Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 762 times
Been liked: 532 times

How do I split my signal? (DIY cable)

Post by Zaulkin »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a cable for the application below (right click, view image to see the whole picture):

Okay, so I'm trying to make a Y cable to A/B my two ODs. Basically, It's all good up until the point where I need to connect two paths back into the mono jack on the loop box.

I would prefer a cable over an adapter as I think an adapter will take up unnecessary space.

Any suggestions as to how to make the cable or where to buy a high quality one? It doesn't need to be long, It's just a patch cable.

Cheers...

:D

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: How do I split my signal? (DIY cable)

Post by Zaulkin »

I could have probably given this thread a better title, as the signal isn't actually split right? it just swaps the path i.e. when I press the AB box it switches between distortions.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I woudl suggest your best bet ffor a cable is a custom-made job. Ryan should be able to suss you out.

However.....if you feel like spending a bunch of money to change your life and really sort out all your pedal switching problems, can I put a hearty recommendation in for a GigRig...

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGi ... Black.html
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

NZRS_Matt wrote:I woudl suggest your best bet ffor a cable is a custom-made job. Ryan should be able to suss you out.

However.....if you feel like spending a bunch of money to change your life and really sort out all your pedal switching problems, can I put a hearty recommendation in for a GigRig...

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGi ... Black.html
:D Nice try, but then I'll have to buy a forklift to move my stuff around!

I only need/use two loops and a few pedals anyway so a gig rig would be way surplus to requirements.

You're probably quite right about going to Ryan for something like this. Hmmm....

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Meh. A man's gotta try.... :lol:
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

The thing is, I have plenty of mono jacks and some nice canare cable, and some stereo cable to do the job if It's needed. I just need to know what to solder where... and then hope like hell I do a good enough job so that it doesn't break down after moving it twice.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

NZRS_Matt wrote:Meh. A man's gotta try.... :lol:
:) All good.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Theoretically, cant I just have three pieces of Mono cable connected like this?:

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

why dont you run the 2 od's in the loops of the loop pedal and use the aby box to choose between the od's or other?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

Ironbird13 wrote:why dont you run the 2 od's in the loops of the loop pedal and use the aby box to choose between the od's or other?
and who the fuck are you? not bad for a first post ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

BG wrote:
Ironbird13 wrote:why dont you run the 2 od's in the loops of the loop pedal and use the aby box to choose between the od's or other?
:lol: :lol: had no internet access for the past couple of months :cry: talk about withdrawals.
so whats new around here?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

Ironbird13 wrote:
BG wrote:
:lol: :lol: had no internet access for the past couple of months :cry: talk about withdrawals.
so whats new around here?
you are....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Now you're confusing me.

In loop 1 I have my modulation etc and in loop 2 I have my ods which are switched with an A/B box. I don't want my ODs to be stacked together, I want them to be seperate so when one is on the other isn't. Then if I want to add chorus I can step on loop 1 to combine the dist/chorus. If I want to bypass it all and go clean I can hit the master bypass on the loop pedal.

If I put the ODs in the loop pedal then they would stack which is not what I want. Then when I hit the A/B my ODs would be turned off and I'd just have modulation... right?

philbit
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by philbit »

Pudney make Y connectors I'm using one of their 6.3mm Mono Plug to 2 x 6.3mm Mono Sockets to run my EQ pedal in my vox amp.
http://www.pudney.co.nz/con-63mmcon.html#09

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

philbit wrote:Pudney make Y connectors I'm using one of their 6.3mm Mono Plug to 2 x 6.3mm Mono Sockets to run my EQ pedal in my vox amp.
http://www.pudney.co.nz/con-63mmcon.html#09
Cheers. That's what I went into Surplustronics for but they didn't have any.

However... a Y cable would be neater and take up less room. But this I guess if my Y cable ever failed it would be a bitch to reconnect at a gig huh?

Seriously though, does anyone know if my diagram above would work? I think I've mentioned before I'm an electronics noob.