meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by olegmcnoleg »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 pm
codedog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:02 pm

I’m familiar with this rabbit hole, in facr you will probably bump into me down here.
The mahogany Martin tone sounds like it would suit you. But check out some smaller Larrivees (om) if you get the chance...they have a lovely sound when picked or strummed, perhaps less warm but also better note separation. If we ever get out of lockdown, consider yourself invited to come up for the day so you can try some different woods and styles
I can't help but feel this invitation should come with a warning that it will "widen and grease up the rabbit hole". Having said that, and experienced Oleg's hand-me-downs, I would absolutely jump at such an invitation if I got one!
You are particularly welcome also. :-)
...I meant to come & visit, Codedog. Next time you are in Germland

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:11 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:02 pm

I’m familiar with this rabbit hole, in facr you will probably bump into me down here.
The mahogany Martin tone sounds like it would suit you. But check out some smaller Larrivees (om) if you get the chance...they have a lovely sound when picked or strummed, perhaps less warm but also better note separation. If we ever get out of lockdown, consider yourself invited to come up for the day so you can try some different woods and styles
I can't help but feel this invitation should come with a warning that it will "widen and grease up the rabbit hole". Having said that, and experienced Oleg's hand-me-downs, I would absolutely jump at such an invitation if I got one!
I can confirm this invitation can be very expensive. :rofl: ( And not to be missed)
I have had 3 Olegs and I barely escaped with 3.
If you are complaining, I can trade back the Lowden ;-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:11 pm

I can confirm this invitation can be very expensive. :rofl: ( And not to be missed)
I have had 3 Olegs and I barely escaped with 3.
If you are complaining, I can trade back the Lowden ;-)
You're well aware it's a compliment rather than a complaint.
And you will most certainly get the Lowden back; when I am dead. :D

Until then, I can't imagine what you could trade........ :think:
There's possibly a couple of things but I couldn't afford the cash difference. And anyway, over lockdown I've fallen a little more in love each day.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I WANT A FUCKING FLYING V BUT I HAD TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP FOR THE KIDS AND NEW SUSPENSION BUSHES FOR THE WIFES ESTIMA.

EVERY MONTH THIS HAPPENS.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

JHorner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:21 pm I WANT A FUCKING FLYING V BUT I HAD TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP FOR THE KIDS AND NEW SUSPENSION BUSHES FOR THE WIFES ESTIMA.

Wow, she must really be thrashing that car ;-)

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:54 am 1993 as best I can tell. It's been well played and sounds like it. My favourite spot is sitting in front of my large lounge windows. The sound bouncing back is huge and beautifully balanced. It's so easy to get completely lost in it.
That sounds awesome! Enjoy lockdown :D

I have a jumbo version labeled S7P. It's not as finely appointed, I suspect, as yours. Cedar top, walnut? back and sides, single piece, mahogany neck. Originally had a piezo saddle mounted pu (since removed as well as the holes for the internal pre plugged up) as it doesn't have the split saddle like yours.

I know Lowden has since changed their model designation system so my one may not jive with the current spec with the designation it has. It has the green edged, oval label (ser.1162) which Lowden dates as between late '85 and Nov. '88, made in Bangor, Northern Ireland, by George and a small team.

My BiL switched me on to them in the early '90s. He has a jumbo too but top-line spec: Cedar top, rosewood back and sides, 5 laminate neck, split saddle bridge and gold do da appointments. It was the biggest, most balanced (compared to a Martin D-type) sound that I had ever heard in an acoustic. Wonderfully 'twinkly' trebles and a (swear to God(s)) piano-like sounding bass and mids that fill a room.

Mine approaches that, especially with newly played in strings (balanced volume across the neck, piano-like bass and loud) but forfeits a bit of the sparkly tops for more forthright mids...maybe something to do with rosewood vs walnut? I kinda hanker for the trebs his has sometimes but never enough to consider parting with this big, ol' girl really.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:43 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:39 am
mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am
A mix of simple finger picking and strumming. I'm not doing any extremely articulated finger picking, and I'm not really worried about big projection as I'm largely playing for myself alone. In general I enjoy warm acoustic tones. Here's an example of acoustic tone and style that I really enjoy (you can get the gist from the first 20 secs). I promise I don't only listen to Wilco... but I do think Jeff Tweedy has great taste in acoustic tone:
One Sunday Morning sounds like a Gibson to me. ( No idea if I'm right). Either way, it seems furthest away from the Taylor tone. You might be on the right track with a Mahogany Martin.

As for Wilco, Impossible Germany is one of my all time favourites.
Absolutely, this live performance of it is top of my list. Nels Cline is something else

This is the Wilco thread, right?

Can there be a Wilco thread? Pleeeaase...my favourite

all time besterest band....ever! :D

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:10 pm
JHorner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:21 pm I WANT A FUCKING FLYING V BUT I HAD TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP FOR THE KIDS AND NEW SUSPENSION BUSHES FOR THE WIFES ESTIMA.

