I'm gonna make my own amp!! maybe.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

god himself
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

I'm gonna make my own amp!! maybe.

Post by god himself »

ok, i'm poor real poor, i can't afford to fork out 3.5k for a mesa head, maybe like 1.5k at a stretch. Reckon i can make one using these schematics?
http://www.schematicheaven.com/boogieam ... tifier.pdf
I figure i'll just leave all the boring stuff like the effects loop out.

What do you think?

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

Only if you're real handy with all sorts of tools... and the transformers will cost you an arm and a leg. I'd expect the parts alone (electronics, chasis, transformers) will set you back in the region of $1500.

Must it be a mesa? There are cheaper amp kits out there. Or you can score an old Holden or Rockit and refurb that for much less than $1500. Rockit SuperLead 130s are a pretty passable Mesa clones...
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

zdali wrote:Only if you're real handy with all sorts of tools... and the transformers will cost you an arm and a leg. I'd expect the parts alone (electronics, chasis, transformers) will set you back in the region of $1500.

Must it be a mesa? There are cheaper amp kits out there. Or you can score an old Holden or Rockit and refurb that for much less than $1500. Rockit SuperLead 130s are a pretty passable Mesa clones...
Wot Dali said. Builing an amp off a schematic is not straight forward. For instance, what current capability will you specify for your main secondary winding on your power transformer? Unless you know how to work that out it is probably better to do a refurb as Dali suggested or get a kit.

Rob
Greenstone Amplifiers

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

God wouldnt play a Mesa...he would play a Bogner Uberschall :wink:
On that note...you never told us what the answer to "guess my guitar/amp" was...
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

don't even think about saving cash by building an amp - and unless you're confident with a soldering iron/DMM you're looking at problems down the road....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

god himself
Ashton
Ashton

Post by god himself »

Thanks for your replys maybe, i should scrap it and get a job.

Nah....

god himself
Ashton
Ashton

Post by god himself »

DaNextSlash wrote:God wouldnt play a Mesa...he would play a Bogner Uberschall :wink:
On that note...you never told us what the answer to "guess my guitar/amp" was...
I'm looking for my camera, so you guys can have a laugh. Noones even come close to the guitar.

god himself
Ashton
Ashton

Post by god himself »

Anyone know where i can get these kits? and for what cost?
Is it just cheaper to buy a pre made amp?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

hows your electronics knowledge? know how a transistor works? or what a capacitor does?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

god himself
Ashton
Ashton

Post by god himself »

To an ncea level 2 level haha. I know the fundamentals, but i'm no electrical engineer.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

you can make an amp on a budget, I've just built a 36 Watt kit - but take the initial budget and double it, by the time you've paid for plywood, tolex, speakers etc for a combo :eek:

Have a look at ceriatone.com for example - a JCM800 kit will knock you back about $820 nzd assembled or $677 for the kit - you still need to build the head sleeve on top of that, and tubes of course.

But a JCM is a pretty basic amp though ;)

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

do BG's trick and get a valve jr, then throw a quad under it!
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Try starting smaller

Post by IkeKrull »

Going straight for the 100W Mesa is possibly not the best way to get into amp building, as youre dealing with a lot of very expensive parts, very high voltages and currents and theres a crapload to troubleshoot - how many tubes in total in a recto? 8? 12?, and big $$$ transformers.

Theres lots of low-wattage tube amp schematics out on the net that would suit a first project a lot better, Building a tube amp cheaply is only possible if you have a volume to bring component costs down.

Also, if you want a loud metal amp on a budget, why get hung up on the tube amp thing? You could build your own 'valvestate' amp first, with a tube preamp and a normal solid-state (or class D e.g. crate power block) power section which will cut the complexity and cost down immensely.

I mean, sure, the valvestate configuration doesnt have the street cred of the 'Ja, look at my amp, it has *von hundred TUUUUUBES*' high end amps, but, are you going to be pushing a dual recto into full saturation much anyway?

Once you have a working amp, you could build a low-wattage power section to get the hang of tube design and construction, and finally tackle the task of duplicating a big mother amp like a dual recto.

In any attempt like this, your first go is almost sure to be less than perfect, and rather than tackling a mammoth project thats going to mean you will be ampless for months while you build the thing, if you can make things that give results in a couple of weekends, then that will probably keep your enthusiasm up, and give you much more to experiment with, without any huge financial outlays.

the_haunted
Ashton
Ashton

Post by the_haunted »

Yeah, these good folks are right. Mesa is NOT the way to go for cloning.

- Way too complex to easily make layouts for.
- the schematics are incorrect.
- Parts are expensive. (the switching IC's are ~$10 each, and there's ALOT of 'em).

If you want to get into amp building, get a kit from ceriatone. This guy sells Great quality kits for crazy low prices. If you really want a challenging, high gain amp, make a Soldano SLO Clone. But It's not easy, and it's not cheap.

Here's mine
Sloclone website:
http://sloclone.yesterdaysrevolt.com/

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

get the kit BG got !

BTW howic transformers will build you a tranny for $150
u will need two
he will need to know what model amp your building to get the specs
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.