Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Cdog »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:36 pm Interesting…any chance of a review after you’ve fanged it for a bit? Keen to know how quiet it is as a vol pedal (any boost?) and what the travel is like for a wah…among other user impressions :thumbup:
Sure... can give my 2c and answer questions. :)
Really looking forward to a smaller (but not tiny) footprint... could shoe-horn a 'verb back on the board!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Cdog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:41 pm
Slowy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:08 pm That's a versatile piece of kit; it combines 3 functions that I never use in a stylish package! :D

To be honest, I really should be using all 3.
Well it's about pretty lights and sparkles for me... but ya never know, might need the actual features one day too :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't think that was a dig (cool pun eh?) at you. I have a volume pedal and wah that never quite seem to get on my board even though I intend it. And today, studying how to drive a Strymon Dig, I was thinking I might need an expression pedal too.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:36 pm ..... travel is like for a wah…
Now there's a thing; do you like long slow travel or short and fast?

SIT DOWN Jb.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Slowy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:47 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't think that was a dig (cool pun eh?) at you. I have a volume pedal and wah that never quite seem to get on my board even though I intend it. And today, studying how to drive a Strymon Dig, I was thinking I might need an expression pedal too.
No Dig's received... Have you tried turning it off and on again? :lol: I have to use Wah, and just made do with guitar knobs for Vol. The real estate juggle may mean my practically unused Immerse reverb finally sees action... win! :D

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:50 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:36 pm ..... travel is like for a wah…
Now there's a thing; do you like long slow travel or short and fast?

SIT DOWN Jb.
Me...I'm a short and fast dude ("Fast an' bulbous...That's right, the mascara snake. Fast 'n' bulbous...Bulbous also tapered")...I like quacking the duck/choking the goose. Except when I'm half-cocked or going for 'vomit tone'...

I knew they were breeding somewhere...

I have 6 feet.jpg
I have 6 feet.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 1254 times

L-R: Vox 'transition model', sounds great for classic tones. Great range/great travel. Italian 'Jen' Cry Baby, my fav. Not as deep as the Vox but travel is superb and gets great quack. De Armond Weeper, thin, nasally sound with the longest travel. A 'character' wah that suits strip-tease/nudie-bar, B-grade movie soundtrack stuff...very greasy and sweaty. Snarling Dogs Mold Spore Psycho-scumatic Wah, has a switchable ring modulator built-in...just fuckin' nuts! Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, go to-work all the time-sounds superb-bish/bosh/bash, travel is about the same as the Vox...a smidge too long for me if I'm being picky.

I've loaned out my Shin-ei fuzz/wah and there's an Ibanez Wau wah about, somewhere, (probably festering away in a dark corner like wahs are prone to do)...wah isn't really my thing but it's fun to slap an unsuspecting amp with, now and again...keeps them on their toes, an' all :thumbup:

As a younger man, I felt I had cause to hurl one across the room at a bass player. Fucked off, I was, that they kept arriving an hour late to rehearsal and didn't give a poop. She just ducked. Never felt the same about wah after that.

What's your wah proclivity?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm What's your wah proclivity?
Mate, I don't have one. for years, wah was naff. Then I got a AMT Japanese Girl wah which I play with occasionally and have a bunch of ideas for, but never get round to actually using.

I often feel like there's barely enough of me to hold together what I'm doing without adding more stuff.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

wah isn't really my thing
And you own 7 wahs? Just sayin. :P
clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm As a younger man, I felt I had cause to hurl one across the room at a bass player. Fucked off, I was, that they kept arriving an hour late to rehearsal and didn't give a poop. She just ducked. Never felt the same about wah after that.
Which wah was it? Cool story :lol:
My first pedal was a spanky V847 I bought with my Strat in 1997. Because chrome, and a photo of Jimi Hendrix I saw as a teenager. After that I was playing Line 6 multi effects for a long time, they were adequate but not inspiring. Currently I have a Boss V-Wah which sounds great, enjoying the Crybaby model.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Cdog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:27 pm
wah isn't really my thing
And you own 7 wahs? Just sayin. :P
I sold a couple before Covid…a Vox V848 (Clyde McCoy RI) and a Dunlop GCB95 (Cry Baby)…needed some cash for GAS habit :lol:

I used to have a side hustle owning/running a small, tracking studio. Acquired all sorts of shit that musos could sub in/sub out, inspire new songs or be production elements. Wahs became one of those things, hence the weird ones because everyone that used wah would already have the obvious choices. Having junk like these around was, to some extent, a cool marketing point of difference too.
clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm As a younger man, I felt I had cause to hurl one across the room at a bass player. Fucked off, I was, that they kept arriving an hour late to rehearsal and didn't give a poop. She just ducked. Never felt the same about wah after that.
Which wah was it? Cool story :lol:
The Dunlop GCB95 (Cry Baby of course :lol: ) I sold. A bit battered but still silky smooth and noiseless. An in joke with that band referred to the Cry Baby as ‘a behaviour modification device’…the ABMD. I’m not proud of that incident…no excuse…but it is funny, eh :shh:
My first pedal was a spanky V847 I bought with my Strat in 1997. Because chrome, and a photo of Jimi Hendrix I saw as a teenager. After that I was playing Line 6 multi effects for a long time, they were adequate but not inspiring. Currently I have a Boss V-Wah which sounds great, enjoying the Crybaby model.
Yeah, man…damned if Jimi isn’t responsible for wah’ists the world over…me too. I rapidly moved on from mangling ‘Voodoo Chile’ to Isaac Hayes’‘Shaft’…loved Skip Pitts. Then it was a rapid descent into ‘B’ grade movie music, Blaxploitation soundtracks, Russ Meyer movie soundtracks, biker/drag-strip/nudie bar stuff…just oily side of the wah street :mental: It was fun, though.

Will you use the Soul Press to sub out the Boss or the Crybaby? For volume and wah duty?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:19 pm Will you use the Soul Press to sub out the Boss or the Crybaby? For volume and wah duty?
I meant to say, the Boss is a Wah modeller, I have it set to 'Crybaby' mode... just the one pedal in my Wahsenal. :lol:
If all goes well, the Boss will sub out, and I'll have volume + wah in one footprint. :)

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

Timely, because this is on its way to me (thanks to Conway/Tone Lounge, eating into my savings since 2021)
890B6456-027B-4E8B-A0B5-A5A3F3E812C4.jpeg
890B6456-027B-4E8B-A0B5-A5A3F3E812C4.jpeg (30.6 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

hercules wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:32 pm Timely, because this is on its way to me (thanks to Conway/Tone Lounge, eating into my savings since 2021)

890B6456-027B-4E8B-A0B5-A5A3F3E812C4.jpeg
I’d quite like that I think, if it wasn’t so understated.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

I’m all about minimalism and natural textures

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

hercules wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:22 pm I’m all about minimalism and natural textures
If that isn't a Coloursound, there's no logic to the world.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Theme from shaft, wonder if JB knows it?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Coming from Glasgow:

1983 Westone Thunder.

I sold my Westone Spectrum yesterday and bought this today. It's better spec'd and looks much cooler.