Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

porkpie
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Trademe bargin find

Post by porkpie »

I never thought id see the day when i got a real hum-dinger off trade me, its a late 1970's or early 1980's Gibson ES-335 copy, i dont know the maker of it as the headstock is blank, it looks like there was a Gibson logo there for a long time but its been taken off and now theres a 'grimeline' left showing where it was.

It arrived at the crack of dawn today (Saturday) and me in my jim-jams, all blurry eyed ripped into the box to reveal in all its cherry red goodness a remarkably good looking guitar, i was gobsmacked when i strummed an open "G" to reveal that it was still in tune after its flight overnight from Auckland to Christchurch in its 'Cort' brand cardboard box.

The action was as low as you could possibly imagine which is the way i like it, that told me that the neck was at least straight but the 9-42 guage strings had to go. I sat there in the middle of the lounge floor at 8am looking over my new prize and i was suitably impressed buy the nicks and dings and battlescars that this 25 year old veteran had accumulated, i noticed there had been at least two sets of tuning machines on the headstock, now it has Gotoh heads that work well but arnt too pretty, i also noticed it has real mother of pearl block inlays, very cool.

After a quick wipe and a restring and set up mission with my flavourite Ernie Ball 10-52 guage strings it was about 10am and i thought the people on my block should be up by now......CLICK......on goes the AC-30, i noticed my two cats were nowhere to be seen, i think they knew what was coming.

I blasted out my best Peter Green impression with the volume knob of the Vox at about 5 and i kept noodling while flicking the pickup selector up and down, at that moment my wife came out of the bathroom and saw me still in my blue stripey jim-jams with this monster cherry red guitar strapped on and said "does it sound good? do you like it?"
I pulled out a real face-melter BB King lick and said "#$CKIN good SH*T, waddaya rekon?!" (thats my code for "it sounds big fat and loud")
I think she thought it was funny but i didnt hear her as i was in blues heaven.

anyway, ive entertained you for long enough now, im going to play my new old guitar......not bad for $180.
1964 Epiphone Newport
1974 Kasuga ES335
1982 Greco Flying V
1984 Tokai Hard Puncher
1999 Epiphone Japan LP
2015 Epiphone Sheraton Union Jack

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

That is a steal. I can't believe you got that for 180. Great score. Sometimes the really cheap guitars sound the best.

I am about to pull the trigger on a few items on there. I am really excited if I get the smoke Machine I have been watching along with the Strobe. Parties at my house will never be the same again.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

if you have parties, how come we've never been invited?

$180 well spent by the sound of it - its a great feeling when you get a bargain :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Great story!
I only wish we could be so lucky all of the time!
<kicks his new pedal>
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Good on ya - way to go - wake up the neighbours with 'Oh yeah' for me.
You can't do THAT on stage!

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

gregtarr wrote:Great story!
<kicks his new pedal>
Is that the Equaliser? Whats wrong with it?

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

philipnz wrote:
gregtarr wrote:Great story!
<kicks his new pedal>
Is that the Equaliser? Whats wrong with it?
I was going through old posts looking for my sound clips when I saw this.

Sorry Phillip for not noticing this. No, it wasn't the equaliser. It was a Tokai flanger which didn't do much flanging. I sold it, but at a substantial loss.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

Any chance of some tasty up close photos porkpie?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves