Using a headphone amp at practice

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Using a headphone amp at practice

Post by Rog »

I've misplaced my little headphone practice amp, so I bought an old WRC Fender Stereo Pak on the weekend.

My question is: could one use summat like this for a feed to the PA at practice (rough & ready) to save carting a guitar amp around? Its not like a POD, but I thought it could act as a preamp in a similar manner.

Note, my band practices tend to be infrequent and I've always taken full gear and ended up playing too loudly, so I thought this might help in that department. It hasn't arrived yet, hence my question (otherwise I'd have set up my PA and tried it out).
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I say yes.

You'd need to try it to determine if the levels and tone were acceptable though.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Thanks, mate. Tone is not a problem as it's just for practice and I don't worry about tone for that, as long as its not all treble. I though the level required to drive headphones would be more than enough to drive a PA input?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Rog wrote: I though the level required to drive headphones would be more than enough to drive a PA input?
Yeah, it would be. Plug into the lower impedance input if you have the choice. I use the headphone out on my Zoom amp modeller becasue the line out is too wimpy.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

ash wrote:Yeah, it would be. Plug into the lower impedance input if you have the choice. I use the headphone out on my Zoom amp modeller becasue the line out is too wimpy.
My Zoom has amp simulation in the headphone jack, but not in the line out. The line out sounds horrible :?
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

My Zoom has amp simulation in the headphone jack, but not in the line out. The line out sounds horrible
Hmmm, interesting. The line-out sounded arse into the computer. Headphone jack sounds great....

What Zoom is yours? Mine is a GM200.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

ash wrote:
My Zoom has amp simulation in the headphone jack, but not in the line out. The line out sounds horrible
Hmmm, interesting. The line-out sounded arse into the computer. Headphone jack sounds great....

What Zoom is yours? Mine is a GM200.
It's a 9150 (which I got new in 1995 ;))
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

just anuther... sortof related post... could u use a pod or some similar digital thing thru a home sterio system?
Metal up your ass bitches.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Yes, but not too loud. You want to make sure the only distortion is coming from the POD and not the stereo or its speakers.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

exactly. I've run the pod into my pc and hi fi speakers. You've got to watch the output levels of the pod depending what speakers you are using.
AFK.