Anyone Rocking Vintage Blackface?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 297 times

Anyone Rocking Vintage Blackface?

Post by murky »

Find myself wandering off down the Blackface rabbit hole....

Strikes me that I don't seem to recall having seen much in the way of vintage blackface around? Plenty of reissues. And a few clones (some of them great - Mike C!). And the Hotrod/Blues Deluxes/Deville's etc. And plenty of other brands (Mesa etc) that fly the blackface flag. But pretty skint on the real-deal....

So.... anyone rocking vintage BF or have vintage BF experience? Curious how you run them? Do they live up to the hype? Not all vintage sounds better, but do they?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Anyone Rocking Vintage Blackface?

Post by jeremyb »

It makes you a racist these days! Better hide your gollywog collection too!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I have a vintage Silverface Princeton, which is race-nuetral, and identical to its slightly earlier BF equivalent.

I performs beyond the hype. I have played a few BFPRs and the speaker is the weakest link typically. Haven't played any BF DR's.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I had a 70s blackface Deluxe at one point. Is that vintage? Unfortunately, it stank of stale beer and cigarettes, so I had to get rid of it.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

There's a couple of tasty blondes floating around.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:46 pm There's a couple of tasty blondes floating around.
Thanks, I work out

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

there’s a rebuilt, not reissued, twin II floating around that’s been black faced if that’s of any interest?

A man I know did it, I’ve played it, it’s scary clean and almost excessive clarity, but I have very little experience with such things, I play dirty…

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

There's a well-loved Bandmaster head with a forumite. I have the matching cab which I bastardise with various speakers.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Funny you should mention this. I got some traditional blackface gas creeping back in too.
Currently own a tremolux but no out and out bf
Have owned a mid 60s showman, bandmaster, deluxe reverb combo and Princeton reverb combo. Oh I didn have bassman. Man I’ve had it all!!!
Currently run a blonde bassman 6g6b
Thinking of getting back into the showman game. Mostly curious for the brown face 6g14 but remain AB763 curious

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Grant B, Conway - you boys wind them up, or keep them clean?

Robbie - Bandmaster would stay pretty clean right? Maybe a little grit at the top of the dial?

Twins scare me.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

murky wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:19 pm Grant B, Conway - you boys wind them up, or keep them clean?

Robbie - Bandmaster would stay pretty clean right? Maybe a little grit at the top of the dial?

Twins scare me.
I was dating some twins when I was university, everyone would always ask me how I tell them apart, I said it was easy, Rebecca always wore red lipstick and Steve was a guy.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

murky wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:19 pm Grant B, Conway - you boys wind them up, or keep them clean?

Twins scare me.

Lol, same mate, otherwise I would have bought it off him!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:43 pm I have a vintage Silverface Princeton, which is race-nuetral, and identical to its slightly earlier BF equivalent.

I performs beyond the hype. I have played a few BFPRs and the speaker is the weakest link typically. Haven't played any BF DR's.
We've still got to arrange for the kids to meet too.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:32 pm

Twins scare me.
I was dating some twins when I was university, everyone would always ask me how I tell them apart, I said it was easy, Rebecca always wore red lipstick and Steve was a guy.
Ahhh, re-enjoying jokes is one of the benefits of dementia. Hiding my own Easter eggs is fun too!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Twins scare me.
Bandmaster is not mine and not stock. I spent a month with it. I got no break-up. None. Significantly louder and cleaned than my Deluxe Reverb. Also not as scooped as I expected.