Baja Electronics in CHCH

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Re: Baja Electronics in CHCH

Post by TmcB »

SammyD wrote:I just brought a Fender Super 60 and the tremble knob is broken, it makes the amp cut out if you turn it to certain settings. Think i will take it to Steve next week but I work Mon - Fri 9-5. Any idea's if he does weekend work or will allow me to drop it off to him on a Saturday?
Go to Guy Benfield! I dropped mine off after hours.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

I think the consensus appearing seems to be take amp-work to Guy, pedals to Steve.

I couriered my pedal to Steve and came to an after-hours collection arrangement. An amp? More hassle. I get the feeling Steve himself is happy to work all day and all night, but his wife has laid down the law regarding a work/hobby/life balance. Doesn't sound that queer to me. Quaint, old-fashioned, a desirable lifestyle maybe, but not queer.

Steve is in semi-retirement and is not looking to do more than fund a hobby, though I may be wrong. He is not a chain-store or struggling to build an empire or even fund a family. When he does work, he does it for his own pleasure and at a level he's happy with, he did good work for me. If you struggle with his terms of operation I would imagine he would rather you took your business elsewhere. YMMV.
Tin arse!!

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Terexgeek wrote:I think the consensus appearing seems to be take amp-work to Guy, pedals to Steve.
Yeah man, bang on, Steve is AMAZING with pedals, but Guy is great with amps.

Not a slight against Steve, I just think effects really are his first love.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Thanks guys. How do I contact Guy?
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Guy Benfield

guybanez@mac.com
021 515 184

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Another big thumbs up for Guy Benfield here.

My Amp took a strop at the last CHCH gearfest, a little research indicated that it was probably my power tubes needing replacing and when I realised that it would be best to get a tech to do this I got in touch with Guy yesterday afternoon.

Took my Amp round there after lunch today and we had a chat while he checked it over and changed the tubes. No fuss or drama, great bit of chat, and his etsimate was spot on the money - can't ask more than that.

It's also worth noting that he had a huge stock of tubes, very neatly organised and looked after, all ready to take off the shelf and fix an amp.

I'll use him again if my amp needs attention.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Glad you got that sorted Phil!! Bit of a shame we didn't get to hear it in anger at the gearfest! :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

jeremyb wrote:Glad you got that sorted Phil!! Bit of a shame we didn't get to hear it in anger at the gearfest! :(
yep, never mind there will always be next time - and I might have something else that Ash has been helping me with to show off then as well.

PS - It's John ;)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

sty wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Glad you got that sorted Phil!! Bit of a shame we didn't get to hear it in anger at the gearfest! :(
yep, never mind there will always be next time - and I might have something else that Ash has been helping me with to show off then as well.

PS - It's John ;)
omg apologies Dave!!! ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

jeremyb wrote:omg apologies Dave!!! ;)
Don't worry, I have your number!

:twisted:

:D

spasm6
Ashton
Ashton

Post by spasm6 »

+1 for guy.

He was going on tour the next day, teching for John Mayall but offered to work late that night and do the job.
Picked my amp up 3 hours later. Leaky capacitor and dying tubes were the culprit :?
AXES | Ibanez AS-103BM
FX | Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > AMT Japanese Girl Wah > Jetter Jetdrive > CMAT Mods Analog Chorus > Way Huge Supa-puss Analog Delay
AMP | Blackstar HT-20

bajaman
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 7 times

Post by bajaman »

Ha Ha Ha - I am still here in 2023 and still designing and fixing things - one cannot please everyone, that's for sure ! Once upon a time i would get upset at some of these comments, but that was a long time ago ;-)
warwolf ? - as for your complaints and rude comments - two words, answer machine !
Did your parents not teach you how to leave messages ?
LOL
Stay cool folks - the Election is nigh
Steve Baja

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 365 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Great to hear you are still going Steve. You have fixed a couple of my Fender amps before, bloody nice guy who does great work at a very fair price. Hope you’re doing well
β€œπ‘πžπšπ₯𝐒𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐬 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐭 π₯𝐒𝐞𝐬 π›πžπ­π°πžπžπ§ 𝐝𝐒𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 πžπ±π©πžπœπ­πšπ­π’π¨π§β€

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Steve's a very knowledgeable and approachable guy. He recently help me out with a vintage wah repair by rewinding the inductor to it's original specs.

He's always very generous with his knowledge too whenever I've asked him a question.

In terms if the two dry solder joints comment, yes, the repairing of those solder joints can be as simple as reflowing the joints in question. But while that task is relatively simple in itself, finding the cause is where you are spending the money. You pay for the years of knowledge and expertise they any technicians brings to the table.
Last edited by FuzzMonkey on Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Great to have you on the forum
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius