NAD: Princeton Reverb

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Re: NAD: Princeton Reverb

Post by Slowy »

Question: Tone suck problem.

I've put together a board for the Princeton. It sounds very good but further fettling is on the horizon. With everything off though, it subtracts. The amp sounds far more alive with nothing between it and the guitar. Yes I know this is a well known phenomenon except I am using exactly the same board, power supply, patch cables and pedals that were completely transparent with my gigging amps, albeit fewer and in a different configuration.

Before I waste half a day removing individual components, any insight/advice?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:24 pm Question: Tone suck problem.

I've put together a board for the Princeton. It sounds very good but further fettling is on the horizon. With everything off though, it subtracts. The amp sounds far more alive with nothing between it and the guitar. Yes I know this is a well known phenomenon except I am using exactly the same board, power supply, patch cables and pedals that were completely transparent with my gigging amps, albeit fewer and in a different configuration.

Judicious use of buffered bypass pedals.

Or sell a kidney and get one of them fancy things from 89 Pedals or whatever it be called.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:28 pm

Or sell a kidney and get one of them fancy things from 89 Pedals or whatever it be called.
At my age, my kidneys are neither desirable nor expendable.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

robthemac wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:28 pm

Mate, at our age our kidneys work overtime, especially at night it seems :wtf:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Boss tuner, solved my issues.

Actually not using pedals and going back to the pod go has solved all my issues currently. But buffered tuner certainly made a difference.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Playing with the Flint into the Princeton this morning was interesting. I can make the Flint sound exactly like the Princeton's reverb and trem; I wouldn't bet on my ability to tell them apart in a blind test. But the Flint can do so much more. This is especially useful when you want reverb that doesn't make you feel you're drowning. Fender tube reverb is lovely, but there's an awful lot of it and sometimes a sheen of plate is better suited to the occasion.

So the Flint's a keeper then. :D

And the Eastman finally got a turn. The bottom end of humbuckers can really give a little Jensen a fright! Dial everything back and the beauty returns.
And yes Ants, it really is the perfect lounge amp.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

One of the pedals you took off may have had a buffer, which makes your signal more suitable for traveling through pedals and patch cables.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

So… I’d consider myself fairly experienced with playing thru fender fender amps. Especially single coils. I use some sort of transparent boost 100% of the time. Not sure if that would help here.
Fulltone fat boost has been working very nicely for me.
Agree re: onboard fender reverb as getting overwhelmingly washy.
I use a subtle amount of drippy outboard reverb. And when I say subtle I mean absolutely not subtle.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

What patch cables are you using? and quality buffers are always a necessity.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Have you checked the oil?
Tried turning it on and off ?
Is it flashing blue when you try to pair ?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:33 pm What patch cables are you using? and quality buffers are always a necessity.
My patch leads are Lava cable with Switchcraft plugs.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:35 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:33 pm What patch cables are you using? and quality buffers are always a necessity.
My patch leads are Lava cable with Switchcraft plugs.
Thats good, I always re-check cables before putting a new board together, resistance from tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve should be zero, and tip to sleeve on each end should not register :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

20231124_171642.jpg
20231124_171642.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5936 times
A couple of good mates. The observant will notice the new Fender Badge courtesy of Strummers; thank you mate!
And Grant, if you want to open a discourse on hypocrisy, I will hang my head and be silent.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Looks like it should ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Slowy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:01 pm 20231124_171642.jpg

A couple of good mates. The observant will notice the new Fender Badge courtesy of Strummers; thank you mate!
And Grant, if you want to open a discourse on hypocrisy, I will hang my head and be silent.
Now we're talking! You did not let me down, Bruce