Wow, she must really be thrashing that car ;-)
Although only marginally related (not really at all, maybe the CAPS?), this reminds of an incident from my ill-spent yoof.

I was outside, tending my 'plants', minding my business (very carefully) when from over the fence I heard the neighbour ab-so-lute-ly losing his shit!

Seems his wife must have cooked the car engine.

He was initially outside..."it's a RED LIGHT! What the hell do you think you should do when A LIGHT glows RED???!!.
Door slam...(inside now)...muffle, muffle, shriek, yell...
Door opens, SLAM!
Ol' boy stomps outside and starts up again, "WHAT?! Jesus Christ! Fuck, fuck, FUCK GOD!.....O-N-E.....F-U-C-KING.....CHROMOSOME!!!"

:shh: (I giggled)
Last edited by clubhouse on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:44 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:54 am 1993 as best I can tell. It's been well played and sounds like it. My favourite spot is sitting in front of my large lounge windows. The sound bouncing back is huge and beautifully balanced. It's so easy to get completely lost in it.

I have a jumbo version labeled S7P. It's not as finely appointed, I suspect, as yours. Cedar top, walnut? back and sides, single piece, mahogany neck. Originally had a piezo saddle mounted pu (since removed as well as the holes for the internal pre plugged up) as it doesn't have the split saddle like yours.

I know Lowden has since changed their model designation system so my one may not jive with the current spec with the designation it has. It has the green edged, oval label (ser.1162) which Lowden dates as between late '85 and Nov. '88, made in Bangor, Northern Ireland, by George and a small team.

My BiL switched me on to them in the early '90s. He has a jumbo too but top-line spec: Cedar top, rosewood back and sides, 5 laminate neck, split saddle bridge and gold do da appointments. It was the biggest, most balanced (compared to a Martin D-type) sound that I had ever heard in an acoustic. Wonderfully 'twinkly' trebles and a (swear to God(s)) piano-like sounding bass and mids that fill a room.

Mine approaches that, especially with newly played in strings (balanced volume across the neck, piano-like bass and loud) but forfeits a bit of the sparkly tops for more forthright mids...maybe something to do with rosewood vs walnut? I kinda hanker for the trebs his has sometimes but never enough to consider parting with this big, ol' girl really.
Any Lowden is a beautiful thing. :D Would love to hear yours.

Yes, mine's Cedar top, Walnut back, 5 piece neck. (3 pieces of mahogany and 2 Rosewood strips). It's an S23 Custom which seems a bit of an oddball. It has an Abalone rosette which the S23 doesn't. Green edged oval label like yours, (ser.4339). This is the only one I've owned but I've had an affinity for Lowdens all my adult life. Played quite a few and never met a dud. For me, they are simply the perfect guitar. I got mine from Oleg and he will be my hero for life for enabling me.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I'm still too old school to get my head around this, but it just seems too awesome not to have:
Screenshot_20210929-112715_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210929-112715_Chrome.jpg (172.85 KiB) Viewed 1636 times

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

JoeBlow wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:32 am I'm still too old school to get my head around this, but it just seems too awesome not to have:

I met a guy who bought one of Rory Gallagher's touring AC30s then bought a Kemper to clone it so he didn't have to take it out of the house.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Slowy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:35 am
I met a guy who bought one of Rory Gallagher's touring AC30s then bought a Kemper to clone it so he didn't have to take it out of the house.
I bet. I've been watching countless demos, and they're convincing. I'm attracted to the functionality via the remote. Going to a profile, already with an effect on it, is something I've wanted/needed for a while.

Extremely late to the party though :lol:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

clubhouse wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:44 pm

Some of those early Lowdens are just wonderful instruments, even if they are a little more plain. I have an F35--which comes from the period after George moved back from Japan to Ireland, but before Avalon. It is bigger and bolder (tone-wise) and also Cedar topped. It is the most alive guitar I have ever played I think. (Except maybe a very early J45 I once got to try out...) Especially when it is in open tunings. I'd like to get a smaller Lowden again one day, I had planned to get an all mahogany S Lowden when I sold my S to Slowy, but the deal fell through. I'm really glad it went to a loving home though :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

JoeBlow wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:32 am I'm still too old school to get my head around this, but it just seems too awesome not to have:

It looks like your great grandfathers radio though so it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:03 am
I have an F35--which comes from the period after George moved back from Japan to Ireland, but before Avalon. It is bigger and bolder (tone-wise) and also Cedar topped. It is the most alive guitar I have ever played I think.
And when you said 'trade', this is what I was thinking of. I remember what I said to you when I met it, "This is the best guitar I have ever played."

And the time I dismissed it after 10 seconds? It was still better than mine and I didn't want to dwell on that. :lol: