Amp and Cab

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Amp and Cab

Post by Lyle »

Question time...

I was thinking of getting a 2x12 cab, but I'm not sure if my amp will work with it.
The amp has two outputs at the back, and the manual says that for four 8ohms/speakers use either output one or two, and for Eight 16ohms/speakers use both outputs one and two.
Would there be a problem just plugging a 2x12 cab in to one of the outputs?
Or would the amp have to much power and overload the cab?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

What's the amp's output wattage?

If you get a 2x12 with speakers rated at a high wattage (e.g. a pair Celestion HOT100s will give a total of 200w) it should work just fine.

It really just comes down to the wattage of your amp.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

should be fine.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Lyle »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:What's the amp's output wattage?
It's a 100watt amp, so I guess the output wattage is 100? Unless i've confused myself.
So aslong as I get speakers that can handle that wattage it will be fine?

Thanks for the help.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

As long as the speakers in the 2x12 have a combined rating of over 100w (getting closer to 200w would be recommended) then you should be fine.

And going from what you've described in the manual, the combined resistance of the speakers should be 8 ohms (16 ohms would also be acceptable - just as long as it's not 4 ohms).
THE AMP SHOP LTD

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

I have a Marshall 1936 2x12 mono/stereo Cab .. they have both 8ohm and 16ohm inputs .. speakers are 2 of the bog standard celestion G12T75 watters .. you should be able to run your 100w head into the 8ohm mono input on a cab like the 1936.
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Here's another question for the experts.

I have a 100w Marshall DSL 100 head, with 2x 4/8ohm outputs (switchable) and 1x16ohm ouput.

I have a 1960AV quad with 4x12 Vintage 30 speakers rated at 280w. It has two inputs, one dedicated at 4 ohms mono, one at 16 mono. there's a switch to make them 8 ohms stereo.

Can I run this in stereo to the said AV cab by switching it to stereo, setting to 4 ohms and running two/amp speaker cables instead of one? Will this kill my amp?

*noob question, i know*
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

sounds like it should be fine to me, you don't get much stereo spread for a single cab though....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

The Scarecrow wrote:Here's another question for the experts.

I have a 100w Marshall DSL 100 head, with 2x 4/8ohm outputs (switchable) and 1x16ohm ouput.

I have a 1960AV quad with 4x12 Vintage 30 speakers rated at 280w. It has two inputs, one dedicated at 4 ohms mono, one at 16 mono. there's a switch to make them 8 ohms stereo.

Can I run this in stereo to the said AV cab by switching it to stereo, setting to 4 ohms and running two/amp speaker cables instead of one? Will this kill my amp?

*noob question, i know*
That's the correct way to do it. It won't harm your amp.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:

*noob question, i know*
That's the correct way to do it. It won't harm your amp.

BUT, in my experience running those marshall cabs in stereo doesn't sound particually good. I don't completly understand why, but something happens and it kills the tone

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

its probably a phasing thing which wouldn't sound bad with the speakers seperated a decent distance - only guessing though, YMMV
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Funnily enough I was experimenting with running two amps into one 1960 cab just this weekend.
Had dry signal going the 1959 running at 50Watts through one half and the JTM45 with the echo and chorus effects only into the other half. There was no stereo spread to speak of but the sound was fantastic.

I find effects like chorus tend to muddy up the marshall sound and the echo, a danelectro reel echo tape emulator thingy, causes a noticable drop in level.
Set up in "stereo" like this, I retained all the tone I know and love out of the 1959 and could mix in the stereo effects without no loss at all.

Having said that, I may never bother to set it up that way again. :)

I'm also convinced that 300watts RMS of speaker power is short changing me. I've heard lower powered quads, particularly the new HW cabs running G12H-30s and they sound far better.
Apart from having a somewhat different response curve I believe that they are driven better because the total output is lower. They're just as efficient so the volume level is much the same but the speaker is being pushed harder to ahieve that volume.
To test this theory I thought I'd try half a cab, effectively 150 Watts, and I like it better.

So changing the speakers fitted is an increasingly higher priority. Can't wait!

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

*noob question, i know*
Do you mean switch the cab to stereo (ie twox8ohms) then running two cables to the amp and setting it to 4 ohms?

That would work but its silly, its a mono sound source so why use 2 cables?
Just set the cab to mono and use the 4 ohm jack, then set the amp to 4 ohms and just use 1 cable.

Ive been told that it will sound better at 4 ohms rather than 16 due to phasing when you run speakers in series, dunno how true this is.