Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 511 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Zaulkin »

Molly wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:00 pm Maybe a Seymour Duncan pedalboard amp.
Talk to me when you're ready...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

robthemac wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:02 pm I have had Sennheiser SE846, 64 Audio U10, Hifiman RE2000, Meze Rai Penta and Cayin YB-04 (the last two as review units), as well as a bunch of cheapies. I could make arguments for each of them being the best, depending on what you're looking for.
For me I need comfort, I do a 3 hour gig most weekends and if they are hurting me then I'll want to pull them out. - 1964 ears fell short here

I need clear, but not sharp vocals - Current Shure SE215 with custom sleeves fall very short - they have big bass and low mids but poor treble. Great for the money I reckon, but I'm keeping them as backup. They can actually be very good with some EQ but that gets very fussy for live performance use.

I also need them to seal and stay sealed as I sing - big credit to Sensaphonics here, they are comfortable in the extreme and never lose seal.

What I have ordered is ACS. They are local, so I should be able to get the fit tweaked if needed. Soft Silicon IEMs, which in my experience are far and away superior to hard plastic. I got the ones with an ambient port and a -17 db filter. This is a $700 gamble because I don't know if I will like the ambient feature, but I suspect it will be slightly more forgiving of a fairly average stage mix.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Zaulkin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:56 pm
Molly wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:00 pm Maybe a Seymour Duncan pedalboard amp.
Talk to me when you're ready...
I bought a Harley Benton stereo amp from Oldie to ride me over. Seems good considering they're pretty cheap. PM me about the SD just the same.

Thanks

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I ended up selling everything but the SE846 and U10. I realised that I value comfort, isolation and a slight sub-bass boost. These two fit the bill perfectly. The SE846 is great for isolation and sub-bass, the U10 is just way more technically proficient.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

snaffled a Boss RV-2 on TradeMe. I don't really need it but I recall it being a cool sounding warm reverb and for just over $100 why not?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 pm snaffled a Boss RV-2 on TradeMe. I don't really need it but I recall it being a cool sounding warm reverb and for just over $100 why not?
Absolute steal at $100
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Interested to hear how it sounds, the RV3 was prized in post rock circles, don’t know much about the 2!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Aren't the RV2s going crazy in Japan? I can't keep up with which old pedals are hot these days.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:40 pm Interested to hear how it sounds, the RV3 was prized in post rock circles, don’t know much about the 2!
I also have an RV3 which I consider to be a freaky deaky cool reverb delay box, it has an instant 'thing' and on acoustic slide guitar, it's an essential pedal for me. I don't have many pedals, mostly using a multiFX, but the few pedals I've kept are things that do something special and I'd never sell them.

So for me the RV-3 is in that category along with the DMM, TC Electronics SCF, Hotcake. The RV-2 doesn't have the delay + Reverb mode, but in YouTube demos it does appear to have a particularly spacious delay that I'm looking forward to checking out. Might put both RV3 and RV2 on my acoustic pedalboard ;-)

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

1972 Tele ... fingers crossed

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Volante competitor (roughly)
Attachments
images (8).jpeg
images (8).jpeg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:40 pm Volante competitor (roughly)
Nemesis destroys all other delays, especially sterilemon!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:53 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:40 pm Volante competitor (roughly)
Nemesis destroys all other delays, especially sterilemon!!
If money weren't an issue I'd be sticking with the Volante. I've only owned five delay pedals, but have played roughly 15. None of them have sounded as good to my ears as the Volante. Also having the ability to continuously pan repeats from left to right (rather than hard left/right) adds a whole other level of stereo imaging.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Empress Echosystem in the mail soon. It looks a formidable beast. Hopefully it can hold a candle to the awesomeness that is the Timeline..
Loving it so far

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I just got that Alter Ego X4 on TM recently...damn that’s a fine sounding delay. Bit bitchy to use but the tones make up for it.

In the mail - Trinity TC15 kit. Vox and Matchless goodness with a more chewey original AC tone (Modern ACs and clones can sound thin, brittle and fizzy at times).
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves