clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 am If you can find an S model Lowden, you may never want anything else.
What era/year is that? Beautiful instrument...sings like a bird I bet.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:40 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 am If you can find an S model Lowden, you may never want anything else.
What era/year is that? Beautiful instrument...sings like a bird I bet.
1993 as best I can tell. It's been well played and sounds like it. My favourite spot is sitting in front of my large lounge windows. The sound bouncing back is huge and beautifully balanced. It's so easy to get completely lost in it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:35 am
mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:42 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 am

If you can find an S model Lowden, you may never want anything else.

IMG_2560.JPG
Will keep an eye out :thumbsup:. I don't mind waiting a bit for the right thing to pop up, but would really prefer something I could play first, which is a bit limiting...
The Lowden's pushing your budget to another level. But I've played mine for at least an hour every day of lockdown and it never fails to make my life better.
Don't forget Larrivee, Seagull, Guild and Taylor either. Each different from Martin; not better or worse. And in that price range, Yamaha make some fine things.

What's your playing style?
A mix of simple finger picking and strumming. I'm not doing any extremely articulated finger picking, and I'm not really worried about big projection as I'm largely playing for myself alone. In general I enjoy warm acoustic tones. Here's an example of acoustic tone and style that I really enjoy (you can get the gist from the first 20 secs). I promise I don't only listen to Wilco... but I do think Jeff Tweedy has great taste in acoustic tone:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am
A mix of simple finger picking and strumming. I'm not doing any extremely articulated finger picking, and I'm not really worried about big projection as I'm largely playing for myself alone. In general I enjoy warm acoustic tones. Here's an example of acoustic tone and style that I really enjoy (you can get the gist from the first 20 secs). I promise I don't only listen to Wilco... but I do think Jeff Tweedy has great taste in acoustic tone:
One Sunday Morning sounds like a Gibson to me. ( No idea if I'm right). Either way, it seems furthest away from the Taylor tone. You might be on the right track with a Mahogany Martin.

As for Wilco, Impossible Germany is one of my all time favourites.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mule
PRS
PRS

Post by mule »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:39 am
mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am
One Sunday Morning sounds like a Gibson to me. ( No idea if I'm right). Either way, it seems furthest away from the Taylor tone. You might be on the right track with a Mahogany Martin.

As for Wilco, Impossible Germany is one of my all time favourites.
Absolutely, this live performance of it is top of my list. Nels Cline is something else

This is the Wilco thread, right?

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am I promise I don't only listen to Wilco... but I do think Jeff Tweedy has great taste in acoustic tone:
He does have great taste in acoustic tone, but he also has a very large collection of acoustic instruments, and only likes old strings. His limited edition signature model martin was a 00 sized mahogany top instrument (which I'm sure you are well aware of).

He likes old stuff, Gibson made "Kel Kroydon" branded guitars and a '50s Gibson J-185.

I love the Lowden sound but I don't think it will get you into that territory. YMMV

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robnobcorncob wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:45 am
mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am I promise I don't only listen to Wilco... but I do think Jeff Tweedy has great taste in acoustic tone:

I love the Lowden sound but I don't think it will get you into that territory. YMMV
Agreed.

mule
PRS
PRS

Post by mule »

Musicworks have a 00-15M in stock so will give that a hoon.

Interesting info from the staff member. Due to covid-related delays they've got a backlog of 9 months for Martin stock that isn't already spoken for :crazy:. I imagine it's similar for all sorts of products.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:54 am Musicworks have a 00-15M in stock so will give that a hoon.

Interesting info from the staff member. Due to covid-related delays they've got a backlog of 9 months for Martin stock that isn't already spoken for :crazy:. I imagine it's similar for all sorts of products.
I’m familiar with this rabbit hole, in facr you will probably bump into me down here.
The mahogany Martin tone sounds like it would suit you. But check out some smaller Larrivees (om) if you get the chance...they have a lovely sound when picked or strummed, perhaps less warm but also better note separation. If we ever get out of lockdown, consider yourself invited to come up for the day so you can try some different woods and styles

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:02 pm
mule wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:54 am Musicworks have a 00-15M in stock so will give that a hoon.

I’m familiar with this rabbit hole, in facr you will probably bump into me down here.
The mahogany Martin tone sounds like it would suit you. But check out some smaller Larrivees (om) if you get the chance...they have a lovely sound when picked or strummed, perhaps less warm but also better note separation. If we ever get out of lockdown, consider yourself invited to come up for the day so you can try some different woods and styles
I can't help but feel this invitation should come with a warning that it will "widen and grease up the rabbit hole". Having said that, and experienced Oleg's hand-me-downs, I would absolutely jump at such an invitation if I got one!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm I can't help but feel this invitation should come with a warning that it will "widen and grease up the rabbit hole".
Ummmm….
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:33 pm
codedog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm I can't help but feel this invitation should come with a warning that it will "widen and grease up the rabbit hole".
Ummmm….
You're welcome... ?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:39 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:33 pm
Ummmm….
You're welcome... ?
Very welcome, from the sound of things.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm

I can't help but feel this invitation should come with a warning that it will "widen and grease up the rabbit hole". Having said that, and experienced Oleg's hand-me-downs, I would absolutely jump at such an invitation if I got one!
You are particularly welcome also. :-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm

I can confirm this invitation can be very expensive. :rofl: ( And not to be missed)
I have had 3 Olegs and I barely escaped with 3.