Recommendations please

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 815 times

Recommendations please

Post by hamo »

I am such a n00b when it comes to amps (on top of everything else) it's not funny. I want to know about amps that fills the following criteria:

* bedroom jamming only, not likely to need to gig or record
* good for hard rock and metal, but not too nasty clean (happy to match with a good distortion pedal)
* preferrably under $600 new

What say you savages?

Please excuse the fact that every other thread that I start is a question like this, I'm just loving having the ability to ask for guidance from real people with real experiences. I don't get to buy gear often and it seems to be a minefield!
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Recommendations please

Post by slash-ed »

Roland Cube 30?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

My Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 30R is pretty good like that.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

slash-ed wrote:Roland Cube 30?
+1 on any of the CUBE series by Roland, a friend of mine keeps a microcube in the boot of his car at all times. For under $250 new it can't be beat IMHO.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

I was wondering whether the EPIPHONE TRIGGERMAN 60W, LINE6 SPIDER III 30 - 1X10 COMBO - 30W MODELLING GUITAR AMPLIFIER, or MARSHALL MG50DFX COMBO WITH DIGITAL FX are any good. With the Marshall, would I be better off ponying up a bit more for an AVT series amp? I like the look of the Zakk Wylde micro-stack too, but I've read some poor reviews of the non-signature MG15 stack, and I can't find anything on the Zakk one specifically.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I've tried the avt(75 I think) and it was poos. that's why I bought the ox ad60vt. now that's a good amp, but new prolly beyond your price range.. maybe 2nd hand tho. has a nfity wee wattage selector on the back: 1-15-30-60 (and the 60 is plenty for most venues to gig with).
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

rocklander wrote:I've tried the avt(75 I think) and it was poos. that's why I bought the ox ad60vt. now that's a good amp, but new prolly beyond your price range.. maybe 2nd hand tho. has a nfity wee wattage selector on the back: 1-15-30-60 (and the 60 is plenty for most venues to gig with).
That sounds awesome. There's one on TM for $1100 buy now, but that's a bit beyond me. Any idea what the cheaper ad30vt's like? And there's a 50 in there too isn't there?

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

from what others have said on this forum the 15's 30's, 50's and 100's are to be avoided. the 60's and 120's are really the favoured ones.

a 120 went on TM for about 1200 a couple months ago, and although that was a steal, you may ge a 60 in your price range.
big prob is that most people that bought a 60 or 120 bought the footswitch (vc4 or vc12) as well and that was a few hand shandy extra on the rrp of the amp on its own, so sellers are likely to want to recoup that too..
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

The Vox AD30VT has pretty decent sound. My son even took his to his end-of-year concert last year and mic'ed it through the PA. Sounded great. The onboard effects are pretty good Korg stuff, although the ones in the AD60VT and above may be better (ie. more programmable). We used to have a Vox Pathfinder 10 - that was very very good for $99 from CC. For me, its the simplicity of the Pignose for room practice and a secondhand Peavey Bandit for louder stuff, although there is also the Roland Cube 15 that gets taken to practices when we can't be bothered to work up a sweat lifting the AD30VT or Peavey :)

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

robnobcorncob wrote:
slash-ed wrote:Roland Cube 30?
+1 on any of the CUBE series by Roland, a friend of mine keeps a microcube in the boot of his car at all times. For under $250 new it can't be beat IMHO.
Small warning for the un-Cube-initiated though, the 15 watt version does NOT have the nifty Boss COSM amp modelling. All the others do, and are awesome.

From what I've heard the Vox ADs will not do metal as well as the Cube, but are more of a rock based modeller. The Cube can do both decently well enough for me.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

rocklander wrote:I've tried the avt(75 I think) and it was poos. that's why I bought the ox ad60vt. now that's a good amp, but new prolly beyond your price range.. maybe 2nd hand tho. has a nfity wee wattage selector on the back: 1-15-30-60 (and the 60 is plenty for most venues to gig with).
I'm truly flabbergasted to hear Rocky actually buying and recommending something beyond the price range of anyone!
Will wonders never cease? Still that's showing some progress. Maybe a decent tube amp is just around the corner? :P ;)

Hamo, FWIW, I think this year's Marshall catalog has a DVD with Zakk intorducing his signature stack. It gives you a reasonably good idea of the differences and sound of the amp. If you can't get one from your local Cock Rock shop (and I shouldn't have to tell you to tell them you're interested in one of the top end amps to make sure they give you the good catalog, eh? :) ) you may be able to find it on the Marshall website or youtube by now.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

For the price you're talking, the Peavey Transtube stuff is pretty damn good IMO, particularly the Supreme.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Capt. Black wrote:
I'm truly flabbergasted to hear Rocky actually buying and recommending something beyond the price range of anyone!
Will wonders never cease? Still that's showing some progress. Maybe a decent tube amp is just around the corner? :P ;)
:oops: I'm so shamed out! they'll revoke my dutch and scottish passports!
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Capt. Black wrote:

Hamo, FWIW, I think this year's Marshall catalog has a DVD with Zakk intorducing his signature stack. It gives you a reasonably good idea of the differences and sound of the amp. If you can't get one from your local Cock Rock shop (and I shouldn't have to tell you to tell them you're interested in one of the top end amps to make sure they give you the good catalog, eh? :) ) you may be able to find it on the Marshall website or youtube by now.
Thanks Cap. Turns out I have this catalogue, I just hadn't found the CD! I'll spin it up some time today.

Oh, and thanks to everyone as usual, you've been awesome.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Personally I would be looking at low wattage tube amps. Perhaps an Epiphone Valve JR head with some kind of 1x12 cab, that should be around your budget. Just find a pedal to get some gain.