180 watt poweramp into 150 watt cab

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Madzen
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

180 watt poweramp into 150 watt cab

Post by Madzen »

Hi
Im sick of lugging my quad around and want a MARSHALL 1936 2X12 150W EXTENSION CABINET
I've got a mesa 2:90 and want to run it thru this cab.
so thats a 180 watt poweramp into a 150 watt cab
Will this blow the speakers in the cab?
or would this only happen if I really push the amp :shock:

Help me OB1

Madzen

Post by 1964 »

IMO, to be safe, you'd need to keep the amp within 2/3 of max.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

My Fender Bassman combo has a 200W amp with a standard 150W speaker.

I'm told by people who know far more that me, that this is a good thing as far as driving the speaker nicely.

Personally, I didn't believe them and replaced the speaker with a 350W model.

As you can tell - I'm old school, where we always rated the speakers greater than the amp. Apparently, modern thinking is at variance with that.

Also - if I ever need to turn my amp over 6/10 at any time, I figure its time to get a bigger amp. (another old school personal thingo whatsit, informed by personal experience)
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Post by 1964 »

Rog wrote:My Fender Bassman combo has a 200W amp with a standard 150W speaker.

I'm told by people who know far more that me, that this is a good thing as far as driving the speaker nicely.
Not AFAICS, but they might be assuming with bass that you're never going to run the amp at max.

The Bassman is also solid-state, and obviously a bass amp. A tube guitar amp when pushed will peak significantly higher than it's rated for.
Rog wrote:we always rated the speakers greater than the amp. Apparently, modern thinking is at variance with that.
I really think it depends what you want to achieve.

If you want to benefit from alnico compression, you need to push the speaker hard. If you want the speaker to break-up, depending on the speaker, you may need to push it hard.

It also very much depends on the speakers. Some speakers are readily blown, like Greenbacks. Others, like Alnico Blues are conservatively rated.

The Blues are an old-school example of the speakers being rated the same as the amp they're best known to be installed in, the AC30, which peaks significantly higher than its rating, and the combined rating of its speakers.

However, AFAICS, it is still considered normal to rate a speaker at least 50% higher than the amp's rated output, especially for tube amps. And you will find that some manufacturers rate their speakers differently for tube and solid-state amps. A Brown Soun (Tone Tubby) does.

Madzen
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Madzen »

hey guys thanks for the replys
the MARSHALL 1936 has G12T-75 speakers in it
and the most I run the amp is 7/10, so im gonna go for it.
just like to know its been done before with no ill effects
gonna save my quad just in case something goes pear shaped and for the big gigs.
all I need now is some cash :D

Post by 1964 »

Remember that a tube amp will peak significantly higher than its rating!

Madzen
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Madzen »

Do you know how much higher they can peak. does it depend on the amp or tubes at all?
Thanks

Post by 1964 »

It depends on several factors, and so it's really hard to say, but maybe 50%, which would bring the safe level in this instance down to 55%. Unless you are driving it (the power amp) into significant distortion, you should be fine.

However, may I suggest getting someone like Ash to make you a custom cab and loading it with a pair of high-rated Eminence speakers, then you won’t have any worries?

If you simply must have a Marshall cab, you could get good money for the stock speakers and replace them with the higher-rated Eminence equivalents.

Eminence Man o Wars, Red Ryders, Tonkers and Tonker Lites would all eliminate your worries. They are all much higher rated and much more efficient than the G12T-75’s, so they’re much more robust and much louder. The Tonker Lites are much lighter-weight too.

Madzen
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Madzen »

woh thats quite a bit. It would be cool if they was some home test i could do to find out the real output of my power amp is. thanks for the speaker advice im gonna check them out on the net now.
I know mesa make a 2x12 cab with 2 C90 90watt speakers but the price is twice the marshall. Cost is a factor 4 me
Cheers