Marshall JCM800 2210

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MunkyWrench
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Marshall JCM800 2210

Post by MunkyWrench »

Has anyone got/played with one of these?

These are the less common 100watt two channel, channel switching jcm800's with reverb. I'm not sure if a 50watt version exists.

Some people turn their noses up and balk at the idea of a slightly more complicated 800, but I thiink thats all hogwash and they must be a very good compromise for those wanting channel switching and oldschool 800ness.

Not too sure when they were produced, I assume it would be in the mid 80's.

Apparently Mastodon use one, but I don't like em so that doesnt matter.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Produced in the 80's.

The 50 watt version is model 2205.

I've played a few - some sounded good, some didn't.

Soundpeople have a 2210 - maybe get in touch with Guy and see if you can check their one out.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

lowslung
Stagg
Stagg

Post by lowslung »

Yep. I use it for country/indie rock and it is pretty chur. I'm still in two minds whether to bother channel switching or just to use the boost channel. The clean/crunch channel is great, but does suffer from lacking a mid control, although you can make up for this with the master presence (which I think is a +-6db at 400k). The other thing is that it needs to be played above 2 on the MV, which might sound naff, but I've discovered that under 2 (or more precisely between 0 and about 1.5) the preamp gain shines through and the power tubes don't really get their oomph on. This might sound silly, but my bassist doesn't really appreciate much above 2 (since he stands opposite it at practice) and in a club gig (like most of the AK scene) neither do the punters. Played through a 2x12 this might be a different story and indeed, if you could get your hands on a combo version it would be great. The reverb on mine is good, although it needed to be replaced when I first got it because the previous idiot had stuffed the tank full of glue. So now its a Hammond reverb I think - Clarry did it so its got to be good. Overall great raw sound, cleanish but punchy, and with the option to go balls out on the gain at high volume and sound much like early Slayer. Or you can go glassy Johnny Marr - its your choice.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Lowslung, what speaker are you running?

lowslung
Stagg
Stagg

Post by lowslung »

Standard celestions in a 1960A quad - G12-75T's I think - Hmm must check. I forgot to add, it is a matching quad and head that I bought in Dunedin for a ridiculous price... It had been sitting in a farm shed for years and had dust and straw inside the chassis. The grillecloth is a beautiful tan/tweed that I haven't seen on any other marshall - usually they're all black tolex.

Gorgeous wee monster

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Thought so.

I have the same kind of cabs and it occurred to me one day that you can run them as a duo, i.e. one half of the spewkwer by flicking the cab swithc to stereo and dropping the amp selector to 8-OHMs.

Works quite nicely when you don't want the full quad onslaught.
Just remember to switch it back in case someone sets your amp wrong or something stupid like that.

Hope that helps.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Agreed - it's a nice way to reduce the volume a bit and still get the power section cooking.

That said, if it's a JCM800-era cab it probably doesn't have the stereo switching.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

lowslung
Stagg
Stagg

Post by lowslung »

Nup, it don't. One input, 16 ohms. No luck there

lowslung
Stagg
Stagg

Post by lowslung »

More 2210 news - waiting to pick it up from Clarry tomorrow night. Was sounding 'dry', so I took it in to get a service and new tubes. According to the man, it had the original power tubes in it from 1980 something and Indian made preamp 12ax7s. So... new JJ preamps and Sletvana power tubes, and it will be highly interesting to hear what it sounds like tomorrow night... watch this space.

Formidable

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Should breath new life into the amp - 20 odd years is a long time for one set of EL34s!
THE AMP SHOP LTD

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

I'm looking forward to the tone report on this one, I am a bit of a sucker for the old marshalls. 8)
Greenstone Amplifiers