Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kev77
Mr Echo
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 285 times

Greatly disappointed

Post by Kev77 »

I tried the new Line6 "verbzilla" pedal last night, same cold digi vibe as the boss RV series - anyone else tried these yet?

McKnightFX
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 2 times

Post by McKnightFX »

Damn.. they looked promising too.
Except for the shitty issue with line 6 power adapters

Post by 1964 »

The sound samples sound extremely digital to me, so I'm not at all surprised.

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

I was gutted, sure there was some interesting ideas in the pedal, but theres no soul to it at all,.,.
even the echo mode was rubbish.,., sheesh
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

fooey
Stagg
Stagg

Post by fooey »

well you just ruined my christmas... :(

hopefully im not as fussy as you :D since i dont mind the boss one either

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

if you liked the boss youll think your in reverb heaven, Id bought a boss and sold it quickly cause I hated the sound.,. Enjoy

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Speaking of being greatly disappointed...

I got some guitar books with a bunch of stuff I bought off a retiring luthier. I've read two so far. One is the Danny Ferrington book showing off his bizarre guitars. The other is "Electric Guitars and Basses: a Photographic History".

Ferrington is well reknowned having built guitars for a large number of the guitar heroes we talk about. You'd think his work would be perfect, but The first guitar in the book, Neil Finn's, appears to have the binding crudely painted on with a brush! Ry Cooders guitar features patched under the neck pocket where significant mistakes have apparently been corrected and yet another full page picture shows rough sanding maks sticking out like dog's balls under the shiny lacquer...

Hmmm. Disappointing indeed.

The "photographic history" book is by Gruhn and Carter, two fairly regularly published magazine writers. It really doesn't show. The writing is quite mediocre; cliche after cliche. Multiple claims of "The origin of XYZ is unknown" etc. Basically poor research and poor editing. It smacks of being written via dictaphone without auditing, editing or proof reading. And then the content. For a book apprently written in 1994, you'd think maybe PRS would get a mention.... NO! Ibanez? NO! Hamer? NO! Not a word.

BC Rich and Steinberger get to share a page with one photo each. Everyone else who wasn't around before 1970 can apparently go to hell...

Despite that, the pre 1970 coverage is pretty thorough and there's alot of info debunking the various magazine myths about Leo Fender or Les Paul 'inventing' the electric guitar.

Nonetheless... greatly disappointing.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

That's not the worst Ash - that bloody Ferrington book won't sit on any shelf cause of it's trendy crappy shape, plus it's written to make him sound like a version of Grindling Gibbons on speed ('wood chips fly from his sure touch' hossdroppings). Then there is the incredibly boring cd with it.

The Gruhn thing seems to have died - he wrotesome decent articles back in the 70's for guitar player and was the ONLY one just about back then - but even his Gruhn guitars website was out of date recently.

The one I like for general coverage is Tom Wheelers 'American Guitars' and there was also a book a few years ago (name escapes me but it was in the Library) that had Ibanez, Gibson and some other brand (think it was Rickys buit don't quote me) in it - the Gibsons mentioned were the 80's monumental failures including the mark series of accoustics (ever heard one? I've often wondered what they werre like) that looked cheap and nasty, the RD electric series with active electronics, good old LP recording, L6S and marauder.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Speaking of Ferrington, I used to have one of these:

I vaguely remember being told it was a Ferrington, maybe one of the Kramer ones? :? Was a really nice guitar to play, and sounded good too. I think it had a built in pickup as well.
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

You could cause endless old hippies to look askance at what they are smoking with that guitar in a gig by saying - 'y'all been so good folks, I'll just play you a tune on this here D28'.

LOL
You can't do THAT on stage!

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

ash wrote:Speaking of being greatly disappointed...

I got some guitar books with a bunch of stuff I bought off a retiring luthier. I've read two so far. One is the Danny Ferrington book showing off his bizarre guitars.
Hmmm. Disappointing indeed.
I think i've seen that book, my school library used to have a copy. I don't remember seeing all those mistakes that you were talking about, but I was only 15 or 16 and lacked the eyes of a luthier like yourself.

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

continuing on the greatly dissapointed line, anyone here heard about the Exponents doing another
"final tour" of the UK?,.,., just hurry up and die a suitably overdue death
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Post by 1964 »

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

1964 wrote:Kramer Ferrington info:
http://www.vintagekramer.com/company44.htm
The SB model looks exactly like the one I had. Bit scared about the prices that appear next to them on the catalogue photos :? Says $775 (I assume US) for the model I had. I think I remember selling mine, hardly used, for about $250... :evil:
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I got the 2005 Cream concert on DVD for Xmas. THat was a disappointment. I'm Glad I didn't pay $1000 for those tickets. Its really bad.

Alot of their music is just old and was never that good to start with.