am

I'm not sure it's healthy that your urine is an effective binding agent. You'd really want to prevent too much stasis in the ol' urethra.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:04 am

I'm not sure it's healthy that your urine is an effective binding agent. You'd really want to prevent too much stasis in the ol' urethra.
You're just taking the piss.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

robthemac wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:04 am

Like many things, BGs Depleted Urineum has found uses beyond its original purpose. Developed as a relic-ing agent. Applied liberally on any organic or inorganic matter produced an unpredictable yet somehow pleasing effect.

Safety equipment and eyewear recommended.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:27 pm
Safety equipment and eyewear recommended.
Especially if you're in the production environment

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Glad it finally arrived and you are enjoying it Bruce. I thought it suited humbuckers as well....

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:45 pm

Glad it finally arrived and you are enjoying it Bruce. I thought it suited humbuckers as well....
Thanks Ian. Right now it seems to be the amp of my dreams; small, combo, sweet cleans and tasty dirt all at a volume that's comfortable at home and everything one needs plugged straight into the amp. I'm in no mood for pedalboards at the moment.

Something that intrigues me: I have a Flint as my main reverb source but I never use the trem side of it. With the Princeton though, I find myself dialling in some wobble; it just sounds so good!

I have done a good thing; this is a lovely amp.