Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

secretmarches
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

What do NZ Guitarists want?

Post by secretmarches »

Apart from tons of cash and l33t guitar skills..

A friend of mine was asking me about the market here, and asked me to check the prices for some stuff. Turns out that places like Rockshop and Music Planet are horribly overpriced and limited (not a huge surprise, but still).
I went on to trusty Google and did a search. Didn't find that much, prices weren't great. (But I learnt that Red Witch is from NZ!)
Sort of mulling over the idea of pedal sales from NZ. We all know that pedals are heavy and postage is a pain, so if I could give you guys an option of buying pedals without such a hefty fee.. what brands would you guys be after?

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Re: What do NZ Guitarists want?

Post by hamo »

NZ guitarists just want chicks, same as in any other country.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Don't forget beer. Lots of beer.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

electric68
Ashton
Ashton

Post by electric68 »

Chicks with beer and their own car.
Myself, being a Bear of Little Brain....

secretmarches
Stagg
Stagg

Post by secretmarches »

(Sounds more like a dude than guitarist thing..)

But seriously, nothing else you guys could want? Competitive market and all that :wink:

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

secretmarches wrote:(Sounds more like a dude than guitarist thing..)

But seriously, nothing else you guys could want? Competitive market and all that :wink:
I would like all the gear I want to be free with beer and girls as a sweetener to the deal. I would like my musical taste to be referred to as 'inspired' and 'profound' and every shitty song I write to be considered 'life changing' and 'essential'. Obviously with girls and beer included.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

secretmarches
Stagg
Stagg

Post by secretmarches »

Haha, the question is What is the gear you want?

Anyway, can see this isn't going anywhere. Thought I could have helped bring something to the NZ Guitarists' table.. thought wrong! :crazy:

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

What type of pedals exactly are you referring to? Can you please define your expectations of 'Limited'?

Keep in mind that with the internet, it is easy to feel like your local music has a 'limited' supply of 'only 150 pedals' (and only another 300 that can be ordered in at customers request) when the internet has every option available to you at the click of a mouse yet the amount of guitar shops in the world which would have the amount of pedals to satisfy your every tonal need can probably be counted on one crippled finger.

There are many threads on this forum regarding new gear prices in N.Z, please use the search function.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7747 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

I bought an HD500, all your pedals are belong to it.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

secretmarches
Stagg
Stagg

Post by secretmarches »

Limited = Nowhere near 150 pedals in store. I used Auckland as a guideline, so I might be wrong. Perhaps those chains in other cities would be better stocked? If I remember correctly I think at that time I was looking for an Xotic EP booster. They had none in stock, and couldn't bring it in either.
I'm not looking for a shop that will "satisfy your every tonal need", am just asking the Kiwis what they think is lacking, and would like to be able to buy without paying half the pedal price on postage from Ebay.

No need to be so dismissive.. unless you work at Music Planet or Rockshop :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7747 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Oh dear.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Hey, we're just having a bit of fun here mate, but in all seriousness, your post makes it feel like you've turned up here, said hello and immediately tried to sell us something. Now if that was your intention all along, you should have cleared it with forum management first. There are guys here that import and sell pedals that sponsor the forum for the privelege of selling their wares here.

I know that's all a bit heavy and I'm sorry if all you're trying to do is be helpful, but you have to see how it looks?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Xotic are a bit of a high end brand (I know because I own an RC Booster) is there an NZ Dealer? I don't know, but I have seen them for sale 'new' on Trademe however neither Musicplanet, Musicworks and Rockshop stock them. I think you'll find that there are a LOT of guitarists in NZ who import from overseas already but you might find that some pedals are quite competitively priced in NZ (not all, but local music shops have become a lot more competitive in recent years. The direct comparison is not worthwhile as it's apples vs. oranges but sometimes it's better to pay an extra $20 and get an NZ power supply and full warranty!) Just my 2c.

Not being dismissive, just trying to be factual. I do work for a major NZ Musical instrument retailer. Good luck.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Both Rob and I work at Music Planet, and there are two members here that work at RS. Both chains do everything possible to get as wide a range of pedals and indeed gear in general to NZers at prices that are not astronomical. Ryan who's handle is customaudioboutique, also does a brilliant job of getting in some of the left field stuff that RS and MP don't stock. As with any country there are limits to what can be stocked at each store due to a number of reasons, space, cost and indeed rights to sell. Ordering from the net is always tempting but it makes it harder for stores to stock stuff at reasonable prices. I know that in MPs case we do everything we can to keep what we bring in to be priced competitively to try to ensure that money is kept in Nz, and I know that NZRS_Matt does exactly the same. So yeah, what do I want? Digitech prices to be a bit more reasonable.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

secretmarches
Stagg
Stagg

Post by secretmarches »

Hey hamo, I understand if I sounded that way, honestly that wasn't my intention. I think if I wanted to I would've not bothered to introduce myself and just pasted some template text in all caps or something. I do actually plan on sticking around, whether lurking or actively posting, not just touch and go.

Regarding gear, I genuinely would like to know what the NZ guitarists are after, and if possible, make it accessible to them – win-win situation! Sorry if I came off as being a money-grubbing newbie.. but thanks for being tolerant and trying to explain your side :)