TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Re: Pedal cable recommendations

Post by TmcB »

nzsimon1 wrote:OK option 1
12 Switchcraft right angle jacks rrp $9.60 each plus a metre of our best guitar cable $99 plus 7 delivery anywhere except RD address's

Option 2 Add in 2 x straight Switchcraft jacks and 5m extra of the same cable so you can make yourself a good lead while you are at it just add $18

RD address's add $5

Pickup possible

I have some cheaper jacks if the fund drawer is empty
Is there much difference between http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=S510, http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=S240 and http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=226?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I'm just making my own these days having tried the big $ ones....and have them fail on me. Soldering is the way to go too for connections.
Yep, I've tried lava, george l's and plenty of others. The George L's were shitty and kept breaking. I've been using G&H plugs with canare cable for years now and they've never broken. Made them myself (and have developed some pretty legit cable making skill if i may say so myself).

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

Is there much difference between http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=S510, http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=S240 and http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=226?[/quote]

the 226 are switchcraft which is am american co the others are chinese but as good as anything else that isn't switchcraft or Neutrik

although the neutrik jacks can be hard to solder

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I use the cheap EWI cables and my pedal board sounds brilliant. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I bought all the black ones when i was at music planet so i don't get hassled about my cheap cables. The only cheap patch cables I've ever had problems with were the warwick rock cable ones. They were rubbish. Never had problems with the EWI or Proel cheapies.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I can't be assed with soldering, snipping and all of that, even solderless is a pain at times. I just got Ryan to make up a swag of freedom cables for me instead. They did not cost too much and have lasted really, really well. No issues with them at all. The parts he used would make them hard to beat for sound quality too.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

The Lava cable kits are good, especially for someone like me who is useless at soldering and doesn't have much of a pedalboard anyway. It's great being able to make the cables to the length you want. For example, I needed two quite long-ish cables to hook up my Reel Echo in stereo. I did find that the Lava cables needed a little trouble shooting. The design is good, but not entirely without flaw. But once they were wokring they're great and, more importantly, no tone-suck!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

what are those things that are just "male/male" jacks back to back?? They don't seem to be used much, any reason for this??....just asking because I made one from the connections daza oops I mean rhett posted and its great
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Mechanical link between two pedals means you can be putting force on the jacks of the pedals when you press one of the foot switches. I have used them without problem, but I don't any more just from looking at the movement when my weight is on one.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I don't really get all the fuss about patch cables and tone really. Surely a signal path can only be as good as it's weakest link. So given that most pedals have a tiny little piece of hook-up wire between the inputs and outputs of the pedal, I would think that as long as your patch cable is at least as effective at carrying the signal as all those little pieces of hook up wire then it can't be making your tone worse can it? I mean how can a patch cable actually take a signal and make it better than whatever the piece of hook up wire did to it? And when I look at the insanely flimsy bits of wire that come from my dimarzio pickups to the switch on my guitar, I look at my cheap patch cables and think yep, they'll do. I feel that the benefit of good patch cables is reliability, and surely that's pretty much it. so much fuss about George l cables and yet people have more problems with them than I do with the cheap plastic ones.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Having recently tried to recycle a bung coloured one I can tell you that the conductors inside are considerably lighter/flimsier than anything I've seen hanging off a pickup or inside a pedal. Does that make a difference? I don't know. I'm very happy with my home made ones though. Net cost: approx $35 for 10 of them.

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

Tony, I have a spare stack of dozens of 90 degree patch cables from the many incarnations of my pedal board. Work out how many 12" and 6" ones you need, PM me, and I'll work out a sharp $ deal for you bro.
Konx om Pax

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

mr_sooty wrote:Surely a signal path can only be as good as it's weakest link.
Nope. It's more about the capacitance and noise susceptance (not susceptance the electrical parameter). These are both accumulative.

However capacitance makes almost no difference when it is after an adequate buffer apart from in extreme cases. My advice: get a good guitar cable to get you to your board and then don't worry about it unless you have a problem.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

RuBear wrote:Mechanical link between two pedals means you can be putting force on the jacks of the pedals when you press one of the foot switches. I have used them without problem, but I don't any more just from looking at the movement when my weight is on one.
I think I am ok from that regard because all my pedals are the same brand so all sit at the same height which I think lessens the force on them....hopefully.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

As an aside, if we were talking about a cable that was used to carry current (say in the power system) then your reasoning would be absolutely correct Sooty, as the current limit would be decided by the lowest maximum current in the path.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Someone I saw had really thin cable between pedals and I really liked that look, kinda funny looking tips 90degrees.... are those georgle l's the idea of a thin and flexfriendly cable is nice...
Last edited by Tonemaker on Fri May 11, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)