Total votes: 13

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

People with GAS...

Post by Bg »

... are using it as an emotional crutch to make up for a lack of talent/ability/willingness to practice.

I think I've recovered from GAS, because I've got the Gats I want (I'm short of a Tele) and I can get the sound I want from the kit I have.

Is this wrong?
Last edited by Bg on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

You should add another option:
Still looking for that elusive tone...

I got all the guitars i want anyway, just need a pretty decent amp..

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

done....

and EC has never found his tone... we went from LP to Tele to Strat to LP to Strat to Dobro to Martin to Strat.... and has he found his tone? Nope, he washed it down the drain with the regurgitated brandy ;)

Tone comes with where you are, I'm happy with my tone now. Ask me again in 6 months ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Does this mean there is only ever one mood or limited mood for you BG in terms of tone - or do you reckon your can get it all from the one instrument??

Can't speak for others but all my gear (mostly) allows me to find what I'm feeling a bit better plus perhaps luck on the odd combination. Like you can run through the trad things LP/SG etc /Marshall am or Fender strat/tele/Ricky with a Fender twin but if they are not what satisfys, you can then do soemthing outrageous (like accoustic through preamp, wah, fuzz, chorus etc and 'balls to the wall' Marshall for that quiet, gentle, folk ballad so beloved in the clubs).

It's a sort of emotional release to realise 'that's it - excatly what I need for x or y' and that's mostly why I hang onto/acquire the good gear - anything that does not work reliably/properly gets biffed (one guitar got smashed out of sheer frustration that it would not stay in tune despite months of work by me and repairers) or on-sold.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nope, I can get it from two though... LP and strat.

Saw a covers band called Planet on Sat night. Their guitarist was playing a tele through a RAT, two bluesbreaker pedals and some other stuff. He got all the sounds he needed - including sweet child of mine. Bloody good band...

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Planet are okay.
A full rack of modeller power. Full in-ear monitor system.

Sequenced keyboards.......................ewwwwwwwwwww

Nice eye-candy
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nah, he had a line 6 modelling amp, but didn't use it other than one patch. He's switching over to a Peavey Classic 50. He could certainly play the guitar :) which is what I wanted to hear ;)

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

Yes he is a good guitarist, no doubt about it. But as a band I cant get beyond the whole click track sequenced backing. If we cant play it, we dont play it. It would be easy for me to run the keyboards with a sequencer but then where do you draw the line. Lets add some electronic toms, lets add some synth bass, hey why not a little sequenced guitar. At what point is it karaoke. 100%? 90%? 10%? Its easy to sit back on perfect timing, regimented parts and structure and filling gaps with the fancy bits. But is it a band effort?

At the end of the day a band plays it live. In that respect i have some issues with bands like Planet (there are many others). Of course I'm saying that from a keyboardists point of view. I'd imagine you would say the same about a synth based band that played all the keybopard parts live but used sequenced guitars patches.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, but again its more of what regular punters want and not what muso's want to hear... I don't mind the click track thing too much, as long as the drummer had good timing ;) and synth bass can be good too. I suppose its because some of my favourite bands play to click tracks... new order for one.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Seems to me like it's all to do with what you are going to define as basics and how you ring the changes on those/within those limitations.

For example the midis, click trtacks, electronic sequencing bods sure as heck are not going to be able to change their timing a la Richie Havens - so they make their mark/show their taste in other ways.

Same with blues guitarists - they accept a certain sequence of notes as ideal and it's what you can do with those limited steps as opposed to say ME musicians who have microtones or slide guitarists who have glides.

Weird this music thing eh???

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

Well, call me odd, but I'm for live music, I would rather hear a live keyboard player just as i would rather hear a live guitarist not samples. Planet are good entertainment and I have heard them many times. The times I've seen them the most well received songs are songs are like YMCA and Come on Eileen which were sequenced to the point of sounding like karaoke. Pretty easy for a band to play along to and look good.
Yes, 80's synth bands like New Order do used sequencers but I'm sure your average pub crowd doesnt want to see three guys standing there with laptops like Kraftwerk did at BDO. Then again, perhaps they don't care and we should just go back to disco's

stark
Squier

Re: People with GAS...

Post by stark »

bluesgeek wrote:I've got the Gats I want (I'm short of a Tele)
your disclaimer has been noted... :wink:

no. 3 was closest for me:

1- not me at all
2. yup i do love my gear though
4. i'm happy wth my tone, but "never say never"

i don't need to buy anything else, but i prolly will from time to time if it's interesting and/or the bargain of the year. but i'm past the stage of thinking that a new piece of kit is going to revolutionise my playing or tone.

actually, i wouldn't mind a Tele too... :lol:
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I'm sure your average pub crowd don't want to hear 3 laptop muso's either. But as you said, some of the sequenced songs seem to go down better!

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

yeah i agree with stark..

sometimes its not really GAS..

sometimes a good deal comes by and you'd be stupid to let it pass..

say a custom shop class-5 LP for $2000 who wouldnt but it???

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

philipnz wrote:Yes, 80's synth bands like New Order do used sequencers but I'm sure your average pub crowd doesnt want to see three guys standing there with laptops like Kraftwerk did at BDO. Then again, perhaps they don't care and we should just go back to disco's
Well I wonder about the average gig punter - my thoughts as one back then (sadly mostly memories now) were in order of importance;

1) How good is the beer???

2) Any pretty women unattached??

3) Any women unattached??

4) What's that noise in my ear - Oh no it's a pub band - hmm! not bad - arrrgh me glass is empty - anuvver?? hic! wunnnnerful stuff, burp!

5) Godammit where are all the women???????

etc.