Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

hamo wrote:
DaNextSlash wrote:It's an overdrive pedal. Not a distortion.
Okay, so I'm really going to have to show my ignorance and ask the difference? :oops:
None. They refer to the same electronic process, but 'overdrive' is more often used to refer to gentle levels of distortion , and 'distortion' usually means a lot of distortion.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

Champion, thanks guys.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

that diagram is a bit misleading as the clipped waveforms are smaller than the original signal - certainly with an overdrive, the aim is to boost the signal so it's clipped more by the amplifier than anything else (though a certain amount of shaping/clipping is introduced in the pedal) so the waveform ought to be bigger than the original sinewave. Distortion is more generic clipping within the pedal so the clipped waveform would be more in keeping within the diagram, though it could be bigger or smaller. Bear in mind that either overdrive/distortion is never going to make a SS amp sound like a valve amp due to the harmonic content of the signal and clipping characteristics but they can be used to make a mediocre valve amp sound great :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

bluesgeek wrote:that diagram is a bit misleading as the clipped waveforms are smaller than the original signal - certainly with an overdrive, the aim is to boost the signal so it's clipped more by the amplifier than anything else (though a certain amount of shaping/clipping is introduced in the pedal) so the waveform ought to be bigger than the original sinewave. Distortion is more generic clipping within the pedal so the clipped waveform would be more in keeping within the diagram, though it could be bigger or smaller. Bear in mind that either overdrive/distortion is never going to make a SS amp sound like a valve amp due to the harmonic content of the signal and clipping characteristics but they can be used to make a mediocre valve amp sound great :)
Damn. That was good.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Mm...really clear thinking. Thursday night too...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah but it was bullshit :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bluesgeek wrote:yeah but it was bullshit :D
nah not really, but I'd like to hear the fuzziebro's take on it, he'd explain it fully and tell you what fuzz is as well I'm sure - fuzziebro?

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

BG's right about the diagram, (although it was helpful to describe clipping categories) - if there is only one source waveform, then for it to saturate/distort/overdrive/fuzz ; the peaks of the waveform will hit the top of the graph (the headroom limit of the audio device/pedal etc) thereupon 'clipping' the top's off the sinewave - the more amplification the waveform is given the more severe the clipping until the wave gets soo much clipping it has no time for nice wiliee the worm sine-wave curves and turns into a square-wave... (he he fuzzie wuzzie time, alright!)

There are some nice graphs on this site:

http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html

here is the waveform of my fuzzbox#3
- almost completely square-wave, albeit a touch asymetrically :-)
Attachments
fuzzbox#3.jpg
fuzzbox#3.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 2106 times

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

cool, homebuilt scope?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

perhaps I should start a 'Show your scope' thread, mines beyond ancient....

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

anyone ever tried the software based scopes? I've been too chicken to throw any signal for it into my slappertop
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

about 10 years ago, I wasn't impressed but I daresay they've improved :lol: but I doubt I'd put it near anything over 9 volts

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

considering it's my teleprompter (the slapper) I really am too blouse to try it... :(
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

btw fuzzy really gets into his scope and effects designing.... note the box of tissues in the pic ;)

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

he he show us ur scope... :P

Got this old thing with a bunch of trannies for around $20...
Every time I turn it on might be the last...